SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

check engine light after 2 days of ownership?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check engine light after 2 days of ownership?

My check engine light came on today after 2 days of ownership, has anyone else had this issue and if so, what was the cause?

Car seems to drive fine and dealer said just ignore it for a couple of weeks then he will reset the light.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally Posted by ian55amg
My check engine light came on today after 2 days of ownership, has anyone else had this issue and if so, what was the cause?

Car seems to drive fine and dealer said just ignore it for a couple of weeks then he will reset the light.
WTF kind of response is that? CEL usually means that the ECU cannot get a correct signal from one or more sensors. When this happens, the engine goes into "open loop" mode which also means poor fuel economy, poor power and poor emissions. His answer should have been, "No problem. I'll meet you in the service bay in 5 minutes with a technician to pull the error codes off the ECU. Then, we'll reset the ECU and see if it happens again."

Most likely it will happen again. Tell your dealer to get a clue.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:11 PM
Almost a Member!

'06 SLK55
Check that your gas cap is tight.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:06 AM

Too many to list
Originally Posted by E55AMG99
WTF kind of response is that? CEL usually means that the ECU cannot get a correct signal from one or more sensors. When this happens, the engine goes into "open loop" mode which also means poor fuel economy, poor power and poor emissions. His answer should have been, "No problem. I'll meet you in the service bay in 5 minutes with a technician to pull the error codes off the ECU. Then, we'll reset the ECU and see if it happens again."

Most likely it will happen again. Tell your dealer to get a clue.

Yes, you need to check the code with a scanner ASAP. But, there are hundreds of causes for a CEL to come on and most will not cause "open loop" mode or effect driveability. A loose gas cap is a very common cause and it will not effect how the car runs.

Trompazo