SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK55 Vs SL55 again..... EVO review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
987S
Cool SLK55 Vs SL55 again..... EVO review

This months EVO magazine has a full review of the SLK55 back to back with the SL55.

The car EVO tested is the one I had on loan in early February that I reviewed previously:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ight=slk55+day

I'd post the article for you but don't have access to my scanner at the moment so somebody else may be able to post a copy later?

Basically in an earlier mini review EVO liked the SLK55 but didn't rave about it much...... this time the EVO reviewer definately liked the car! They praised the handling, power, ride and interior quality...... the only negatives were related to the slow shift speed of the 7G box and the early cut in of the ESP both of which reduced the cars effectiveness as a sporty drive.

As well as testing the SL and SLK on road they also ran them both on track...... the SL felt faster subjectively but the SLK put in the faster lap time (1:29 Vs 1:30 on the Bedford Autodrome track) mainly because it could put its power down faster out of corners where the SL struggled to harness its huge torque.

Althought the SLK was very well received the SL was judged the marginally better car to drive due to its adaptive ABC suspension and less intrusive ESP.

The article also had a comparison of the SLK55 and new Boxster S that summed up by saying that the Boxster was the more balanced sports car and on paper it would win on virtually all counts....... however the reviewer said that even though most purists would prefer the Boxster he found the SLK55 to be more exciting and thats what he'd own if he had the chance. In case you are wondering the Boxster S was faster than the SLK by the same margin as the SLK was faster than the SL around the same test track (1:28 987S, 1:29 SLK55, 1:30 SL55).

Well worth getting hold of a copy if you can.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63
It is interesting about the 7 speed transmisison. Road and Track's current short review of the SLK55 praises the transmission.

TEAShea
Old 04-03-2005, 11:12 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 SLK55 AMG
When you consider the track time diff of only a second,
I think it speaks well for the 7-auto. If the P had an auto
I think it wouldn't have faired as well. The 55 is a broadway
cruiser and fits that catagory best. Let's face it, most 55's
won't ever see a track but will see alot of stop lights on a
daily basis. With that said the looks,class,power,rarity on
the road,and cost per pound, I'll take the 55 anyday of the
week. I also love the first gear low end in the 7 speed
and the ability to be able to take a Sunday drive without
shifting all the time. A stick has it's drawbacks as a daily
driver as well.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:11 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by SLK55AMG
..... next car was going to be SLK55 AMG....... but now new 987 Boxster S due June 2005.
Did you change your mind because of what EVO said or MB's horrendous reliability problems or something else?
Old 04-07-2005, 07:38 AM

987S
Originally Posted by JohnSLK
Did you change your mind because of what EVO said or MB's horrendous reliability problems or something else?
No I cancelled my order for the 55 in January after a 4 day test drive...... it was a great car but (for me) totally ruined by the 7G auto...... I prefer a manual and the extra involvement that gives me during a spirited drive. When I had the SLK55 on order I think I was trying to kid myself that I could live with the auto but the test drive proved that I couldn't....... that was the main reason for cancelling but after I'd decided to go for the Porker the cost difference between the AMG and a new Boxster S also helped as I could run the later for around £200/month less.

The AMG will ultimately be the quicker car in most day to day road situations but the Boxster S will give me more fun on the sort of roads I use most of the time