SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

M3 or SLK55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 11:44 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would it be a given that the M3 is faster around corners? I don't understand that remark.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:10 PM

SLK 55 AMG
I don't think the M3 is faster around the corners.

During a recent race on a curvy undulating road, the gap between my SLK and the M3 kept on growing (I was in front), be it straight or around the bends.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
m3's r harder to drived at full potential than most benzes

by the way, how can a stick lose more power than an auto in the driveline?
u r either on crack or in lala land
Old 12-04-2005, 08:16 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by AMG_55
m3's r harder to drived at full potential than most benzes

by the way, how can a stick lose more power than an auto in the driveline?
u r either on crack or in lala land
Your response shows how unsophisticated you are.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by dsb
I think it's a given that the 55 is faster in straight line performance. I think it's also a given the M3 would be faster around corners. Track performance would likely depend on the track setup (longer, or tighter/shorter).

I don't understand you statement regarding "intentions." Who's to say MB didn't want a car with great straight line performance?
If they wanted the straightline ability of the SLK55 to be its dominant feature worth discussion they would have used a S/C 55 engine. They intended it to be more than competent in every aspect but if you read this thread its like people are saying that its a pure drag car and its straightline speed is the only thing worth considering.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:22 PM

C 230K Coupé
If they wanted the straightline ability of the SLK55 to be its dominant feature worth discussion they would have used a S/C 55 engine. They intended it to be more than competent in every aspect but if you read this thread its like people are saying that its a pure drag car and its straightline speed is the only thing worth considering.
Heh if it was a S/C 55 engine that car would just be scary. Such a little car with that much power !
Old 12-04-2005, 11:19 PM
Almost a Member!

The SLK55 is a well rounded car. It's not intended to be dominant in every catagory or it would hurt sales of MB other cars. It's Mercedes Benz' little muscle car. The SLK55 puts up good numbers against any car in its catagory. It's a $70,000 car and it would get its butt handed to it by the new ZO6. Most other cars in its range are no competition. You can have the M3. For me I would rather have a V8. I'm assuming the new M3 with a V8 will be more expensive. The M3 inline six is tweeked to the limit which is why there is very little in terms of power enhancers. The SLK55 V8 is capable of much more. Most of us bought the SLK for its looks and that nice V8. If you wanted a straight line car that handles well then you could have had the new ZO6 for a little less in a few months. The SLK55 is a solid performer and is a piece of automtive jewelry. I get on these boards every time I get a new car and the discussion is always the same. Is another car better than the car I just bought? Right now my SLK55 is the best thing around. Next year it will be something else. I think the SLK55 is a better car than the M3 or the Cayman. It's better than the Corvette. If your talking about bang for the buck then the Corvette is better. The GTO is better for the money. Where can you get a car with 400hp and 400 foot pounds of torque for uner $32,000? Put the SLK55 next to either of those cars and it's obvious why we bought the SLK55.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:41 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Originally Posted by reggid
I hope people don't think the slk55 is good for only straight line performance. It is a great all-around sports car. If it wasn't, I wouldn't have purchased it.

However, I DO think MB figured it was going to be great in straight line speed. You don't stick a V8 into a tiny car, give it a capable transmission and not figure it would tear ***. Also, I think it would be overkill for them to put a SCer in it. Yeah, some may want that too, but that is just WAY TOO much power for the average person.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:14 AM

AMG
blew them couple of times... I like to tease , slow down , until it comes behind , then speed up again , i like playing this game with m3's .. slk 55 will blow away the m3 in every position you like....
Old 12-06-2005, 03:35 PM

edmunds.com said that the slk55 is faster than the new corvette convertible whihch has more hp and less weight coz of the amazing 7speed tranny.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:46 PM

The slk is definately faster than the current m3. I've driven both and it's not even close on the highway or off the line. In the corners, the slk is a lot more nimble than it's given credit for as well. maybe at 10/10ths the m3 is quicker in the corners, but in typical street driving I don't think it has a chance.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:23 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Originally Posted by dsb
I think it's a given that the 55 is faster in straight line performance. I think it's also a given the M3 would be faster around corners. Track performance would likely depend on the track setup (longer, or tighter/shorter).
I'd like to retract my comment regarding the M3 as being faster in the corners. I remember driving my brothers M3 before I got my slk55 and it seemed faster back then. I also remember checking out performance numbers and could have sworn the M3 had faster slalom times, etc.

