SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Dynamat for the rear deck???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 SLK55
Dynamat for the rear deck???

So i have noticed that the motorized rear deck has ZERO insulation on it and does nothing to prevent noise from the trunk. I'm thinking of throing a layer of dynamat on...should help with any vibrations and reduce noise. Anyone thought of this or done it yet? Since dynamat is so light and thin i dont think there will be any issues with clearence or weight.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
Post some pics when you do it, I'll follow right after!

Dinko
Old 10-25-2005, 09:13 PM

06 SLK55
Originally Posted by dinko
Post some pics when you do it, I'll follow right after!

Dinko

Cool...looking which of the different types and whic woudl be best!!
Old 10-26-2005, 12:57 PM

Received 243 Likes on 155 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
More Important -- protect the sheet metal:

To preclude closing the trunk on a tall object in the trunk and denting the sheet metal from the inside, I installed Masonite inserts.

For details and photos, please see my post on the BenzWorld site at

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/foru...posts=1&fid=27
Old 10-26-2005, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
slk55er, please check your PM
Old 10-26-2005, 11:20 PM

This is a great little "upgrade" - much thanks

"How To: Make a Trunk Lid Protector that MB Forgot

If you open the trunk of your SLK and look at the underside of the trunk lid, you'll see (if yours is like mine) that there is no inner panel on some portions of the trunk lid. I know from unfortunate experience with a BMW 3-series that it is possible to put a dent in the trunk lid from the inside by closing it on some item that projects high enough to contact the lid. Too bad that MB decided to save some cost by not providing an inside panel.

I made templates and cut Masonite pegboard panels to fit into the exposed areas of the lid as shown in the photos. I included an extension on each piece that inserts into one of the grooves surrounding each area. I painted the panels in a matching body color and then used several pieces of Velcro hook-and-loop fastener to hold the panels (in place in addition to the extension inserts.)

I will be glad to give you a full scale template tracing for these panels if you'd send me a self-addressed postage paid 8" x 10" or larger envelope. You can e-mail me at "slk55er@earthlink.net" for mailing address in the USA.

Hope this is helpful.
"
Old 10-27-2005, 11:50 PM

06 SLK55
Just purchased some Dynamat Extreme Wedge pak...will see what 1 layer provides and if it works i may add another layer...i will let everyone know how it goes and post pics when done!
Old 10-28-2005, 05:00 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by slk55er
To preclude closing the trunk on a tall object in the trunk and denting the sheet metal from the inside, I installed Masonite inserts.

For details and photos, please see my post on the BenzWorld site at

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/foru...posts=1&fid=27
Yeah, that's a very nice little mod. I might put some suede on mine in the future... (just need to check price of alcantara leather).
Old 11-03-2005, 07:33 PM

06 SLK55
Originally Posted by Falco
Just purchased some Dynamat Extreme Wedge pak...will see what 1 layer provides and if it works i may add another layer...i will let everyone know how it goes and post pics when done!
I see fedex just delivered this afternoon. Will install this weekend and post reviews and pics. I only ordered enough for 1 layer, but if i notice any improvement i will add a 2nd layer...
Old 11-03-2005, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
I see fedex just delivered this afternoon. Will install this weekend and post reviews and pics. I only ordered enough for 1 layer, but if i notice any improvement i will add a 2nd layer...
What kind of improvement are you expecting? Because you know mine will be installed as soon as I see your pics

Dinko
Old 11-03-2005, 08:02 PM

06 SLK55
Originally Posted by dinko
What kind of improvement are you expecting? Because you know mine will be installed as soon as I see your pics

Dinko
Basically a reduction in overall road noise. As you know, an empty trunk with very little damping can work like a subwoofer and great a low frequency rumble. I noticed how thin the rear deck is once day when my girlfirend was loasing some things in the trunk and I could talk in a normal voice and she would hear me fine! It is basically a 1/4 board with no vibration or noise dampening. I'll let you know how it goes!!!
Old 11-03-2005, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
Basically a reduction in overall road noise. As you know, an empty trunk with very little damping can work like a subwoofer and great a low frequency rumble. I noticed how thin the rear deck is once day when my girlfirend was loasing some things in the trunk and I could talk in a normal voice and she would hear me fine! It is basically a 1/4 board with no vibration or noise dampening. I'll let you know how it goes!!!
For sure, looking forward to it!

Dinko
Old 11-06-2005, 05:19 PM

06 SLK55
Just finished. Still need to smooth it some more, but given the material is like very thick tar/gum, no way to get it totally smooth. Easy install, about 5 min to cut to shape and then afix. Havn't taken it out yet, but first impressions: when you knock on the rear deck when it is closed, instead of the hollow vibrating sound it has a definate solid sound with no vibration. After testing it tomorrow, i'll let you know if any difference and if i'm gonna add a 2nd layer...
Attached Thumbnails Dynamat for the rear deck???-img_0110_1_1.jpg   Dynamat for the rear deck???-img_0111_2_1.jpg   Dynamat for the rear deck???-img_0112_3_1.jpg