SLK32 AMG (R170) 2001 - 2004: Discuss the SLK32 AMG.

NOT STARTING Start Error Code 88

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2022, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SLK32AMG
NOT STARTING Start Error Code 88

I have a new problem now after inspecting for an oil leak. At the same time as I was inspecting for a valve cover oil leak my battery finally went dead. It was dying all last winter and I am surprised it made it 11 years. Yes 11 years is what the date on the old MB said. I replaced it with a Walmart 720 CCA that was an H series and a perfect fit.. The battery was only out for one day. I have been having some problems starting the car long before the battery finally went dead. I would occasionally turn the key and nothing. Finally after enough turns it would start and run fine but it was worry some. Now after sitting a week after the oil inspection and a new battery I am getting a trouble message on my odometer that says.. Start error and 88 along with the little MB wrench. The car is a 2004 SLK AMG 32 6 cyl turbo. I changed a dead battery with a new one a week ago. Just after I changed the battery the car started and ran fine. I was having some trouble starting the car before I changed the battery but just thought that it was the battery. I also a week ago removed the top air intakes so I could inspect the valve covers on the drivers side for a small oil leak. The leaking oil was minimal and I was planning to assemble the tools and parts for a valve cover gasket change, but there was no hurry. I was very careful the reassemble the car properly connecting all wiring plugs I may have disturbed. When I went to start the car this morning turning the key it would not start at all. Finally after many turns back and forth I got it to fire it sounded fine. I retracted the hard top and backed it out of the garage when the car died. I tried to re-start it but had the same problems. I finally got it started for a few seconds and it would die promptly. I finally got it started again and promptly shifted it into N and it died again. Being in N I was able to push the car back into my garage and it is safely parked I put the hard top back up with battery power alone. I cannot get the car started al all now. Is this a starter problem, a starting solenoid problem, a key problem, a computer problem or another electrical problem. I did get 3 keys with car from the previous owners. I have tried all 3 and they all act the same way. I have some references to several fuses # 35 and 37 being dirty or a K40 relay ? What's going on here ? I would rather not have to have the car towed to a MB dealer if possible and take out a bank loan to have them look at it.
Thanks for any advice. SK Ohio