SLK32 AMG (R170) 2001 - 2004: Discuss the SLK32 AMG.

Need some advice and knowledge

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 01:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
V8, Flat 6, V6, & Turbo flat 4
Need some advice and knowledge

I am looking into purchasing a SLK32.
I am not very familiar with the car so I was hoping you guys would help me out and tell me what to look for.
Any years worse than others? Or any common problems?
I will be looking into getting an E55 for daily driving and the SLK32 for the weekends.
Thanks I really appreciate it.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK32 AMG
Originally Posted by kostas86
I am looking into purchasing a SLK32.
I am not very familiar with the car so I was hoping you guys would help me out and tell me what to look for.
Any years worse than others? Or any common problems?
I will be looking into getting an E55 for daily driving and the SLK32 for the weekends.
Thanks I really appreciate it.
The only problem i know is the Intercooler pump.
I realy love this car.

/Göran
Old 01-14-2007, 01:15 AM

I test drove it today.
A few things:
Is it normal for it to lag a little off the line and then pick up around 35ish?

Also even though it was cold out, at WOT it seemed to have way too much dense smoke coming out. I couldn't tell the color because it was getting dark out but at one point it was a tint of blue since I was stopping and noticed it next to the window.
Maybe this was just a really badly abused one.

But geez, I didn't realize how small it was inside, I barely had any leg room and had to bend them more than needed.

And yes, you guys can use your imagination as to how the test drive was
Old 01-14-2007, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 55 AMG
The gearbox may have adapted to the driving style of the previous owner, resulting in it not pushing as hard at low rpm's. Either you can reset it for your next test drive, or let it adapt to your driving style.

The kompressor has a clutch I believe, meaning it activates at a certain rpm. I don't think it was 3500 tho', closer to 2000... But I think it's most likely just the gearbox not getting your into the right gear for your driving style.

White smoke is normal, and a result of condensation. Blue smoke may be oil, or just a result of some cleaning detergent being burnt off from the catalyser. Drive another one to find out more about the car.

There is no particular year model you should be looking for as it was only built for a duration of 2 and a half years. A late 2002 or 2003 model might have less problems, although the 32 was pretty sturdy to begin with.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Shinigami
The gearbox may have adapted to the driving style of the previous owner, resulting in it not pushing as hard at low rpm's. Either you can reset it for your next test drive, or let it adapt to your driving style.

The kompressor has a clutch I believe, meaning it activates at a certain rpm. I don't think it was 3500 tho', closer to 2000... But I think it's most likely just the gearbox not getting your into the right gear for your driving style.

White smoke is normal, and a result of condensation. Blue smoke may be oil, or just a result of some cleaning detergent being burnt off from the catalyser. Drive another one to find out more about the car.

There is no particular year model you should be looking for as it was only built for a duration of 2 and a half years. A late 2002 or 2003 model might have less problems, although the 32 was pretty sturdy to begin with.
Cool, thanks for all the info.
I'll have to find another in the area and see.