SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Ride quality

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 01:08 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ride quality

I just got my 55 this week. So far, it's all working as advertised. My only concern is the rather harsh ride and I'm wondering what can be done about this.

I'm guessing that the 18" wheels are a major contributor. I thought I had read that these were required to clear the brake calipers, but reading my manual suggests otherwise. I read (P. 416) that the SLK350 with Sport Package is available with 17" wheels (7.5" front, 8.5" rear) that have the same width and offset as the SLK55 wheels. This doesn't completely clarify that 17s will fit, but on P. 414 the manual lists 17" wheels (same size front and rear) for both the SLK350 (Sport Package) and the SLK55. My interpretation of this is that 17" wheels will fit this car.

Does anyone know for sure if this is true? Has anyone had any experience with 17s on this car?

Another idea: my car has Pirelli PZero Rosso tires. Are there other tires that have a less harsh ride? How about pressure? I'm running the recommended pressure (set with a calibrated guage).

Other ride quality factors are shocks, springs and sway bars. Changing these probably would be more expensive (with exception of the shocks) than changing tires, but would be possible.

Thanx for any input on this topic.

Last edited by Leef; 04-10-2005 at 01:09 PM. Reason: delete smiley
Old 04-10-2005, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK55
Originally Posted by Leef
I just got my 55 this week. So far, it's all working as advertised. My only concern is the rather harsh ride and I'm wondering what can be done about this.

I'm guessing that the 18" wheels are a major contributor. I thought I had read that these were required to clear the brake calipers, but reading my manual suggests otherwise. I read (P. 416) that the SLK350 with Sport Package is available with 17" wheels (7.5" front, 8.5" rear) that have the same width and offset as the SLK55 wheels. This doesn't completely clarify that 17s will fit, but on P. 414 the manual lists 17" wheels (same size front and rear) for both the SLK350 (Sport Package) and the SLK55. My interpretation of this is that 17" wheels will fit this car.

Does anyone know for sure if this is true? Has anyone had any experience with 17s on this car?

Another idea: my car has Pirelli PZero Rosso tires. Are there other tires that have a less harsh ride? How about pressure? I'm running the recommended pressure (set with a calibrated guage).

Other ride quality factors are shocks, springs and sway bars. Changing these probably would be more expensive (with exception of the shocks) than changing tires, but would be possible.

Thanx for any input on this topic.
I've had the OEM 17 inch 10 spokers with wintersport 210's for the last 3 months. Last week I swapped out to the 18's and I noticed the ride was a lot rougher. The 17's fit fine and are fairly light. In many circles 17's are considered ideal for auto-cross. Replacement tires are less costly and the ride is softer. 3 or 4 lbs less pressure will soften your ride as well.
Good luck.