SLK32 AMG (R170) 2001 - 2004: Discuss the SLK32 AMG.

Which one is better. slk 32 or the slk 55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 02:54 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK32 AMG Kleemann Custom
Originally Posted by Shinigami
tungster: you want proof? Go read some of the magazine reviews, or better still, go check out the drag strips that were posted on mbnz.org.

Don't shoot the messenger, I'm only stating the numbers I were given. I have a 55, but I haven't actually tested the speed at which it goes from 0-100kph.
Wasn't meant to shoot the messenger. I did go over to mbnz.org and sent an email to the guy in Orlando (I'm in Tampa) who said he ran the 12.7.

Again....no offense intended....I willbe running mine again hopefully next week but i do want to put some miles on the car before we re-dyno it and before I put the pedal down.....don't want to break anything!!
Old 06-29-2005, 10:24 PM

C43, SLK32, CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by tungster
My question to everyone is.......Would it be beneficial to upgrade the suspension?? How much better is a $2200.00 suspension compared to the AMG suspension??

I spoke with Renntech and they told me NOT to do the suspension......just looking for some opinions.
Curious as to why Renntech told you not to do the suspension or do you mean the Kleemann suspension? Renntech sells springs for the SLK32. You can get the Nurburgring suspension by AMG for around $1200-$1300. It includes springs and shocks. Renntech only has springs. They told me they could not find a better match to their springs than the stock AMG shocks. However, I think if you go with lowering springs like Renntech, a stiff shock is necessary or you'll get a little rubbing.

I have the Renntech springs with Koni Yellow adjustable shocks and it is too stiff. If I remove some of the stiffness our to the shock, it becomes too bouncy. I'm considering changing to a coilover setup from x-t-c.com or the Nurburgring suspension. The x-t-c.com setup is both height and firmness adjustable but I'm concerned it will be too stiff like my current set up.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by Yellow R1
Carl, Kleemann, the manufacturer, stands behind its power numbers. If you want to disagree with Kleemann's "advertised jargon", its your decision. You should speak w/Digitec in Newport Beach as well (I have). Their ECU upgrade ALONE produced 408 Hp (at the flywheel) & 442 ft# on the N/A 5.5L powerplant. They got a 25 Hp ECU bump for a stock 360 Modena (impressive for that powerplant since its already tuned to the hilt).

We will have to agree to disagree on the 70 Hp estimate (even sans cams). I say its attainable given Kleemann's above mentioned testing (and my own knowledge & experience - especially for this 5.5L powerplant). If you think a whopping 20% power increase can't be obtained from a full exhaust, CAI, & an ECU upgrade on a powerplant in a "mild" state of tune, I don't know what to tell ya (especially when other people & firms have done it for years - ergo Kleemann, Rentech, Digitec, etc. The header upgrade alone will net 30 - 35 Hp (that stock header on the SLK55 is about as wide as a straw - its a JOKE).

And yes, a cam upgrade is can be pricey. The other mods can be had for under $5k. If you (or Shinigami) want to complain over $5k, thats a personal finance issue - not mine?

No hard feelings, I'm just pointing out we can agree to disagree on some points. Its not a big deal.

See ya,
-Matt
Just show me dyno's,which kleeman does'nt do.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:29 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Wasn't meant to shoot the messenger. I did go over to mbnz.org and sent an email to the guy in Orlando (I'm in Tampa) who said he ran the 12.7.

Again....no offense intended....I willbe running mine again hopefully next week but i do want to put some miles on the car before we re-dyno it and before I put the pedal down.....don't want to break anything!!
No hard feelings

And yeah, don't break anything, that would definitely suck!

If I ever find a drag strip here in Switzerland, I might try to get some 0-60 times myself

My GF was freaked out when I showed her my car accelerating with the roof down, her in the passenger seat, and traction control off. Can you say, WHEEEEEL SPIN on very smooth tarmak
Old 06-30-2005, 05:36 AM

987S
Shimigami and Tungster your discussion about 0-60 times looks like you disagree but I suspect you are actually agreeing....... Shim suggested that the 55 can do 0-60mph in 4.3 seconds while Tung thinks thats not possible and quotes back the 0-100kph (62mph) time of 4.8 seconds.

0-60 and 0-62mph times are always going to be different...... most people assume that the difference is so small that it doesn't matter but when you are talking about 0.1 of a second it does!

It you plot the various times from track challenge on a graph and then work out where the 0-60mph time would be it comes out at 4.4 seconds

0-62mph in 4.3 seconds is NOT possible 0-60mph IS.

