SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Front License Plate Holder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front License Plate Holder

I hate everyone on this board who doesn't have the front license plate holder attached to the front of their cars. I don't know why they had to drill that damn thing into my front bumper.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:53 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by JBRhee
I hate everyone on this board who doesn't have the front license plate holder attached to the front of their cars. I don't know why they had to drill that damn thing into my front bumper.
You have to tell them, up front (and then tell them again and again).

I told my sales person, that if my bumper was drilled, they would replace, not repair/repaint.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:26 PM

2008 Porsche 997 C4S Cabriolet
Yup, from the time I put my deposit down until I picked up the car (9 months), I told my sales person probably 12 times that in no way did I want my front bumper drilled. He put it down in writing all over my order form but he also told me not to worry as it was their policy to never drill ANY of their AMG cars until they have checked with the customer. Just as he said, I picked it up with the clean front bumper. Normally not the end of the world, but on this car, it would be a serious darn shame to have the front drilled (and worse, to actually have a plate on). Yes, front plate required in Oregon where I live but I can live with paying the tickets to keep the front clean (and with only just over 500 miles on my 55, no tickets yet).

JS
Old 08-05-2005, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by bloflin
You have to tell them, up front (and then tell them again and again).

I told my sales person, that if my bumper was drilled, they would replace, not repair/repaint.
Oh I didn't know I could request it that way. What do you think my options are at this point?
Old 08-05-2005, 01:49 PM

If you do get a fix it ticket, use those plastic zip luggage ties. I don't know how else to describe them but they come in black and match the front grill perfectly. Just use those to put the license plate on in case you get a ticket, then cut them off after. If front plates are so necessary for every vehicle on the road, why don't motorcycles have them???
Old 08-07-2005, 12:23 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by JBRhee
Oh I didn't know I could request it that way. What do you think my options are at this point?
Not sure what you mean?

If your's is already drilled (which I believe you said they are) and if you did NOT tell them not to, and if front license plates are required where you and your dealer are, then it's done.

The only real thing you can do is to have it repaired. It can be done, and it should look just fine. But you'll have to pay for it (unless you can really sweet talk your dealer).
Old 08-08-2005, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by bloflin
Not sure what you mean?

If your's is already drilled (which I believe you said they are) and if you did NOT tell them not to, and if front license plates are required where you and your dealer are, then it's done.

The only real thing you can do is to have it repaired. It can be done, and it should look just fine. But you'll have to pay for it (unless you can really sweet talk your dealer).
i had to get my front bumper repaired due to the drilling as well, no big deal, it looks just fine.