SLK32 AMG (R170) 2001 - 2004: Discuss the SLK32 AMG.

durability and longeivity of engine of slk 32

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question durability and longeivity of engine of slk 32

What is most miles anyone has on their 32? I was wondering about cost after warranty is out and if it is at least a 100,000 miler. I've never owned a supercharger. I understand this engine is hand built, has bigger crank etc etc. I realize it is how one uses or abuses it but mine is 3 years old and 11K miles, just a weekender and toy, but I love it and am curious about high miles on this 32 engine. Thanks for any replies, let's see who has the most miles and if anyone has had to have heads off or major engine work or kompressor go out. Thanks
Old 08-22-2004, 10:06 PM

SLK32
As long as you take care of your engine it will easily last 100k miles. Just don't go by the FSS.

Also do yourself a favor and find a good independent mechanic.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:16 PM

SLK 32 AMG
I bought my SLK32AMG new 3 years ago, since then it has covered 31000 miles without any engine or transmission problems. The only replaced parts, except for the normal consumables, are the accelerator pedal potentiometer and the drivers heated seat element. The engine burns no oil between services, makes no strange noises and runs as smoothly as when it was new. The car is treated with a high degree of mechanical sympathy (not revved hard when cold, no lighting up the rear tyres etc etc). However it does frequently hit the 155mph speed limiter on the German Autobahn I use everyday to get to work, so it's not wrapped in cotton wool either. It has averaged 25 miles to the gallon (11.4 litres/100km) and is still on the original tyres.

I think most of the mechanical unreliability issues talked about in other posts are bought about by the owners themselves (especially when in their next post they talk about how the car performs at the local drag strip). If cars with this amount of power are thrashed it will accelerate wear and cause what seem premature failures. However if they are treated with some degree of common sense and serviced at the indicated intervals I have every confidence the cars will be good for in excess of 100 000 miles without major mechanical work being required.