SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Navigation/GPS System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Navigation/GPS System

I have a 2006 SLK 55 AMG with all the bells and whistles. But my navigation/GPS whistle doesnt blow too loudly!

Let me explain. I live in a small town size of approx 30-40K in the Southeast (USA) The road detail of our town is very poor. The navigation system has literally only approx 7-10 roads in its memory!! As I spend almost all my time in my town and the immediate surroundings, I cannot make ANY use of my navigation system, as almost 90% of my POI's/destinations are no where to be found in the system (the become off road items!)

So if Mercedes Benz is reading this email, please take note!

Does anyone have any comments, similar experiences? Also does anyone know of anyway to fix this problem? Are there any new/updated DVD'd available now? (or in the near future?)

Moreover, a friend of mine who owns a late model BMW has an excellent DETAILED Navigation System for our town!! So I am keeping hope for my SLK 55 AMG!!! Thank you.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by Dr.Doc
I have a 2006 SLK 55 AMG with all the bells and whistles. But my navigation/GPS whistle doesnt blow too loudly!

Let me explain. I live in a small town size of approx 30-40K in the Southeast (USA) The road detail of our town is very poor. The navigation system has literally only approx 7-10 roads in its memory!! As I spend almost all my time in my town and the immediate surroundings, I cannot make ANY use of my navigation system, as almost 90% of my POI's/destinations are no where to be found in the system (the become off road items!)

So if Mercedes Benz is reading this email, please take note!

Does anyone have any comments, similar experiences? Also does anyone know of anyway to fix this problem? Are there any new/updated DVD'd available now? (or in the near future?)

Moreover, a friend of mine who owns a late model BMW has an excellent DETAILED Navigation System for our town!! So I am keeping hope for my SLK 55 AMG!!! Thank you.
I dont get it. There are 3 or 4 million people in Sydney and I already know most of the suburbs and shortcuts around town.

Did you just move there ?
Old 01-01-2006, 10:33 PM

1996 - C220/2001 - ML430/ 2005 RX-330
Pop out the navigation dvd and see what map data version it is. 2004.1 and 2005.1 have pretty good coverage of everywhere in the USA, but anything previous to those are very skimpy in rural areas. If you have 2004.1 then you might go up to the 2005.1 and see if that helps, but if that's what you already have that's the best there is at the moment.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:56 AM
Almost a Member!

2006 SLK55 AMG
I agree with you that MB's NAV system is probably one of the worst out there. I also have a NAV in my 2003 M3 and it is incredible compared to MB. My neighbors Acura is also much better than MB. None of this address range crap as it actually tells you when you are at the destination and what side of the street your destination is on. I also have a portable Garmin 2620 unit that is MUCH better than both of them. It has touch screen and much more detail. I think MB should contract Garmin to make there NAV units, I think everyone would be very impressed.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
I agree with you on Garmin. I have one and they are excellent. My nav in my E class has a poor data base of streets in small towns. When passing through them there is one or two streets displayed. Someone should be fired for his/her design of the system. My previous Lexus system had every street that I ever needed. Not a good enough reason to keep the car, though.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have also noticed that the MB Nav system is pretty good but only in the city. I hope MB releases an update soon as I plan to take a cross country trip in the summer in my AMG.

By the way, I think I saw your car on my recent trip to DFW... nice ride!
Old 01-03-2006, 10:36 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK 350
Originally Posted by CDN-SLK55
I agree with you that MB's NAV system is probably one of the worst out there. I also have a NAV in my 2003 M3 and it is incredible compared to MB. My neighbors Acura is also much better than MB. None of this address range crap as it actually tells you when you are at the destination and what side of the street your destination is on. I also have a portable Garmin 2620 unit that is MUCH better than both of them. It has touch screen and much more detail. I think MB should contract Garmin to make there NAV units, I think everyone would be very impressed.
I also agree on Garmin. The StreetPilot 2610 in the other car is much better. The N41/1 Navigation Processor in my SLK is made by Harman/Becker. Definitely not GPS people.