After checking the info again, I guess I'm wrong. Since I have the 55, I am quite happy to be wrong. Now I'm looking forward to my brother to visit me. We'll have a little fun and see who is indeed faster be straight line, corners, track...
Old 12-06-2005, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by jak112460
Your response shows how unsophisticated you are.
who the **** r u?
how is my response unsophisticated?

m3 r harder to drive than benzes cause the traction control fully disables on m cars. if u plan on keeping it on then u r looking at the wrong car.
the m suspension is also stiffer (at least stiffer than my clk) which makes it harder to feel when its about to let go.
my brother has a e46 m3 and i used to own an e36 m3, i know what im talkin bout.

as for the power loss, every1 knows auto's loose more power than stick. a car w/ a 7 speed auto might be faster than a 6 spd manual but thats only cause it has more ratios thus letting the car stay in the power band for longer.
ever see the difference between e46 m3 and m coupe (315 hp version)?
6spd v. 5spd
the 15+ disadvantage horsepower is more than compensated for by the lower weight of the m coupe. the after the m coupe hits 3rd gear the m3 looks like it hit nos.

sophisticated enough 4 u, professor?
now go **** ur self.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
The SLK55 is a well rounded car. It's not intended to be dominant in every catagory or it would hurt sales of MB other cars. It's Mercedes Benz' little muscle car. The SLK55 puts up good numbers against any car in its catagory. It's a $70,000 car and it would get its butt handed to it by the new ZO6. Most other cars in its range are no competition. You can have the M3. For me I would rather have a V8. I'm assuming the new M3 with a V8 will be more expensive. The M3 inline six is tweeked to the limit which is why there is very little in terms of power enhancers. The SLK55 V8 is capable of much more. Most of us bought the SLK for its looks and that nice V8. If you wanted a straight line car that handles well then you could have had the new ZO6 for a little less in a few months. The SLK55 is a solid performer and is a piece of automtive jewelry. I get on these boards every time I get a new car and the discussion is always the same. Is another car better than the car I just bought? Right now my SLK55 is the best thing around. Next year it will be something else. I think the SLK55 is a better car than the M3 or the Cayman. It's better than the Corvette. If your talking about bang for the buck then the Corvette is better. The GTO is better for the money. Where can you get a car with 400hp and 400 foot pounds of torque for uner $32,000? Put the SLK55 next to either of those cars and it's obvious why we bought the SLK55.

damn, how did u get to drive the new cayman (my next car, most likely) already
u cant compare a cayman w/ a slk55, they are 2 different cars.
1 is made to go straight very fast and do ok around corners, the other is made to go around corners very fast and do reasonably well on the straight.
1 car is mid engined, the other has most of its weight hanging over puny 225 front tires.

1 is a drivers car, the other is a cruiser that can be hustled around twisty roads w/ decent pace and enjoyment.
before u start saying " u dont even own a slk55, how do u know.........."
cause i do.

i went on a cyn. run and the driver leading (falco) (i was 2nd cause i was not familiar w/ the roads) was driving a slk55. i had no prob. keeping up with him, i know he wasnt pushing and we were not racing, but neither was i.
a well driven m3 or cayman will slowly walk a stock slk55 on a twisty road.

any1 wanna argue that? pm me, ill meet u up w/ my brothers m3 and more than prove my point.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:47 AM
Almost a Member!

who the **** r u?
how is my response unsophisticated?

m3 r harder to drive than benzes cause the traction control fully disables on m cars. if u plan on keeping it on then u r looking at the wrong car.
the m suspension is also stiffer (at least stiffer than my clk) which makes it harder to feel when its about to let go.
my brother has a e46 m3 and i used to own an e36 m3, i know what im talkin bout.

as for the power loss, every1 knows auto's loose more power than stick. a car w/ a 7 speed auto might be faster than a 6 spd manual but thats only cause it has more ratios thus letting the car stay in the power band for longer.
ever see the difference between e46 m3 and m coupe (315 hp version)?
6spd v. 5spd
the 15+ disadvantage horsepower is more than compensated for by the lower weight of the m coupe. the after the m coupe hits 3rd gear the m3 looks like it hit nos.

