SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

launchingand dynoing my slk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
launchingand dynoing my slk

hey guys sorry for the dumb question but recently purchased my slk55 and was wondering on a good way to launch...since my m3 was six speed...the benz is a new car so i thought hopefully one of u guys can tell me...also are there any procedure to do before i dyno my car...any little bit of info will help...thanks guys

maher
Old 01-12-2006, 11:50 AM

SLK 55 AMG
If you wanna dyno the car, you need to set it up into dyno mode. There's a semi-complex procedure which needs to be followed, by turning the key into a position, and pressing buttons on the steering wheel. This disabled the ESP entirely.

You can find the exact procedure with a search. I don't know if you should do it much tho', as it might be recorded in the cars logs and MB could void your warranty.

I'm still trying to learn the best launch technique myself, and whilst it's fun to just turn off the ESP (into the semi off mode) and hammer the pedal, it does result in too much wheelspin (the tires are just not wide enough). I haven't drag timed my launches as they don't offer anyplaces to do it over here, but I seem to get the best times if I push the pedal down halfway through, and then half a second later push it down all the way. This way the car gets off to a good launch with little or no wheelspin, and then all power is engaged.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:03 PM

cool...thanks but i wanna no how i get the car in dyno mode not to fry anything....
Old 01-12-2006, 11:29 PM
Almost a Member!

06 SLK55, iridium/black 030 AMG Performance Pkg 319 Lighting Pkg 326 Premium Pkg 420 Entertainment
SAMHATTI,

I have posted this a while back, I found this information on Car and Driver, C2Design which is now working on my car have used this procedure while dynoing my car.

Turn It Off—All the Way Off!

For years we've complained about the butt-in behavior of the electronic stability programs in Mercedes-Benzes, which automatically intervene to shut down power and braking when they think your driving needs help. A dashboard switch suggests the program can be turned off, but it can't—it just kicks in at what it sees as a more intemperate level of driving on your part. We were convinced it simply could not be shut off.

Well, Benz lovers, we found a way.

Here's how. To start, turn the ignition key to the first accessory position, making sure the dash display shows the odometer. The SRS airbag light should be on. Press the trip odometer reset button three times rapidly before it goes off. If you do this right, a screen will appear showing a voltmeter. Then press the "up" arrow on the left side of the wheel twice to take you to the "ESP dynamometer test" screen. Using the plus (+) button on the right side of the wheel, select "on." And then start the car. Warnings will appear informing you that the ESP, ABS, and BAS (brake assist) aids are now turned off and you're on your own.

If you did it right, you've put the car in a mode intended for diagnostic testing on a rolling dynamometer—all electronic supervision is unplugged. Unhindered by techno-aids, the SLK's grip on the skidpad improved by 0.03 g compared with simply hitting the ESP switch on the dash. To return all the safety technology, scroll back to the dyno test screen and select "w/t. 15 off" with the minus (-) button. Shutting off all the electronic aids isn't easy, and that should tell you something. Owners are not generally privy to the dynamometer mode; therefore, we will continue to publish test numbers attained with the dashboard ESP switch turned off. We just thought you'd want to know.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:35 PM

Received 243 Likes on 155 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
Originally Posted by SAMHATTI
hey guys sorry for the dumb question but recently purchased my slk55 and was wondering on a good way to launch
maher
You might want to check out my 0-100mph-0 video at

http://home.earthlink.net/~slk55video1/

As you'll see in the video, I've found the best way is to turn off the ESP via the dash button (not into the dyno mode), bring up the rpms slightly and then depress the throttle rapidly, but not "mashing" it.

The PZero Rossos are woefully inadequate for rapid launches and track events, so if you can, go for wider and stickier tires -- I recommend Bridgestone S-03 Pole Positions.