Old 06-30-2005, 09:04 AM
Almost a Member!

Talking

Originally Posted by SteveL
Curious as to why Renntech told you not to do the suspension or do you mean the Kleemann suspension? Renntech sells springs for the SLK32. You can get the Nurburgring suspension by AMG for around $1200-$1300. It includes springs and shocks. Renntech only has springs. They told me they could not find a better match to their springs than the stock AMG shocks. However, I think if you go with lowering springs like Renntech, a stiff shock is necessary or you'll get a little rubbing.

I have the Renntech springs with Koni Yellow adjustable shocks and it is too stiff. If I remove some of the stiffness our to the shock, it becomes too bouncy. I'm considering changing to a coilover setup from x-t-c.com or the Nurburgring suspension. The x-t-c.com setup is both height and firmness adjustable but I'm concerned it will be too stiff like my current set up.

Steve,

When i talked to Renntech I told them that Kleemann would be doing my car since they and I are in Tampa....Renntech had no problems with this and I told them what I was going to get done to the car and that is when they told me not to do the suspension. They said that the AMG suspension would be fine and not to blow the money on the Kleemann suspension unless the car started to get squirly then I should consider getting the suspension done.
Renntech told me that the Kleemann kit (ECU, Pulley etc) is almost the same as the Renntech kit (Thats what they said) and they told me to do it....he also said, "You'll be VERY happy with the performance increase"....:o)

Can't wait till tomorrow and I know that I will not sleep at all tonight. I will be flying home from here (Atlanta) tonight and I am off next week so I will have plenty of time to play with my baby this weekend and next week we will do the final Dyno.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:06 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by coolcarlskiC43
Just show me dyno's,which kleeman does'nt do.

I made sure to ask about the BEFORE and AFTER Dyno and Kleemann said that they weren't going to do the BEFORE dyno.....well..I made sure and told them I wanted it done for both just so I could see the differences.

The BEFORE dyno is done and next week after putting some miles on the car this weekend we will get the AFTER done also.

I will post them so everyone can see.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:12 AM
Almost a Member!

Talking

When I talked to Kleemann the other day and they had the shroud and ECU opened up on the lift they said that they were surprised to see that the setup under the hood was almost EXACTLY like the SL in some areas. They also has a set of SL wheels on my car so mine could go to the powder coater and get painted like we planned.

Also the Benz emblems will be gone and the Kleemann logos will be inplace which to me will look better on the car. We will be adding black behind the "K" in the background to match the car (You can see this on their website (www.c2dusa.com)) under projects and they have an SL with the "K" on the rear of the car.

The actual name of the company in Tampa is called C2Design hence the website c2dusa.com.

My car will be posted up there under the projects when it is done with pictures.

Will update when I pick the car up tomorrow afternoon.

Old 06-30-2005, 09:21 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Yellow R1
Buddy, you can't get more accurate.
I'm not trying to insult anyone but please don't call me Buddy in the context that you put it here.

We can always agree to disagree. I have already messaged the guy in Orlando and hope to get a response.

Thanx

Last edited by tungster; 06-30-2005 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:01 PM
Almost a Member!

OK....this is quickly turning into a complete Kleemann SLK32.

The car is finished...They took it out for the AFTER drive and the response that I received was......OMFG!!!! This thing is rediculus.

The guy that drove it said that he's not sure that he'd feel comfortable driving it with that power and the current suspension on it.

So.......we are doing the Kleemann suspension next week since I am not working next week.

I want to go fast......but I want to do it with some responsibility and in a safe way.

The quote tht I received from them was, "We push 500hp and 600hp cars out of this shop, When he got back from driving it he said that he got out of the car with a BIG smile on his face"

This tells me that I am going to be very happy tomorrow morning when I pick it up. They also said that the wheels look great and it looks better with the Kleemann logos on it....I figured that they would say that but I'm sure that I'll agree.

More updates to come when I get it tomorrow morning!!!
Old 06-30-2005, 07:28 PM

So.......we are doing the Kleemann suspension next week since I am not working next week.
Congrats. I'll be very interested in your impressions of the Kleemann suspension. I've also considered it but could never find anyone who put it on an SLK32 and could give me an impression.

The pulley and chip make a big difference in the car. You will be happy. They also have cams if you want to go even further.

Please post pics as well.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:45 AM

Lamborghini Gallardo, Turbo, SLK 55, E350 4Matic, Xterra
pix are a must!
Old 07-02-2005, 10:49 PM
Almost a Member!

Talking

Originally Posted by SteveL
The pulley and chip make a big difference in the car. You will be happy.

