Incoming...or?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 09:45 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Incoming...or?

Greetings,

This is my first post to this forum. I have an SLK55 coming in in about a week and have a couple of basic questions based on what I've read in the forum.

I've been on many other enthusiasts' forums: cars, trucks, motorcycles, cameras, whatever, and I have a sense that those who post on these things (as I do) fall into two camps: "my car (etc.) is pretty good or great, albeit not perfect, and I'm happy," and "I'm really frustrated and unhappy with the car and the experience for the following 17 reasons..." Now, certainly there are objective differences from car to car (esp. with limited production items), but I've wondered if a significant part of the owner's experience isn't purely subjective and related to his attitude about such things. Please understand -- I mean absolutely NO criticism of anyone nor of either way of looking at things; rather, I'm just trying to understand better what my experience will be like if I take delivery (I think I have the option not to).

All that said, there seem to be two issues with these cars:

1. Main gripe seems to be the transmission (you know the specifics -- delayed shifting in manual mode, less than optimal shifting in auto mode, etc.). I would be interested in anyone's perspective on this issue. I'm not likely to use this car on the track, but do expect satisfactory spirited driving as well as the ability to poke along in traffic when needed. Are the glitches firmware or hardware related? Are they related to build date? Are there any MB or aftermarket fixes?

2. As to the steering wheel gearchange switches, some complain about their being too easy to bump into and shift inadvertently. Can these be deactivated (e.g. via dash mounted toggle switch) or physically moved? Are there aftermarket fixes for this?

3. Ride quality: ordinarily, I prefer the smallest diameter wheels that a manufacturer offers, mainly due to ride quality. I gather that this car has to use the larger wheel (18"?) to clear the larger brakes. What can I expect as to ride harshness? Are there any fixes (e.g. non-AMG springs/shocks/swaybars, different tires)?

4. Rattles and other annoying noises that can't be fixed. How common are these complaints?

I realize that the answers to these questions depend on many unknowns and otherwise are difficult to answer clearly and definitively. That said, I really would appreciate anyone's comments. Thanx!
Old 03-28-2005, 07:14 PM

SLK55
Smile

I've only had my car for a few days, but I can tell you that the speed shift auto is really OK- shifts quickly, responds quickly, and holds the engine RPM a little high for max response- nice. The ride is firm, but surprisingly there is very little impact harshness or impact noise (my car has Pirelli P-zero Rossos- I don't know if they all have this tire from the factory). So far, no rattles either with the top up or down.
Best wishes- you will really enjoy this car!
JJB
Old 03-28-2005, 07:14 PM

leef, i will try to answer some of your questions:
i have been driving my '55 for the past few days and like you, i will not be racing it (might go to the track once p/yr). the power transfer is not an issue, the paddle shifting does not seem to pose ANY problems, i do not see how one can change gears by mistake. once you are finished your break-in period, believe me you will have more power than needed to move along in any traffic situation. the accleration and power in this car is just awesome. i am not a professional driver by any means, just your average car buff and all the fine comparisions do nothing for me in real life as i will never be on racing with this car or cornering @ ultra high speeds, etc. i could have a different high performance car and i still would not be driving like the pros, however, i do love many things about the slk55 (that's why i bought one!)
keep in mind that mercedes has put together a high performance car in the slk55, therefore, it will not offer you a soft luxury sedan type of a ride. what has been put together here is, high performance with added luxury without compromising too much. so if one is not used to these type of cars, the ride can be a little stiff (especially when your change the wheels and tires like i have on mine). but once you are strapped in the amg designed seats, you won't stop smiling.
i have not experienced any problems with my car therefore, i cannot comment on this.
i hope that this will help in your decision and others can provide you with their opinions. i would like to see different points of view on this thread.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:29 PM
Almost a Member!

Smile

Many thanks to MBaddict and blkslk55 for these reassuring replies. I had determined to drive the car without worrying or being prejudiced by what I've read, and your comments help. My car arrives Monday and I can't wait!

I'll keep the 18" wheels -- I don't like the ride/noise/vulnerability of 19s.

Thanx again!