SLK32 AMG (R170) 2001 - 2004: Discuss the SLK32 AMG.

Which one is better. slk 32 or the slk 55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by Lizard
*yelling*
Some of us have, and currently own both/either. I think we can give a pretty objective point of view.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:55 PM

SLK32
Sorry guys I just can't get past the ugly camel nose on the R171's. I seriously considered getting one shortly after they came out but never could get past the nose and had serious issues with the durability of the interior dash material.

They have fixed the dash material but not the nose.

I have seen some fantastic times on the SLK55's at the drag strip. But I have yet to lose to one on the track or the drag strip.

I am more than happy to line up against an SLK55 anytime. I will even line up against SLK55R's car. Despite running ~6-7mph and a bit under a second better than me in the 1/4 mile. Of course since we are on opposite sides of the country the chance of that are pretty slim.

As far as me having to take an attitude about something to make me feel better about my car. Dude I would just go get something else if I had issues with the car.

My biggest disappointment with the SLK32 is how cheap they can be purchased for these days.

Last edited by 430; 06-13-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:43 AM
Almost a Member!

slk32 Renntech
Angry I am getting tired of reading power, and more power

I think the front look and the interior of th R171 are great. Much better than the R170's.
However, Mercedes continue to fall the front windshield downwards, to a point making one feel like not in a convertible no more. With the top of the windshield almost over my head, I can see little sky. I feel almost like in a coupe with its sunroof open. It may look sporty, the drag maybe reduced, but the sensation inside a convertible is diminished! I don't like it. I thought the windshied angle on my slk32 was too much, the 171 is worse.
The second thing bathers me in a slk55 is the high door top (waist line?). It is so high, I feel safe alright but caged. Again, my slk32 is not so good, the slk55 is even higher, definitely feel like sitting in a bath tub. I love when I can relax and put my left arm on the door top when I am cursing. Can't do that anymore, not comfortably in the 171. For those who want to argue this point and for Mercedes desingers, please look at an early miata or Alfa R. to understand the design factors to a good driving position in a convertible, then we will talk HP.

Last edited by jerryxu; 06-17-2007 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:59 PM

SLK32
One of the things that I liked about the M Roadster (seriously considered pre SLK32 purchase) was the seating position. It was much more of a "drivers car" and had a much better seating postion.

I would agree that the windshield is kind of a poor placement. From my perspective not from taking away from the convertible feeling but due to blocking view of red lights and such.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:53 PM
Almost a Member!

slk32 Renntech
Originally Posted by SteveL
Curious as to why Renntech told you not to do the suspension or do you mean the Kleemann suspension? Renntech sells springs for the SLK32. You can get the Nurburgring suspension by AMG for around $1200-$1300. It includes springs and shocks. Renntech only has springs. They told me they could not find a better match to their springs than the stock AMG shocks. However, I think if you go with lowering springs like Renntech, a stiff shock is necessary or you'll get a little rubbing.

I have the Renntech springs with Koni Yellow adjustable shocks and it is too stiff. If I remove some of the stiffness our to the shock, it becomes too bouncy. I'm considering changing to a coilover setup from x-t-c.com or the Nurburgring suspension. The x-t-c.com setup is both height and firmness adjustable but I'm concerned it will be too stiff like my current set up.
Steve,
Have you tried Koni adjustable shocks with stock springs (you still have them in your garage, right?)?
I think it is worthwhile if the combo of renntech + Koni is either too stiff or too bouncy after shock adjustment. This is usually an indication the the spring rates are too strong (when the Koni shock is adjusted to match the renntech spring, ride is too stiff, when the shock is reduced, the damping rate is not enough for the spring so it's bouncy). One of the BMW approaches is "weaker spring + stiff shocks." that gives both tight and flat corner and comfortable rides. I think you may find the weaker stock springs + Koni ajustable ideal

Last edited by jerryxu; 06-23-2007 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:31 AM

SLK32
One thing you guys forgot about is altitude, I stay in Johannesburg South Africa and I can tell you my Mom's SLK32 will have no problem seeing off a SLK55 any day of the week. That's why I also drive a turbocharged car....

Johannesburg, SA, Elevation: 1,753 M (5,751.3 FT)
At this altitude a N/A car looses about 23% power while forcefed is only around 5-8%

P.S. There was a test conducted here recently between the new E92 335i and E92M3 and the M3 is only fractionally quicker than the 335i so if you push up the boost of the 335i it's good bye M3!... and for much less money...

Last edited by deono; 12-14-2007 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:20 AM

minicooper s, jeep, ml 55, mbz 600 sl
well 4 me the 32...

because I have one and it its a pretty unique looking vehicle...look at a 300 gull wing and you will see a lot of styling similarities. (no im not claiming its a gullwing) the 55 is too much like a mclaren (hood etc) for my tastes. I prefer the unique to the sheep herd...