Any truth to the rumor?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
Originally Posted by AMGgirl
I can't help you on this rumor Frenchie but I will be very pissed if it is true! I have the 05' SLK55 and I would prefer the 6.3 if it became available...
lol Audrey wtf you doing here? This be The Godfather

Frenchie, est ce que tu c'est toi qui est sur bnzsport.com ou tu es un autre Frenchie?
Old 03-10-2005, 08:16 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S2000 , 2005 911 & soon 2005 slk55 AMG
Originally Posted by rake55
Don't think we'll see the 6.3 until 2007. In fact the AMG version of the new ML will be an 5.5 Kompressor which will eventually be replace by the 6.3 in the 07 model year.
The ML is getting the 6.3 in 2006. Look at my post under AMG63
Old 03-10-2005, 08:22 PM

2013 SLK55 AMG palladium silver w/Bengal red leather
The Doctor asks: "Frenchie, est ce que tu c'est toi qui est [sic] sur bnzsport.com ou tu es un autre Frenchie?" Non, ce n'est pas moi. Il y a un autre Frenchie? Quel culot!

OK, I take it that there is a consensus among participants in this thread that the 2006 SLK55 will NOT get the 6.5. Consequently (hopefully) no big price hike. So why the halt on production on the 2005? Or is it just a freeze on new orders? If so, why? Because all build slots are already taken? Bloflin, has your investigation yielded any new info? Does anyone know? I'll settle for educated guesses.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:44 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Frenchie
The Doctor asks: "Frenchie, est ce que tu c'est toi qui est [sic] sur bnzsport.com ou tu es un autre Frenchie?" Non, ce n'est pas moi. Il y a un autre Frenchie? Quel culot!

OK, I take it that there is a consensus among participants
in this thread that the 2006 SLK55 will NOT get the 6.5. Consequently (hopefully) no big price hike. So why the halt on production on the 2005? Or is it just a freeze on new orders? If so, why? Because all build slots are already taken? Bloflin, has your investigation yielded any new info? Does anyone know? I'll settle for educated guesses.
OK.....Each MB dealer gets a "limited" number of build slots
for any AMG vehicles. Once they use their respective slots
they can't get another AMG built from the factory until they
are allocated further slots as time passes. Other dealers will
trade vehicles ie...one AMG for another AMG that a certain
customer may want but will usually "only" trade a AMG for
another AMG within the dealerships. The factory only
accepts so many build orders based on sold vehicles and
used slots, hence once all slots based on factory available
production are used no further orders would be accepted
from any dealers that don't have a allocated slot. Also these
slots that are available to the dealer must be used within a
certain time frame or be lost. My dealer for example had a
car already on the start build line so I was able to use that
slot and order the vehicle with colors and options I wanted.
I think some of the salesman don't really know whats going
on so I hope this may help. A dealer that has a customer
that wants a certain AMG car may not have a slot so the
salesguy comes back with these statements hoping you'll
buy a car they already may have in stock. Just my guess....

Last edited by AMG SLK55; 03-11-2005 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:46 AM

Well said AMG SLK55. My message was a bit long but yours was a clearer short version. The email I read from MB HQ was advising all MB dealers that this years build slots for the west coast (who knows if the US got the same email from their regional MB HQ) are all allocated and pre-sold. Thats not to say that someone would cancel or that a salesman ordered the car under some bogus customer in a attempt to locate a buyer while it's being built. (Who knows why, I think its because they know the AMG car is a for sure sale anyhow - with a chance of scoring a premium.)
But MB just wanted to ensure that no dealers were allowing their customers to think that they can walk in and order a SLK 55 AMG and get it in three months, cause they're all taken for 2005.

Kinda amazes me a bit to see a years production sucked up in the first 3 month's, but I could be wrong, as the past 5 years MB has been good at keeping secrets from everyone.

oh well, was a good info thread here.....
Old 03-11-2005, 12:04 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Frenchie
Bloflin, has your investigation yielded any new info? Does anyone know? I'll settle for educated guesses.
No not really.

I, like others, have called the MBUSA Customer Contact and I asked them. They did NOT have anything about a production stop. I asked them to check further. They called me back, again said no information on SLK55 having stopped production.

Again, others have made the same call or sent email to MBUSA, same answer.

I just talked to my SP again. I'm still A4 for 2nd Decade April. I asked him again (he was the source of my first "rumour"). He speculated about numerous things (like competition against the SL, etc.). But just speculation. I asked him about the yearly line down (vacation?, model year transistion?) that some have said MB has each year in March. He said yes, that happens, but never has it resulting in CANCELLING slots, just moving them out.

They actually had thir slots cancelled after current on order ones (i.e. mine is the last at this dealer). He had to call people and let them know they would not get a slot this year. They weren't happy.

My guess, without any real knowledge(!) is that it is an allocation thing. They have more than enough confirmed orders around the world to fill out this years production. In addition, perhaps they are deciding to "tamp down" sales a bit, to encourage "upsales" to SLs. Finally perhaps the Dollar to Euro is also influencing where they would like to allocate sales. Just random theories.