SLK32 AMG (R170) 2001 - 2004: Discuss the SLK32 AMG.

Sport exhaust options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 07:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 SL550 and 2013 Ferrari California
Sport exhaust options

I told my brother I’d ask around about any sport exhaust options available for his 2003 SLK32 AMG. I have a 2008 SL550 and it was relatively simple to replace the rear mufflers to improve the exhaust note, but I have no idea what his car’s exhaust system looks like or what might be available. Has anyone got any experience with relatively simple (inexpensive!) sport exhaust upgrades? Thanks.
Old 01-24-2024, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 225 Likes on 171 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by War Party
I told my brother I’d ask around about any sport exhaust options available for his 2003 SLK32 AMG. I have a 2008 SL550 and it was relatively simple to replace the rear mufflers to improve the exhaust note, but I have no idea what his car’s exhaust system looks like or what might be available. Has anyone got any experience with relatively simple (inexpensive!) sport exhaust upgrades? Thanks.
Forever disappointed by the exhaust note of my 2002 SLK32 (this is my 3rd SLK32), and spoiled by the sound of my SL55 (with headers and renntech mufflers), I updated my SLK32s exhaust a while back.

It already has empty cats, so I first tried removing the resonator (between rear cats and muffler) .... and I did NOT like how that sounded so put it back. Next I tried replacing the muffler with a single stage flomaster (it is all that I had that would fit easily) .... that sounded awful as well (shown in first pic).
Finally, I picked up a borla muffler (XR-1 raceline # 40943) and installed it along with some china-sourced AMG tips (no room for original/real amg tips) and a Hemholtz resonator that I made/tuned to get rid of the drone. It is not super loud and has a much improved note.

While this does not come close to the sound my SL55 makes, it does sound a lot better than before (and is good enough for me).

here are a couple of pics.

nasty (hated it) magnaflo on left, factory muffler on right

Finished set-up

Final installation

This is how it fits (tuned resonator not installed yet is this pic)

Feel free to send me a note if your brother has any questions about this (or adding paddle shifters to his SLK32)
Cheers,
Chris
The following users liked this post:
War Party (01-24-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 05:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 SL550 and 2013 Ferrari California
Great, thanks!