sophisticated enough 4 u, professor?
now go **** ur self.
Tisk tisk tisk.
Look at the language you have used. You told me I must be on crack or something if I didn't agree with you.You told me to go ***ur self. You ARE unsophisticated.Why are you getting all mad and immature? I owned a 2002 M3. I know what it can and can't do. You obviously just read about it. I own a 2003 ZO6 that will blow away anything you ever hope to own. My SLK55 is simply this years novelty to me.That M3 you don't own is a wet dream for you. It seems that you have lack of knowledge way beyond your years. All you can talk about is your brothers M3. You are a poser. You simply talk. M3's were plagued with engine failures in the beginning that caused many owners to get complete engine replacements. You want to argue that with me? Didn't think so. You take this so personally. So what if the SLK55 is a better car than the M3? The M3 is old tech now, It will better on the next generation. BMW made a huge mistake with that inline six. They probably could have used an alloy V8 and made it lighter and shorter and more powerful. That's getting fixed this next time. Why don't you buy your own car and challenge someone instead of your brothers car? POSER!!!! :p
Old 12-07-2005, 05:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Tisk tisk tisk.
Look at the language you have used. You told me I must be on crack or something if I didn't agree with you.You told me to go ***ur self. You ARE unsophisticated.Why are you getting all mad and immature? I owned a 2002 M3. I know what it can and can't do. You obviously just read about it. I own a 2003 ZO6 that will blow away anything you ever hope to own. My SLK55 is simply this years novelty to me.That M3 you don't own is a wet dream for you. It seems that you have lack of knowledge way beyond your years. All you can talk about is your brothers M3. You are a poser. You simply talk. M3's were plagued with engine failures in the beginning that caused many owners to get complete engine replacements. You want to argue that with me? Didn't think so. You take this so personally. So what if the SLK55 is a better car than the M3? The M3 is old tech now, It will better on the next generation. BMW made a huge mistake with that inline six. They probably could have used an alloy V8 and made it lighter and shorter and more powerful. That's getting fixed this next time. Why don't you buy your own car and challenge someone instead of your brothers car? POSER!!!! :p
i have my own car, if u didnt see,stupid, its a clk55.
and i challenge u to a race. (u asked 4 it, i will rip u and ur z06 a new assssshole thru any canyon.

i never said anything about reliability, just than an m3 is faster and more enjoyable to drive.

a n/a engine that can make over 100hp/lt will never be old tech, u idiot.

by the way, u need to check ur grammar.

"It will better on the next generation. "

u sound like a little girl, and....and...and
use commas, dumbass

"They probably could have used an alloy V8 and made it lighter and shorter and more powerful. "

edit:
i provide u with facts (m cp v. m3 trnny), u provide me with bull****.

and if u keep talkin like that ill u, biitch

Last edited by AMG_55; 12-07-2005 at 05:59 AM.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:12 AM

SLK 55 AMG
AMG 55: chill down man. Your CLK 55 will not beat a Z06 (assuming it's the 505hp version). The car is wicked fast. It won't beat an SLK 55 either. And you use of language on a forum is just a tad immature, keep it clean and let's just talk about the cars in relative terms.

Everyone always has personal experiences and opinions, and they sometimes collide with the views of another member. That's life, and one shouldn't let it get to them. Numbers don't always speak for themselves, and in regards to drivetrain loss, the difference between a manual and automatic is not as large as some people would like to believe (mostly just 5%), and only in powerful cars would that translate to a difference great then 10 or 20hp (here we're talking about +350hp vehicles)...
Old 12-07-2005, 08:33 AM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
I would not mess with a Z06......having said that, i'd much rather be driving a AMG everyday as the crap interior on the vette would make the experience old for me very fast.

AMG_55, it is one thing to be excited and animated when it comes to opinions regarding cars (we wouldn't be on a car forum otherwise)......but lets try and keep it civilized.....last time i checked this wasn't a posrche forum
Old 12-07-2005, 10:02 AM

SLK 55
If these two get going again it might be time to close the thread.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:17 AM
Almost a Member!

i have my own car, if u didnt see,stupid, its a clk55.
and i challenge u to a race. (u asked 4 it, i will rip u and ur z06 a new assssshole thru any canyon.

i never said anything about reliability, just than an m3 is faster and more enjoyable to drive.

a n/a engine that can make over 100hp/lt will never be old tech, u idiot.

by the way, u need to check ur grammar.

