SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Stock wheel weight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2006 | 07:48 PM

Too many to list
Stock wheel weight

Has anyone weighed the stock wheels or know how much they weigh?

I find it Ironic that the 030 "performance package" comes with some ultra heavy wheels which will almost certainly degrade performance.
Old 01-19-2006 | 07:26 AM

2006 SLK 55 AMG
I'm willing to take my wheels and tyres and weight them. I'm interested to see how much more the "package" wheels add to the car. Obviously won't have the tyres off...so we maybe off by a bit.

JMC
Old 01-19-2006 | 07:49 AM

Too many to list
Originally Posted by jcanabal
I'm willing to take my wheels and tyres and weight them. I'm interested to see how much more the "package" wheels add to the car. Obviously won't have the tyres off...so we maybe off by a bit.

JMC
That would be cool. It's easy to find out how much the tires way.
Old 01-19-2006 | 09:34 AM
ON PROBATION

Originally Posted by trompazo
...I find it Ironic that the 030 "performance package" comes with some ultra heavy wheels which will almost certainly degrade performance.
I find it hard to believe that the 18 inch 030 performance package wheels could accurately be described as "ultra heavy".....
Old 01-19-2006 | 12:09 PM

Too many to list
Originally Posted by ClayJ
I find it hard to believe that the 18 inch 030 performance package wheels could accurately be described as "ultra heavy".....
All AMG wheels are ultra heavy. Check out the weights on tirerack.com

I have 18x8.5 wheels on a car that weigh 16 pounds. I bet the AMGs are in the high 20's. Thats ultra heavy to me.
Old 01-19-2006 | 12:15 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Look here...

http://forums.mbnz.org/forums/forums...osts=12&fid=27
Old 01-19-2006 | 12:40 PM
ON PROBATION

The performance package wheels look to me to be the same wheels utilized on the SLK55.... They are not 'ultra light' - but they are certainly not 'ultra heavy'.

I sincerely doubt that AMG would add a tuned, engineered performance package, and then include 'ultra heavy' wheels in the package which would 'almost certainly degrade performance'....

They are also certainly not the ultra light performance wheels utilized on the CLK DTM car - which I would have liked to have seen included.

Why don't you find out what those wheels weigh, and then post concerning their weight, vs. verified weights of alternative fitments?
Attached Thumbnails Stock wheel weight-slk55-oem-wheel.jpg   Stock wheel weight-slk55-perf-pkg-wheels.jpg   Stock wheel weight-clk-dtm-wheels.jpg  
Old 01-19-2006 | 12:52 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
ClayJ,

There's three 3 wheels in discussion.

1) stock 16 spoke wheels
2) pkg 030 5-split spoke wheels (seemingly heavy)
3) 16 spoke wheels on 400hp-performance pkg (I dont think is available in the US)

I don't know if wheel #1 and #3 are the same. It is interesting, however, that the 400hp car does not use wheel #2. My only guess would be they're too heavy?
Old 01-19-2006 | 01:18 PM
ON PROBATION

There are a couple of members on this forum who have actually received their SLK55's with the 030 performance package -- wheels do look to me to be exactly the same wheels as on the SLK55 without the package. I have not personally seen an 030 SLK55 -- so I don't know from my own experience.

I am referring to the 18" wheels fitted on both the SLK55 and the SLK55 with the 030 package in the USA (is it a USA vs. ROW difference confusing the issue?). My understanding was that the 400hp special performance package also utilizes the 18" wheels as on the other two SLK55's above - and that is my picture number two previously posted.

The CLK DTM wheels are ultra light, and are a completely different wheel, obviously (wheel in pic three previously posted).

It is my understanding that OEM AMG wheels are relatively heavier when compared to available-fitment aftermarket wheel options...however, you don't hear about OEM AMG wheels being damaged at every pothole, which is our common experience with most aftermarket ultra lightweights. I have heard it said two or thirty times that AMG purposely utilizes a heavier wheel for exactly this reason - durabilty.

And AMG tunes the suspension and fits the braking systems utilizing these wheels - so I don't acept a 'degradation of performance' argument. Can better performance be gained through reducing unsprung weight with an alternative aftermarket wheel? Sure, I don't see why not; as long as fitment works. May even be able to fit more rubber on in the process.

And of course, Tirerack does not have the weight for the SLK55 wheels, or the 030 wheel....

I would very much like to find out what these amounts are -- one of the many reasons that I am on this forum. I think that that was what I was trying to get at with my last post - let's find out what the numbers are on OEM, 030, and on the available-fitment aftermarket alternatives....

Last edited by ClayJ; 01-19-2006 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-19-2006 | 01:34 PM

'06 SLK55 AMG, del Sol VTEC
Someone on the other forum posted that the stock 16 spoke SLK55 wheels weigh 11.7 (front) and 11.9 (rear) kilograms.
Old 01-19-2006 | 01:36 PM

Too many to list
Originally Posted by dsb
Based on the weights in the link, they are ultra heavy. Based on the weight for all AMG wheels listed on tirerack.com, they are ultraheavy.

