SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Build slots/delivery times

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Build slots/delivery times

Ordered a 2006 SLK55AMG about a month ago, question on build slots and delivery times.
How does a dealer get a build-slot assigned ?
Once a build slot is assigned, what is the approximate time to US delivery?
What delivery times are being quoted currently?
Anxiously awaiting a build slot.
Curt
Old 08-17-2005, 10:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63
Curt, I ordered mine with the dealer in July. They had to make great efforts to get an allocation slot. It looked like the only slot was for a European delivery car, but they were finally able to get a slot for early August build. They had to trade a SL65 slot for it. The car has been built and is on the way to me. I expect it in three weeks.

TEAShea
from Nebraska
Old 08-17-2005, 12:28 PM

2006 SLK 55 AMG
I put a deposit on June 21st! The salesman emailed me yesterday saying that the car has been completed and is in Germany awaiting ship assigment to come to US thru Boston!

So that makes it 2 months!!!!

Ahh and mine will have the Performance Package 030!!

No pics or spects of the actual Package....so....I guess it will be the first in the US!!!

JMC
Old 08-17-2005, 01:34 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Understand your excitment and want something more definitive, unfortunately it's not very definitive (the process). You've got to bug your sales guy.

Basically each dealer gets a set number of build slots for each AMG model, for each year (usually by quarter). The number is based on the dealers sales history of AMG models (and probably sales overall).

You sales guy SHOULD be able to tell you:
1. Where you are on his list for the next SLK55 build slot (i.e. number 1 or number 3, etc.).
2. How many build slots the dealer TYPICALLY gets (i.e. 1 per quarter, etc.)

From that you can estimate what quarter (or maybe even what month) your build slot SHOULD fall in.

From your build slot to US delivery it is 6-8 weeks typically.

Now all of this can change, which is why they don't like to commit to you.

If they can do a deal with another dealer to get an earlier slot, that helps you. Or if one of the SLK55 guys on the list in front of you, drops out...

On the other hand they COULD trade your slot (that they haven't committed to you!) to get a slot on a higher margin car (i.e. SL65 or something) for another customer.

Net: it is to the dealer advantage to keep you "in the dark"

Also, you should consider putting in your request and "placeholder" at multiple dealers and see who responds first with a confirmed slot. That is what a lot of us have done.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:49 AM

'06 SLK55 AMG, del Sol VTEC
Ordered my '55 in the first week of June. Built July 8 - 15th (something odd happened - they normally only take a day). Still sitting on the dock, awaiting ship assignment. Once it gets on a ship it will be about 25 days to the West Coast VPC, and then a few more days at the dealer.