"It will better on the next generation. "

u sound like a little girl, and....and...and
use commas, dumbass

"They probably could have used an alloy V8 and made it lighter and shorter and more powerful. "

edit:
i provide u with facts (m cp v. m3 trnny), u provide me with bull****.

and if u keep talkin like that ill u, biitch

I have two words for you. Dr. Phil. I'm sure he has a place for you on his show about anger management.
My ZO6 makes over 640 hp at the wheels. It would have beat your car stock. You are on a thread dedicted to SLK55's and all you have done is talked about M3's. Get on a CLK board and brag about an M3. My SLK55 is my daily driver and I love it. I own an SLK55 and I'm on a board that is dedicated to SLK55's. Do you own an SLK55?
Old 12-07-2005, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by Shinigami
AMG 55: chill down man. Your CLK 55 will not beat a Z06 (assuming it's the 505hp version). The car is wicked fast. It won't beat an SLK 55 either. And you use of language on a forum is just a tad immature, keep it clean and let's just talk about the cars in relative terms.

Everyone always has personal experiences and opinions, and they sometimes collide with the views of another member. That's life, and one shouldn't let it get to them. Numbers don't always speak for themselves, and in regards to drivetrain loss, the difference between a manual and automatic is not as large as some people would like to believe (mostly just 5%), and only in powerful cars would that translate to a difference great then 10 or 20hp (here we're talking about +350hp vehicles)...
i was trying to b reasonable and just state my opinion.
then this dude, who probably sleeps in his slk, started talkin ****.

and i will and have beat the old z06.
i have also got beat by a z06, its all down to the driver of the vette b/c its a stick.
if u notice, i told him race thru a cyn. b/c i know that in a drag my chances are very slim.

i have beat many faster cars thru corners (911tt, 360's, evo's...)
i know what i can do.

btw, 5% isnt a small difference when both cars r so close in hp #'s
Old 12-07-2005, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
I have two words for you. Dr. Phil. I'm sure he has a place for you on his show about anger management.
My ZO6 makes over 640 hp at the wheels. It would have beat your car stock. You are on a thread dedicted to SLK55's and all you have done is talked about M3's. Get on a CLK board and brag about an M3. My SLK55 is my daily driver and I love it. I own an SLK55 and I'm on a board that is dedicated to SLK55's. Do you own an SLK55?
i dont need anger management.
isnt this thread regarding m3's??
im not bragging, im just stating my opinion, if i was really in love w/ a m3; i wouldve bought 1.
the slk (and clk) is a better all around car.
so what u r saying is that unless u own a benz, u should not b on this forum??
i considered getting a slk55 4 my next car, however, its not sporty enough for me.
im considering the new z06 or the cayman s.
unless amg brings out a lighter weight car w/ a stick.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63
Current M3 = an aging, soon to be replaced with a proper V8, German muscle car. Very much in keeping with our SLK55 and a good comparision car. I am looking forward to BMW's update on this car.
2006 Corvette Z06 = Performance beast that is set for it's mostly single minded mission with a hand built 500 hhp engine that sets it apart. Interior is a plastic Fisher Price playroom still in spite of extensive updates.
Both cars are alot of fun, but for me the choice was easy - the SLK55.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:50 PM
Almost a Member!

i dont need anger management.
isnt this thread regarding m3's??
im not bragging, im just stating my opinion, if i was really in love w/ a m3; i wouldve bought 1.
the slk (and clk) is a better all around car.
so what u r saying is that unless u own a benz, u should not b on this forum??
i considered getting a slk55 4 my next car, however, its not sporty enough for me.
im considering the new z06 or the cayman s.
unless amg brings out a lighter weight car w/ a stick.

HA HA HA HA HA!!! LOL LOL LOL!!! You are very entertaining. Considering the new ZO6. LOL. Sure you are.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:31 PM

06 SLK55
HA HA HA HA HA!!! LOL LOL LOL!!! You are very entertaining. Considering the new ZO6. LOL. Sure you are.
jakA$$:

Let me point out that of your whole 30 posts, and more than 50% of your posts have been negative:
https://mbworld.org/forums/search.php?searchid=1114594

You start out with one of your first few posts on 12/3 ripping Dozer and blofin:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...90#post1374490

Then 1 day later you jump in and rip AMG_55(just see above).

Hmmm 30 posts and already you have ripped 3 members...Not a good start . This is a MB community...if you want to be part of it please act like a member of the community.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: M3 or SLK55?