Boxster S or SLK 55 (again...)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 01:59 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yellow R1
We need to be talking this stuff over a beer, not sucking up bandwidth
Cheers to that, and your upcoming kleeman SLK. Beautiful. I agree, keep the kleeman badging off of it, the SLK looks best when left mostly stock.

I would have to say that two of the best looking cars on the road these days are the SLK55 and the CLS55. Just dirty looking beasts. I saw a black CLS55 today, and I just couldn't keep my eyes off it. You get the full deal with these cars - power, quality, and that V8 rumble. MB V8's are beautiful works of art.

SLK55AMG: I am sorry you didn't buy an SLK. I won't badger you anymore about your decision, I know that the boxster is a fine car, and in England it may suit your driving needs well. You are in good company here, I for one don't mind having a boxster guy around, it makes life interesting :-)

Let's have another debate... Who thinks a Kleeman SLK55 is faster than a Carerra GT? I do

Last edited by benz-aficionado; 10-12-2005 at 02:02 AM.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:07 AM

987S
Originally Posted by benz-aficionado
Cheers to that, and your upcoming kleeman SLK. Beautiful. I agree, keep the kleeman badging off of it, the SLK looks best when left mostly stock.

I would have to say that two of the best looking cars on the road these days are the SLK55 and the CLS55. Just dirty looking beasts. I saw a black CLS55 today, and I just couldn't keep my eyes off it. You get the full deal with these cars - power, quality, and that V8 rumble. MB V8's are beautiful works of art.

SLK55AMG: I am sorry you didn't buy an SLK. I won't badger you anymore about your decision, I know that the boxster is a fine car, and in England it may suit your driving needs well. You are in good company here, I for one don't mind having a boxster guy around, it makes life interesting :-)

Let's have another debate... Who thinks a Kleeman SLK55 is faster than a Carerra GT? I do
Thanks Benz.... I'll still hang around here as I like the 55 a lot and if AMG/MB can find a way to build me an SLK55/63 with a manual gearbox I'll be back on the waiting list again!

Kleeman
Old 10-26-2005, 03:15 PM

2005 Porsche Boxster 987
Wait till i get the 911 GT3(997) and smoke all u fkcers! haha
Old 10-26-2005, 05:21 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by kimchiFLAVA
Wait till i get the 911 GT3(997) and smoke all u fkcers! haha
I know you post in jest. Buuuut, just to let ya know, the GT3 runs a 12.3 sec 1/4. Its a mere .4 sec quicker than an SLK55. Not much, especially for $99.9k MSRP.

Here is a Car & Driver article where an SL600 out accelerated them all (just to show the GT2 1/4 mile time ). Granted, acceleration is not the only metric, but its a "biggie" & the GT2 is no longer that impressive, not for the cash outlay IMO.

"Allow us to illustrate.The Porsche 911 GT2 we tested in March 2002—456 horsepower, 457 pound-feet of torque—required 3.8 seconds to achieve mile-a-minute velocity. The Dodge Viper we tested in November '02—500 horsepower, 525 pound-feet—took 3.9 seconds. The 911 GT3 and Ferrari Challenge Stradale in our January issue each clocked in at 4.0 seconds.

Let's check the next notch on the elapsed-time yardstick. The 911 GT2 covered the quarter-mile in 12 seconds flat, the Viper in 12.1, the GT3 and Stradale in 12.3 and 12.4, respectively. The SL600 did it in 11.9. That's not quite as quick as the Ford GT, but it would have put this elegant Benz in a tie for fifth place (out of 15 cars) in the quarter-mile elapsed-time competition in our September 2002".

See ya,
-Matt
Old 10-26-2005, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

g
I know you post in jest. Buuuut, just to let ya know, the GT3 runs a 12.3 sec 1/4. Its a mere .4 sec quicker than an SLK55. Not much, especially for $99.9k MSRP.

Here is a Car & Driver article where an SL600 out accelerated them all (just to show the GT2 1/4 mile time ). Granted, acceleration is not the only metric, but its a "biggie" & the GT2 is no longer that impressive, not for the cash outlay IMO.

