Sirius blunder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Dozer42
Sorry Blofin, but it is that easy.

Take a minute to actually read what I wrote, I didn't say ECC correction. I said that there must be some bandwidth left on the table, and to use that to send redundant data down.

And no, it wouldn't take a huge amount of memory, in fact, if your XM radio can store 30 minutes of one channel, that would be enough to cache about 10 seconds of 150 channels, it's a pretty trivial amount by todays standards.

At least take 60 seconds to read what was written before dismissing it out of hand. It wouldn't increase their costs a penny to do it properly from the start. Memory is dirt cheap these days, otherwise they wouldn't have sprung for the memory to store a channel for 30 minutes, thanks for proving my point without realizing it.
OK, Doz, lets just agree to disagree...

I did read all of all of your posts, and tried to understand where you are coming from and see if perhaps you did have some new ideas. BTW, I do electronics design for a living, and am currently involved in Design for Cost projects (though NOT in sat rad).

Also, you DID specifically say use ECC ("I didn't say ECC correction" versus "and send error correction (redundant) data down")? Both from your posts.

The only points I was trying to make are:

1. don't confuse caching memory with the ability to "cover" signal drop outs
2. don't confuse ECC (which can replace a small percentage of lost data) with a redundant data transmission scheme
3. realize that in the consumer space (the receiving radios, not the satellite) cost is paramount, as well as power consumed, increased memory, increased processing power (to cycle thru all the channels in a round robin decoding and storing), etc. all does affect the design and cost

Finally, the only real method to decrease dropouts is to increase coverage, via more satellites and terrestrial repeaters.

But JUST IN CASE, I've completely missed your proposal, then you should, post haste, contact an IPL lawyer and file!
Old 11-21-2005, 08:49 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK55, Infiniti M45 Sport
Originally Posted by bloflin
I did read all of all of your posts, and tried to understand where you are coming from and see if perhaps you did have some new ideas. BTW, I do electronics design for a living, and am currently involved in Design for Cost projects (though NOT in sat rad).
BTW I've been a programmer for 30 years and built an extremely successful corporation off doing just this sort of thing. For example, a couple years ago we were moving a few thousand clients over to a new web hosting and email platform. The company that we were working with originally claimed they could migrate all of our customers email, including the IMAP folders stored on the server to the new platform. Later they said it was 'completely impossible', and their team of 50 programmers couldn't do it. We would either have to shut down the migration which had been planned for 3 months, or lose all customer email data.

I insisted that it was indeed possible, and showed them how it could be done even in Outlook by literally dragging and dropping one folder at a time. They still came back and said it was impossible.

I made it happen and had working prototype code to do so within 4 hours. It wasn't rocket science, I just had to learn the IMAP protocol and automate the moving of folders and data from one server to another and feed it a list of login names, passwords and server names. All the mail for our customers was moved within 48 hours, averting a major disaster. (Trust me, clients get VERY mad when they're using your server to store email for years and it just 'disappears' when you're 'upgrading' them to an improved platform).

And it didn't cost anyone a penny, it just used processing power, memory and bandwidth that we already had available and wasn't being used. (Boy that sounds familiar!)

Originally Posted by blofin
Also, you DID specifically say use ECC ("I didn't say ECC correction" versus "and send error correction (redundant) data down")? Both from your posts.
No, I never said ECC, you did. You tried to put those words in my mouth. I was very specific in saying that the error correction I was talking about was redundant data using the extra bandwidth available.

1. don't confuse caching memory with the ability to "cover" signal drop outs
I'm not confusing it, you are. I'm talking about redundant data, which yes, can cover signal drop outs. That's the whole purpose here.

2. don't confuse ECC (which can replace a small percentage of lost data) with a redundant data transmission scheme
Again you're confusing it, you stated ECC and replacing a small percentage of lost data, not me. I said redundant data which is not what most would consider plain old ECC. This is not just some simple XOR checksum or RAID-5 parity check.

3. realize that in the consumer space (the receiving radios, not the satellite) cost is paramount, as well as power consumed, increased memory, increased processing power (to cycle thru all the channels in a round robin decoding and storing), etc. all does affect the design and cost
I do realize that keeping costs down is paramount, which is why I suggested a way to do it without increasing costs. Your suggestion of using repeaters is very expensive compared to the memory it takes to store this data. Using repeaters is an EXCELLENT idea, but that does cost some serious money.

My idea would not increase cost, except for maybe a minimal memory increase. As you stated, the XM units already have the memory to store 30 minutes, that'd work just fine.

There would be no significant increase in processing power. You're only decompressing one channel as you were before, to make optimum use of that precious memory you'd store the compressed signal. Why in god's name would you want to decode 150 channels just so they'd take up 150 times more cache memory? Now it just looks like you're grasping at straws making up bogus reasons as to why this can't be done. C'mon, you can't seriously believe what you just said there if you've thought about it even for a moment.

Finally, the only real method to decrease dropouts is to increase coverage, via more satellites and terrestrial repeaters.
That's where you're wrong, this method can decrease dropouts without repeaters. There must be at least some additional bandwidth left over. The object here is to use it to send redundant data for the most used channels to cover short dropouts, without any real cost increase at all.

