SLK32 AMG (R170) 2001 - 2004: Discuss the SLK32 AMG.

2004 slk32 or m3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 11:10 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 c43 w/lots of mods
ya m3=suoercharger probally isnt a good idea.....but as to over stressed you just have to know how to drive it and you will be fine (the 02's dont have the problem the 01's did

edit...faheem it was good meeting you(kind of) today..when i saw u i thought u wanted to race or something..cool putting a face to a name..hope to meet you again soon

Last edited by eurorides420; 12-19-2002 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-18-2002, 11:16 AM

ML 320 CDI
SLK 32 for me. More exclusive,more joyful with a lot of torque and the possibility to choose between a coup and a cabrio when you want.
Old 12-18-2002, 11:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W203 & W204 3.0L 4matics & MR2 Supercharger
Originally posted by eurorides420
ya m3=suoercharger probally isnt a good idea.....but as to over stressed you just have to know how to drive it and you will be fine (the 02's dont have the problem the 01's did
The detonation problem ?

NP
Old 12-18-2002, 12:53 PM

996 Turbo
Originally posted by Nektopoli
The detonation problem ?

NP
The engine go boom failure:

http://yoy.com/auto/m3_failure_index.html

A lot of M3s had problems not simply the 01s. Apparently BMW just started issuing new parts to the factory so that should fix the problem.

All post November 01 cars till ~ November 02 production dates are affected. I guess we just need to wait and see if any engines blow up from now on.
Old 12-18-2002, 02:31 PM

Ok I have to add a bit of levity here.

Safety Concerns:

* You are driving on a curvy mountain road. The engine fails without warning, spraying oil and coolant under your rear tires. You go off the road, perhaps off a cliff.

* You are driving on a curvy mountain road. The engine fails without warning and takes out your power steering. You lose control, go off the road, perhaps off a cliff.

* You are driving on a curvy mountain road. The engine fails without warning. The sudden loss of traction due to lost power or engine seizure causes you to lose control. You go off the road, perhaps off a cliff.

* You are driving on a fast-moving freeway. The engine fails without warning, creating a huge cloud of smoke behind you. The cars behind you, unable to see, plow into you, You go off the road, perhaps off a cliff..

* You are driving on a fast-moving freeway. The engine fails without warning, spraying oil and coolant under the car. The cars behind you, skidding on the oil, plow into you, You go off the road, perhaps off a cliff.
J/K A bit of editing on my part.

NP
Old 12-18-2002, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
Originally posted by JustinTRW
However, look at it form the perspective of the husband who buys the car for his wife. I know someone who drives a Porsche 996 everyday and bought a C32 for his wife. Does his wife care? Probably not. However, if he buys this car for his wife, he can also BORROW it when he needs to. To me, that is a win win situation. The husband buys his enthuisiast car, but has another nice machine waiting for him (and being babied by his wife).
Very well said. My SLK 32 is actually my wife's car... she's driven it twice
Old 12-19-2002, 06:50 AM

wooh...whats going on...?

Well...what im trying to say is...the slk32 as a roadster is simply a fun "toy" car to own...just like all the other roadsters. And the main reason is the space that im talking about...personally i prefer coupes more than roadsters...with a decent horsepower and similar price as the slk32...for sure the coupe would be more worth it. Its just my idea...and btw i think a sedan would be more of a driver

Supercharging the m3 is just a crazy idea that i already have in mind...but sure there will be some other ways to make it faster than the slk32...hopefully

regardz,

k-god
Old 12-19-2002, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by KurumaGOD

Well...what im trying to say is...the slk32 as a roadster is simply a fun "toy" car to own...just like all the other roadsters. And the main reason is the space that im talking about...personally i prefer coupes more than roadsters...with a decent horsepower and similar price as the slk32...for sure the coupe would be more worth it. Its just my idea...and btw i think a sedan would be more of a driver

Supercharging the m3 is just a crazy idea that i already have in mind...but sure there will be some other ways to make it faster than the slk32...hopefully

regardz,

k-god
True the coupe is more pratical but you can't call either the M3 or SLK32 a toy, each has a purpose and it's differant.

NP
Old 12-30-2002, 01:17 PM
Almost a Member!

BMW Z3 S/C & 99 Mroadster
I can't see getting an M3, BMW is really going away from what made them so great and if the new SLK is what it is looking to be WATCH OUT!! The r170 slk I think posted better skidpad numbers if you could bear with the roll then the Mroadster/coupe.
Not that skidpad numbers mean a damn thing.
I would get a boxster S or a SLK over the new Z4. People are saying good things about the z4 but always follow it up with " it is getting closer to a boxster" I believe the that new SLK with hand BMW its pompous ***.
I feel fine saying this because I currently own 3 BMWS and I have 2 Zseries cars.
I plan on the NEW slk and I really believe it will lose its ladies car image with that killer F1 nose. The slk looks more Refined and finished, where as the z4 looks like they didn't finish sanding.
Now this is the comparision of the M3. THe slk is going to be faster. Again I am speaking of the 2004 slr look a like slk. The current slk ALREADY smokes the m3. Your average joe can get 13's in the 1.4 and I have seen decent drivers getting mid 12's on a stock SLK. Pray tell me a stock car that can do that out of the box, that still holds a style, fit, and pleasurable riding experience?

THE MAJOR MB drawback is AUTO. Get the 6sp. ///M cars dont come auto anymore, well SMG is close, and they send you to a cool driving school.
Old 12-30-2002, 01:20 PM
Almost a Member!

BMW Z3 S/C & 99 Mroadster
Originally posted by KurumaGOD

regardz,

k-god
There are some that have been able to supercharge this motor, RMS is currently has a few Mroadsters with the s54 engine (the same as in the m3) and they are fine. I know a guy with a 2002 mroadster with a stage2 + from RMS that is over 500 to the crank, I believe he is about 399.7 to the wheels If I correctly recall his last dyno. That was about a day after he got it installed and then broke the dyno, so when they get it fixed he will be running another one.

It is a waste of $ to blow the m3.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
1985 190e 2.3l
Ok, this may sound bias, but I would def go with a new BWM M3. They are awesome cars, but if you want to save money find a used 1995 M3 for about $20,000 max and have Active Autowerkes Turbocharge it, you will be at about 450hp for around $30,000 total and have spent 1/2 as much and be alot faster than a new M3. After the turbo I would do an exhaust and other little mods. I have a 97 Dinan Supercharged M3 and it puts out about 355hp and is sweet.

Rob
Old 01-23-2003, 01:47 PM

Honda S2000
I got 3 words for ya.

HARD TOP CONVERTIBLE!!!

That is the one reason that would prevail the SLK AMG over the M3. There is no woman that would be sitting between a M3 and a AMG. Then the AMG drops the top, i dont think there is a woman alive who wouldnt go for the drop. Least i would hope not lol. Just my two cents. I also am faced with the same decision but I am going for the AMG =)