"Allow us to illustrate.The Porsche 911 GT2 we tested in March 2002—456 horsepower, 457 pound-feet of torque—required 3.8 seconds to achieve mile-a-minute velocity. The Dodge Viper we tested in November '02—500 horsepower, 525 pound-feet—took 3.9 seconds. The 911 GT3 and Ferrari Challenge Stradale in our January issue each clocked in at 4.0 seconds.

Let's check the next notch on the elapsed-time yardstick. The 911 GT2 covered the quarter-mile in 12 seconds flat, the Viper in 12.1, the GT3 and Stradale in 12.3 and 12.4, respectively. The SL600 did it in 11.9. That's not quite as quick as the Ford GT, but it would have put this elegant Benz in a tie for fifth place (out of 15 cars) in the quarter-mile elapsed-time competition in our September 2002".

See ya,
-Matt
You do realize that the SL600 that C&D tested was modded?
Old 10-26-2005, 09:55 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by NOTKTS
You do realize that the SL600 that C&D tested was modded?
No, it was stock. Here is the article: http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=7782

-Matt
Old 10-26-2005, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

g
No, it was stock. Here is the article: http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=7782

-Matt
... If you do a search on this topic in the forums you will find a few threads fiercely debating this subject. It was determined that they tested a modded SL600, If I recall right I even think the people from RennTech even admitted that C&D tested a modded car.

You can even see the RennTech CF Package and steering wheel

On a 65..

Last edited by NOTKTS; 10-26-2005 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:33 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
... If you do a search on this topic in the forums you will find a few threads fiercely debating this subject. It was determined that they tested a modded SL600, If I recall right I even think the people from RennTech even admitted that C&D tested a modded car.

You can even see the RennTech CF Package and steering wheel

On a 65..
Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the post.

At the very least, that is Fraud if C&D tested what is obviously not a stock vehicle (ie passed it on as a stocker). In any case, its interesting & a good post. Thanks again!

-Matt
Old 10-26-2005, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

g
Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the post.

At the very least, that is Fraud if C&D tested what is obviously not a stock vehicle (ie passed it on as a stocker). In any case, its interesting & a good post. Thanks again!

-Matt
No problem... The lesson here is that you shouldn't believe everything you read. These editors are under increasing pressure from other magazines to put out the "latest" news about up coming cars... Most of it is not even a hint true. For instance, the rumor of a 1,000 hp 733 ft/lbs Murci in C&D or Automobile I can't remember... Funny.

And I don’t think C&D themselves thought anything of it at the time but after all the writing in I think that they were too embarrassed to admit their mistake. In the TV episode of C&D they mentioned the LSD... when was the last time a SL600 had a LSD :p
Old 10-27-2005, 02:43 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
No problem... The lesson here is that you shouldn't believe everything you read. These editors are under increasing pressure from other magazines to put out the "latest" news about up coming cars... Most of it is not even a hint true. For instance, the rumor of a 1,000 hp 733 ft/lbs Murci in C&D or Automobile I can't remember... Funny.

And I don’t think C&D themselves thought anything of it at the time but after all the writing in I think that they were too embarrassed to admit their mistake. In the TV episode of C&D they mentioned the LSD... when was the last time a SL600 had a LSD :p
Actually, I take my data points from multiple sources (so I agree with your point about not believeing everything you read). However, just a note, the acceleration time of the GT3 in the article remains valid, which was the purpose of my post, not the SL600's performance (not trying to be a smart azz, just indicating the SL600s performance, while interesting, was not being compared to the GT3 in my post - it was the SLK55 & GT3 acceleration times that I was comparing). :p

See ya,
-Matt
Old 10-27-2005, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

g
Actually, I take my data points from multiple sources (so I agree with your point about not believeing everything you read). However, just a note, the acceleration time of the GT3 in the article remains valid, which was the purpose of my post, not the SL600's performance (not trying to be a smart azz, just indicating the SL600s performance, while interesting, was not being compared to the GT3 in my post - it was the SLK55 & GT3 acceleration times that I was comparing). :p

See ya,
-Matt
Sorry about that... I didn't see the intent of the original post
PS: Can't wait to see the Kleemann transformation, it will be a beast