I know you'd like to think it's impossible and there would be some massive increase in memory or processing power needed, but that's just not true.
The memory is already there, the processing power is already there, all they need to do is sit down and do what should have been done properly from the start.

There are people in this world who build, and those who burn. I build.

Last edited by Dozer42; 11-21-2005 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:11 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Okay. You two. 3pm. behind the gym. Don't wuss out.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
I would be pissed personally. But I added it to my W203 no problems. I put the reciever in the center console so no holes or anything. I flip the armrest to change the channel.... But if I they had it when I ordered and I did not get it I would have stuck them with the car and had them order another with it. Just me though....
Old 11-22-2005, 10:15 PM
Almost a Member!

I just recieved my SLK55 and it has the Sirius rebate. My question is how can Mercedes Benz be so inept as to make this car incompatable with Sirius when they made it compatable last year? This is by far the stupidest thing I have seen. There's a button for Sirius radio but I can't have it? It makes no sense that MB would not make it retrofittable. This is the kind of stuff that GM or Toyota might do. I don't understand the lack of hindsight. Can someone make sense of this? I do not want responses that flame. Every car company does something that is so stupid that it defies explanation. I hope there is one.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:01 AM
Almost a Member!

Any way we can de-install the Sirius radio from my SLK55 and install it into yours? Hasn't even been activated yet. =) Toss me an Ipod kit installed and it's yours.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:42 AM
Almost a Member!

Any way we can de-install the Sirius radio from my SLK55 and install it into yours? Hasn't even been activated yet. =) Toss me an Ipod kit installed and it's yours.
I don't think my car has the neccessary wiring harnesses to make it work.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:18 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
I'm done

Ummm... OK Dozer42, I've tried to engage in a spirited technical discussion (which I enjoy), but you keep making it personal (which I don't enjoy)... so.... OK... I concede...

YOUR ARE THE SMARTEST PERSON IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE.

Why you've even solved the infamous "Mail Folder Copy Conundrum", which has baffled scientists for ages, and obviously applies to this discussion.

So, as I suggested in my last post, please I encourage you to get to your IP lawyer quickly and file to protect your proposal. Please don't waste any more time with me as I just can't comprehend. Then quickly call XM and Sirius and let them know you can save them $Ms. When you get your first patent licensing check let us know and we can read your posts on a SLR forum.

Best wishes for the future.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Almost a Member!

Ok, now that's just silly. I in no way insulted you. I called your argument bogus, not you.

On the other hand, you seem to be attacking me with your poor attempt at humor. "Smartest person in the universe?" That's a jibe at me, not my argument.

Seems you're just falling back to: "If you can't make your argument with valid points, attack the opposition instead".

Doesn't work, sorry, I don't go for flamebait.

Happy Holidays guys. =)
Old 12-03-2005, 07:44 PM
Almost a Member!

bloflin must be a Democrat
Old 12-03-2005, 08:21 PM

Getting back to the topic...

...I took delivery a week ago on November 27, and my Sirius is fully functional -- also, where I live, interruptions to the music are infrequent and brief. I do have to say that if my car had come without Sirius given that it was part of my decision to buy, I would have been pretty hacked off!

Now if only I'd read the fine print about the iPod kit -- car is "wired" for iPod, but it's another $299 plus labor to get the connector and to enable the software. Yeesh.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Almost a Member!

There are two guys on this thread that have been incredible blowhards. With all of that knowledge one would think you could answer the question of whether Sirius can be added to the factory Command unit on 2006 SLK's. Cache blashe. I don't care about that crap. Put your little thinking caps on and find out. I'm sure everyone wants to know.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:16 PM
Almost a Member!

Call me a blowhard and I'm supposed to help you now? Uh...
Old 12-03-2005, 09:22 PM
Almost a Member!

Call me a blowhard and I'm supposed to help you now? Uh...

Look at the argument that comensed on this thread over something so idiotic. Now it would be of real help if you put that brain of yours to work on something important like figuring out if the 2006 SLK's can actually be fitted with factory Sirius units. You have to admit that you guys got a little out of hand.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:01 PM
Almost a Member!

I agree, staying on topic may help everyone hint hint. I do have some good news though. Steve (mbenznl) says it is possible to install sirius in a non pre-wired 171, aparently he has already done it. It is VERY $$$$$ and I wouldn't even dream of asking him for details or part #'s as that would go against his livelyhood. I am told he will be in San Fran in Jan/Feb timeframe. If I am still stuck I will certainly consider it.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by bloflin
... Please don't waste any more time with me as I just can't comprehend. Then quickly call XM and Sirius and let them know you can save them $Ms. When you get your first patent licensing check let us know and we can read your posts on a SLR forum.
I actually enjoyed Dozer42's posts and didn't see the spite you did. We see and hear with our minds, not our eyes and ears, you know. Meanwhile, I do like your suggestion and have the name of a great patent atty if Doz wants it. I would love to see him score an SLR!