SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Poor "Coefficient of Drag"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Porsche 997 C4S Cabriolet
Poor "Coefficient of Drag"

I was flipping through my AMG brochure listing all the AMG models and I was suprised by the poor coefficient of drag the SLK 55 had compared to all the other cars. With its small and streamlined shape, I would have figured it would have been better.

Here's the breakdown straight from the brochure:
SLK 55: 0.35 (Top up)
C55: 0.27
CLK 55: 0.29 (Coupe)
CLK 55: 0.32 (Cabriolet)
S55: 0.27
SL55: 0.30 (Top up)
CL55: 0.29
E55: 0.27
G55: "Information no available. See your dealer."
SL65: 0.30
CL65: 0.29

I still think think the SLK is increadible looking. Just suprised by this data.

JS
Old 04-15-2005, 01:17 PM

just because it looks slippery, doesn't mean it is. Until wind tunnel testing came on board, people built cars based on what looked aerodynamic. Unfortunately cartoon body surfaces don't bode well for the ideal wedge shape that actually is aerodynamic. This is part of an almost "Art and Science" redo, or a "Bangleizing" of MB. It started with the SLK and CLS and will matriculate to all classes in their next generation. This can already be seen in the new ML. Essentially, Mercedes is trying to draw customers from good looks rather than good sense. They are trying to Italianize. But, we all know what the law of specialization says....or, at least I hope we all know. Okay...ok....for those who don't know, it says stick with what you are good at, and to me mercedes was good at mechanical engineering. They lost customers with their poor yet innovative electrical engineering, and now are abandoning body engineering altogether for artistic body sculpture. Time will tell whether it works, but I am one of the few that thinks the new CLS is a horrible mistake. It will, unmistakably, sell cars though, and that is what the new jefe wants. He could care less about the underlying principles of mercedes, just whether or not it makes a buck.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:47 PM

14 'E550
Originally Posted by rguy
but I am one of the few that thinks the new CLS is a horrible mistake. It will, unmistakably, sell cars though, and that is what the new jefe wants.
Its a horrible mistake, but will sell cars though.........?
Old 04-15-2005, 02:04 PM

I think the bad Coe. of drag is becasue its very short, with an abrupt back end. The air isn't forced anywhere it..so I'm guessing the air round the back is quite turbulent..
Old 04-15-2005, 04:46 PM

Beltfed, I think that people will buy the car and it makes since from a dollar stand point, oh I don't know, kind of like the cayenne I guess. But it dilutes the mercedes brand even further plunging the marque deeper into vagueness about what it stands for in the end.

So it is a horrible mistake for the company, but a profitable one, and profit is the only thing on the new ceo's mind. I guess my point is that Mercedes seems to be going through a real identity crisis that started about three years ago. They don't know who they are anymore and they are trying to figure that out. I don't think this is them, but others will surely disagree. I just fail to see the point of being exactly like everyone else.

You don't see Porsche making the 911 a mid-engine car because it performs better do you? They know the heritage of the vehicle and saw how they almost lost their business when they stopped air cooling the engines and having oversteer balance on their chassis. They have made every other new sports car mid-engined, so clearly they feel this is better now. The cayenne is a bit of a sellout vehicle, well, I guess let's just say that porsche knows who they are but have to pay the bills for being a low volume producer, but mercedes' new chief doesn't care who they are as long as they pay the bills. It is a difference of spirit to me. In the end, like the cayenne, the cls will surely be successful and profitable, but it dilutes the mercedes brand as much as the cayenne diluted the porsche brand.