SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Sport Car Int'l - SLK55 whips 987 Boxster S!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 08:45 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cubanite SLK55AMG
Sport Car Int'l - SLK55 whips 987 Boxster S!

Check this out!

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php...&page=0#100926

Anyone know where the actual Sport Car article can be found?

Cheers,

JD

Sydney Australia
Old 05-16-2005, 01:03 PM

987S
Thats interesting...... another test on the same website had some actual test data:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php...0&page=0#86432

The SLK55 lapped the Nurburgring in 8min 24sec compared to the new Boxster S 8min 18sec

and the SLK55 laps the Hockenheim track in 1min 17.1sec while the Boxster S does the same in 1min 15.7sec

It just shows you how subjective most reviews are
Old 05-16-2005, 01:19 PM

White SLK 55 AMG & 2005 911 S
Originally Posted by SLK55AMG
Thats interesting...... another test on the same website had some actual test data:

The SLK55 lapped the Nurburgring in 8min 24sec compared to the new Boxster S 8min 18sec

and the SLK55 laps the Hockenheim track in 1min 17.1sec while the Boxster S does the same in 1min 15.7sec

Did you get your Boxster yet? I'm loving my 911S and my wife just got her SLK55. The 55 is a nice car and I love the sound it makes. I drove a new Boxster S the other day. I notice alot of gear whining at cruising speed and I must say I like the sound out of the pipes better than my 911.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:03 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by SLK55AMG

I don't think a 6 sec delta on the Ring & a 1.4 sec delta @ Hockenheim, when the cars are driven at ten/tenths, is going to be noticed by either some mag editors on some country back roads or your avg street driver (the overall speed difference is too small to notice). I think the editors said they had more fun with the SLK & it "felt" better than the Boxter S when they pushed both of them through some country roads (not far from where I reside ).

90% of purchasers will notice faster SLK55 acceleration. Maybe 10% of purchasers will notice a difference in handling at either of the cars adhesion limits?

I also think the editors thought the whole package was better in the SLK (styling, exhaust note, & other "fluffy" stuff you mentioned as the subjective aspect of the review). At the end of the day, I think the Boxter S has stronger handling characterstics (actually, World Class handling, it killed the even the vaunted Enzo through the slolom), the SLK has stonger straight line performance & a better "ride")?

See ya,
-Matt
Old 05-16-2005, 03:40 PM

'01 BMW e39 540i, '06 M-B R171 SLK55
Originally Posted by Yellow R1
I don't think a 6 sec delta on the Ring & a 1.4 sec delta @ Hockenheim, when the cars are driven at ten/tenths, is going to be noticed by either some mag editors on some country back roads or your avg street driver (the overall speed difference is too small to notice).
I totally agree with this assessment. Anyone here who claims to drive 10/10 on normal roads should be considered irresponsible and deserving of chastisement (let alone require the reader's suspension of disbelief in accepting both a broad assumption of the driver's skill and whether they did indeed drive at such a level comparable to racers on a track like Nurburgring.)

Now if I lived down the block from the Nordschleife, and had an All-Access track pass for my car, then I may have given the Porsche more points during my purchase decision.

But I don't.

And, dare I presume, none of you do.

So... um... are track times immaterial?
No... but are they the best sole judge of a car's day-to-day performance potential?
No... but then again neither are skidpad numbers and 0-60 ratings.

In the end there will always be Porsche lovers and M-B lovers (of which I am neither, being a bimmer-head myself) and objectivity in mainstream media is a mere business lunch away from subjectivity. *** grano salis is probably the best policy when reading these publications but you have to admit they can be entertaining and great fuel for debate.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:46 PM

987S
Originally Posted by Yellow R1
90% of purchasers will notice faster SLK55 acceleration. Maybe 10% of purchasers will notice a difference in handling at either of the cars adhesion limits?

I also think the editors thought the whole package was better in the SLK (styling, exhaust note, & other "fluffy" stuff you mentioned as the subjective aspect of the review). At the end of the day, I think the Boxter S has stronger handling characterstics (actually, World Class handling, it killed the even the vaunted Enzo through the slolom), the SLK has stonger straight line performance & a better "ride")?

See ya,
-Matt
Spot on!..... the SLK55 is SOOOO much quicker in a straight line and when the Boxster arrives in a couple of weeks time (to answer WhiteAMGSLK55s question) I won't ever try to out drag one! I went for the Boxster because I get my kicks in the twisty bits and it had a definate advantage over the AMG in that department...... if the 55 had been a manual rather than an auto I'm 99% sure I'd have bought it