Please post pics as well.
I will get pics this weekend or monday/tuesday as long as it doesn't rain.

The pulley and chip making a BIG difference.......YOUR NOT KIDDING!!!

My god the tourque is rediculus and I already have my first kill and I wasn't even trying.

Got up to a stop light coming home and a Porsche Carrera comes up next to me with two kids in it....they ask if I want to go....I said sure....lol
The light turned green and off we went....wait a min...let me rephrase.....off I went!!
By 60 I had two car lengths on him and let me tell you....This thing is SICK FAST!!!!! We pulled over and he looked at me and said, "What the F**K do you have in that car?" I laughed told him and then I asked him, "Did you have the gas to the floor??", He said YES and the whole time!

HAHAHAH....WoooooHooooooo!!!!

Gentlemen....I walked away from him like he was standing still and I still can't believe the acceleration in my little, Non-Prestigious old model SLK32!!!

For all who have considered the pulley/ecu kit....DO IT!! It IS worth every penny.......Man I'm such a happy guy!!!!!

I also understad now why I need the suspension...the car kept wanting to spin the tires as I was going through 2nd and 3rd gear (Left it in automatic).

So the suspension will be done this week since I'm home and not working this week.

I will let everyone know how the suspension comes out and I will get pictures up REAL soon!!

Thanx for listening!!!

PICS ARE UP!!! The wheels make it look a lot more Stealthy if that makes sense.
Attached Thumbnails Which one is better.  slk 32 or the slk 55?-slk32_kleemann_001.jpg   Which one is better.  slk 32 or the slk 55?-slk32_kleemann_small_001.jpg   Which one is better.  slk 32 or the slk 55?-slk32_kleemann_small_003.jpg   Which one is better.  slk 32 or the slk 55?-slk32_kleemann_small_005.jpg   Which one is better.  slk 32 or the slk 55?-slk32_kleemann_small_006.jpg  

Last edited by tungster; 07-03-2005 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:59 PM

tungster, very nice. I like what you did with the wheels. I think you'll find the suspension will really help not only with handling but the look of the car as well. You'll still have issues with getting power down but I will be very interested in your impression of the suspension. Congrats!
Old 07-17-2005, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
How can you say that?? No prestige?? Its a Mercedes Benz and EVERY Mercedes Benz come with prestige! Thats why we buy these cars. I could have bought a Corvette Z06 in 2002 for 5k less than I paid for my SLK32.
At the end of the day when you pull it in the garage its still a CHEVY no matter how fast it goes.

On the comments side of things...I stopped at a 7-11 to get something to drink and this guy pulls behind me and blocks me so i can't pull out. I was putting the top down when I saw him. He motioned for me to come over (There were a lot of people around so i wasn't scared at all) I get over there and he looks at me and says, "Thats must be better than sex!", referring to the car of course. He held out his hand to shake mine and says, "That is one beautiful car and you have a nice day"....No prestige...Please!

Why does everyone have to hate on the Corvettes?

I have a 2003 Z06 and it gets more comments than my SL (or previous SLK32). I think that people feel it's more approachable than the Benz. It's also more visibly modded than my Benzes, so that may be another reason (tubbed, blown, etc - picture and picture).

I assume that my E will just blend in once I get it, since it's just a boring 4dr :p

On the SLK32 vs. 55 argument, it's obvious that the current SLK32 owners are going to feel an emotional attachment to their cars, which will cause most to favor the R170 over the 171. I have not driven a 55, but I owned a 32. It was a fun car, but the styling looks dated when compared to the new car. I've seen the new SLK at the dealers and thought they were nice looking, but the first time I saw one on the road I really took notice. The styling really stands out, much more than the old car.

Performance is going to be slightly better in the 55, but the 32 owners enjoy an easier mod path with the blown V6. If you want to spend big bucks on your 55, you can opt for the supercharger, which will definately give you a potent little car.

Anyway, my .02 - the SLK32 is a nice car, but the 55 takes everything that was good about the 32 and then goes one step beyond it.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:04 AM

Lamborghini Gallardo, Turbo, SLK 55, E350 4Matic, Xterra
tungster: if you don't mind me asking how much were the modz?
Old 07-25-2005, 12:00 PM
Almost a Member!

Talking

Originally Posted by silk32
tungster: if you don't mind me asking how much were the modz?

Pulley/ECU = $3500.00
Suspension = $2200.00
Powder Coated Stock Wheels Modification = $800.00
Kleemann Logos = No Charge

New Mods to come in 2 - 3 weeks:

Scissor Doors = $5000.00

Bipes Vario Roof Commander = $349.00 + install (Not sure about the install price yet) I'm buying it and they will put it in since they will be doing the doors.

