SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Sport vs Comfort

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 03:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sport vs Comfort

Do you generally get better gas mileage when the car starts from 1st or from 2nd? So, in essence, the question is: do you get better mileage driving in sport mode or in comfort mode?
Old 08-04-2005, 06:20 AM

987S
Originally Posted by JBRhee
Do you generally get better gas mileage when the car starts from 1st or from 2nd? So, in essence, the question is: do you get better mileage driving in sport mode or in comfort mode?
Sport or comfort won't make any noticable difference to MPG unless you actually drive differently in each mode..... if you are as heavy with the gas in both modes you'll probably get the same sort of gas mileage.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:01 AM

SLK 55 AMG
I find that I get better gas saving with C mode. Probably down to it being a bit more sluggish and calm, which means that I'm less incited to trash her around.

But since C mode tends to keep it at higher gears, and thus less RPM when you drive around, it is bound to waste less fuel.

But anyway, this is a 55, you shouldn't be expecting it to be as economical as a Honda Diesel
Old 08-04-2005, 02:22 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by SLK55AMG
Sport or comfort won't make any noticable difference to MPG unless you actually drive differently in each mode..... if you are as heavy with the gas in both modes you'll probably get the same sort of gas mileage.
Though I haven't tested the actual mpg (so I could be wrong), I have to believe the S mode will be much worse on mpg.

In S mode it keeps the engine in higher rpms, both on the upshift (i.e. winding it up further before shifting), but also this is the first auto I have where the auto "agressively" downshifts when you come off the gas, so it is always ready when you want to punch it back up. In other words when I let off the gas, I can feel it (and watch the rpm gauge) downshift thru each gear as I coast slower and slower. Most autos, you let off the gas, it stays in the gear, and the rpm drops quickly as the car slows.

In case there is any doubt, I keep it in S mode I didn't spend the $70K+ to scrimp on mpg.

This is on an SLK55, which does have different shift programming than the SLK350.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
I drive a C55, and I totally agree with what blofin just posted. The tranmission downshifts so quickly once you get off the gas when in "S" mode. It actually makes the car feel less smooth. In "C" mode, it behaves much more like a typical automatic transmission.

I usually drive in "C" mode on the weekdays and "S" mode on the weekends for some more fun.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by JBRhee

ofcoarse when the car starts at second,,,,, like in Comfort mode....

better mileage