SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Got It!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 10:02 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
'05 SLK55, Obsidian, black/red, light and premium pkg., COMAND with nav, airscarf, Sirius
Got It!

At long last I picked up the new '55 a few hours ago...Obsidian, black/red, nav, lighting, premium, airscarf, 45 miles on the odometer when I picked it up. No scratchs, no dents that I can find. The remote roof opener appears to have a range of about 10 feet. The only problems I've found so far are the nav system telling me to turn left one time where I needed to turn right, and the engine idle in gear is a bit rougher than I expected. Some of you may laugh at or be upset with me, but the sensations I get when driving this car are exactly what I reported here last fall when I test drove one...sounds, rides, and handles like a Corvette (not a bad thing in my opinion), except I like this size better...I think Corvettes are too big and therefore less fun to drive. Some of you have been asking if the AMG suspension is too firm. My opinion is that it's firm, but not punishing...I like the level of firmness, think they got it just right. When it stops raining here (hopefully Sunday) I'll post some photos. Thanks again to many of you out there that helped me with configuring the car and putting up with some less than ethical sales tactics at the dealer.

Last edited by Shark; 04-01-2005 at 10:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-02-2005, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SLK55 AMG
Shark, exactly my order, should be her mid-May. Congrats to you. Where are you located?
Old 04-02-2005, 06:38 PM

'05 SLK55, Obsidian, black/red, light and premium pkg., COMAND with nav, airscarf, Sirius
New Jersey
Old 04-03-2005, 11:14 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 SLK55 AMG
Congrats Shark....
Old 04-04-2005, 04:38 PM

shark you are going to looooove your ride!! congratulations!
Old 04-16-2005, 12:32 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Shark what are you thoughts on Chrome Grill Strips?

Shark my SLK55 (Ob Blk, like yours) is built and should be on the water. I'm not much for aftermarket "dress" for my cars, but the one thing I'm considering is the Chrome Grill Strip. Since our cars are Blk, I thought that might be something that gives a little more definition to the Grill.

Have you considered, they are $99 US for 2.

They are bright chrome, I thought it might tie in with the standard Hood Areoewings. Those are bright chrome also, correct?

Appreciate your opinion.
Attached Thumbnails Got It!-171-1005_small.jpg  
Old 04-17-2005, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by bloflin
Shark my SLK55 (Ob Blk, like yours) is built and should be on the water. I'm not much for aftermarket "dress" for my cars, but the one thing I'm considering is the Chrome Grill Strip. Since our cars are Blk, I thought that might be something that gives a little more definition to the Grill.

Have you considered, they are $99 US for 2.

They are bright chrome, I thought it might tie in with the standard Hood Areoewings. Those are bright chrome also, correct?

Appreciate your opinion.
Bloflin, Like you, I tend to keep my cars pretty much "bone stock". I'll typically lots of factory options, but have never been big into aftermarket add-ons. Candidly, I'm not yet sure of my thoughts regarding the hood aerowings. To me they are not Mercedes like at all, and a number of people have asked me what they are...kind of indicates to me that they look like they don't belong there. I will say that the aerowings are very "in your face" when you are driving the car, but I don't mean that with a negative connotation. That being said, yes I think the grill strip would complement the aerowings as they are both chrome and there is not a lot of chrome on the exterior of the car. I'm not planning to get the grill strips, but I don't think they would look bad either. On the other hand, if I saw a dark colored '55 in person, it's possible my mind could be changed. Sorry for such a "middle of the road" response, but I'm just not sure.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:10 AM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Shark, thanks for your thoughts.

I agree on too much "bling" isn't for me either. For example they have the chrome headlight (and taillight) rings avail aftermarket. And even MB sells the chrome outside rearview mirror covers. Which, personally I don't care for.

On the Grill strips specifically, they are MB (or can be). MB had them on the Launch Edition, and apparently according to other posters they are in the MB accessories catalog (at least in some countries), though I can't find it online.

Again, thx for your thoughts.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E46 M3
Congrats!
Old 04-18-2005, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The original MB aerowings on the 55s are Brushed Aluminum, not chrome. Its a full grill replacement, not just the fins.

You can order the chrome grille strips from the parts dept. At least in Canada, we can.