Remove Front side bumber orange reflectors and replace with Euro bumper (Does not have the side front reflectors) = $500.00

Smoke rear tail lights down two shades = Not sure yet. Probably around $200.00

Will update as things possibly change.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:23 AM

slk32amg
confused

I have an SLK32AMG. So far not many threats on the road. I test drove a SLK55 last week and found the following. The 55 is a big boy and has the bite to match the bark. The problem is when you nail it and it changed over the traction control delay is painfull. It is like an caged animal with major restrictions. So as far as more mods etc i dont think it will help much. The power is not the problem. The retarderd limiter is.

Price diff not worth it
Old 06-12-2007, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65
Having owned both there really isn't any comparison. The SLK55 is by far the better car. That's thanks more to the new body than the engine though. The SLK55 is stiffer, better steering feel, corners better, you name it. It feels more like a sports car than the SLK32. Power wise they're about the same, but the exhaust note is far better in the 55. Interior wise the 55 is roomier, I used to bang my head on the roof with the top up all the time in the 32. Never in the 55. The dash material is debatable, but I'll say this the black rubbery stuff doesn't burn you like the materials in the 32 did which is a huge plus especially here in Texas where the sun is very strong. The 55 looks better from the outside; more agressive than the 32. Gadetry the 55 is far more advanced, though I think the CD changer in the glove box is dumb but at least it's more accessable than the trunk.

Honestly I can't think of any area where the 32 is better.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
is this a joke?

Sorry R170 owners ... but seriously ...

Thats like asking if my 1999E55 is better than a 2006E55.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:07 PM

SLK32
Originally Posted by SLK55R
Sorry R170 owners ... but seriously ...

Thats like asking if my 1999E55 is better than a 2006E55.
Except that the SLK's exerior got much uglier with the release of the R171 and performance wise the SLK's are much closer than the E55's in your example.

Interior on the SLK55's are much nicer and it does sound better.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lotus Elise SLK55
Originally Posted by 430
Except that the SLK's exerior got much uglier with the release of the R171

Oh c'mon... pretty much every magazine review of the new generation SLK mentioned how much better and sportier it looks in comparison to the old SLK. Any sane person would agree that new SLK is leagues ahead of the old SLK in terms of design.. the whole point of the SLK redesign was to make it more sporty and agressive so that it appeals to men more. As far as performance, here is what C&D had to say in regards to the R170 vs R171 SLK:

"The first SLK never got its acceptance letter into the sports' car class... dynamically it didn't sing the way a sports car should. After seven years of being wait-listed from the class, the new SLK can finally matriculate with the best from Europe, Japan, and the US. Its quite a shock that a poseur can become so wonderfully genuine overnight"

Pretty much every other review of the new SLK says the same thing BTW. The consensus seems to be that:
Old SLK = boulevard cruiser
new SLK = real sports car
Old 06-12-2007, 07:08 PM

SLK 55 AMG
Oh, this one again

Hey, nowadays, a second hand 32 with (relatively) low mileage, can be had for some insance prices. Not a bad choice if you want something roughly as quick as a brand new SLK55.

And what was said about the 55 interior dash material is true, it doesn't burn your body even if left in the sun. Just put your bare arm on the window sill while driving and all is ok.

I wonder what 0-60 times Tungster got with his car after the mods? His 32 really looks sweet in black with the silver rim exterior on the wheels With a stubby antenna, would look even better IMO.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
Originally Posted by 430
Except that the SLK's exerior got much uglier with the release of the R171 and performance wise the SLK's are much closer than the E55's in your example.

Interior on the SLK55's are much nicer and it does sound better.

Sure ... whatever makes you feel better about your car!

Btw the SLK32 was a great car for its time ... but as with almost all cars as the newer version come out ... they are almost always much better. I expect to be saying the same about the SLK55 when the new R172? SLK comes out.

BTW I'd be happy to run a modified SLK32 anytime. standing start, rolling start, 1/4 mile, top speed, straight line, curves etc.

Last edited by SLK55R; 06-12-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:45 PM

Received 154 Likes on 38 Posts
c63 BS; lc500; F-pace SVR; Jaguar P8, c63 p31
Asking the wrong folks

If you really want an honest answer/opinion, don't post this question in either r170 or r171 forums. Owner of each one is going to say theirs is better!! Post it in the Sl, C, or E class forum and you will get some objective answers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which one is better. slk 32 or the slk 55?