Although, most people don't care. It's all about the bling.
Old 01-19-2006 | 02:07 PM

Too many to list
If that link about is correct about the rivetted wheels weighing 15.4kg (34 pounds each) which is not surprising given the weight of other AMG wheels, then the 030 package should be called the 'Reduced performance package."

Adding 9 pounds of weight to each wheel (unspring) would be equivalent to adding 140 pounds of weight to the car and would significantly degrade acceleration and handing.

I'm looking for wheels that weigh less than 18 pounds.
Old 01-19-2006 | 02:09 PM

Too many to list
The performance package wheels look to me to be the same wheels utilized on the SLK55.... They are not 'ultra light' - but they are certainly not 'ultra heavy'.

I sincerely doubt that AMG would add a tuned, engineered performance package, and then include 'ultra heavy' wheels in the package which would 'almost certainly degrade performance'....

They are also certainly not the ultra light performance wheels utilized on the CLK DTM car - which I would have liked to have seen included.

Why don't you find out what those wheels weigh, and then post concerning their weight, vs. verified weights of alternative fitments?
The wheels in your pic are not the ones that come on the US spec 030 perf package. They are rivetted 5 spokes like on the FI pacecar.
Old 01-19-2006 | 03:23 PM
ON PROBATION

Alright - one more try and then I'm just going to step back and away from this one....

This is the pic of the wheel which Shingami posted on Benzworld as getting the weight on from the dealer (pic one) at approximately 15kg (front & rear differ).

This is the wheel that jesseliu & jcanabal have posted as being on their 030 pkg SLK55 (pics two & three).

This is the wheel that Tirerack lists in 19 inch - not 18 inch (pic four).

They don't all look like the exact same wheel to me.... And I still want to know, what is the verified weight of an SLK55 18 inch 2-piece 030 PKG wheel (front & rear)...? Do we accept shingami's post on Benzworl as correct? Does anyone actually know what the weight front & rear of the SLK55 030 PKG wheels are? And has anyone actually fitted a lighter aftermarket wheel on an 030 PKG'd SLK55?

...'cause inquiring minds want to know, for sure.
Attached Thumbnails Stock wheel weight-slk55-030-pkg-wheels-maybe-1-small-.jpg   Stock wheel weight-slk55-030-pkg-wheels-2-small-.jpg   Stock wheel weight-slk55-030-pkg-wheel-3-small-.jpg   Stock wheel weight-amg_dbl_spk_2pc_bs_ci3_l-19in-small-.jpg  
Old 01-19-2006 | 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
030 rims

Just so everyone is clear ... the US 030 package rims are 18s ... the weight you were looking at (if the same rim, which it doesn't look like) is 19s.

We need to get the weight for the AMG 18s 030 rims that go on the SLK55.

19s will almost ALWAYS be heavier than an 18. I'd further say that if its the same rim its IS always heavier as a 19 than 18.
Old 01-19-2006 | 03:38 PM

2006 SLK 55 AMG
Well....I took the time to take the wheels off the car and weight them.

First...I noticed they are made by: http://www.cromodorawheels.it/cromodora.html

Second..I also noticed that they are "marked" (on the steel) as Left (L) Front (F) etc....I didn't know they are side specific!! hummmm???

OK...the pics are right....the 2-3rd pics are from the USA 030 package. The euro ones maybe different (I doubt...except that the F1 car actually uses 19's and not 18's. The first and last...I don't know but they look kind of fake-looking (but int maybe the pic quality)

So the weights:

Front: = 28 pounds

Rear: = 30 pounds

I think...yes they are heavy...the question remains...are they heavier than the non-030 ones?

(I weight them with the tire and then substracted the listed tire weight.)

Can anyone do the same with non-030 car/wheels? Please!

Thanks,

JMC
PS: Pics of my car: https://mbworld.org/forums/slk55-r171/119630-pick-up-day.html

Last edited by jcanabal; 01-19-2006 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-19-2006 | 04:11 PM
ON PROBATION

Thank You, Jesseliu and jcanabal -- now we're getting somewhere!

Just note, guys, that those 28 & 30 pound weigh-ins included the air in the tire -- which does amount to a pound or more of additional weight (weird, huh?) I believe.

Hopefully someone will weigh-in (pun intended) with a verified weight for the OEM SLK55 wheels (without the 030 Pkg).

And I would very much still like to hear from someone that has actually replaced the 030 Pkg wheels with a viable aftermarket alternative -- then I would know more about how I'm going to deal with my two on-the-way 030 SLK55's....

Thanks again, guys - great job!
Old 01-19-2006 | 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
one more piece of info needed

Thanks Jcanabal for that info ... one piece more that could be helpful is actually which tires you are using ... different tires weigh different amounts. Are you still using the stock pirelli tires?
Old 01-19-2006 | 06:04 PM

2006 SLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jesseliu
Thanks Jcanabal for that info ... one piece more that could be helpful is actually which tires you are using ... different tires weigh different amounts. Are you still using the stock pirelli tires?

My car came with Continental SportContact2: 225/40 ZR18 92Y and 245/35 ZR18 92Y

No Pirelli's....I got no idea what other 030's got from the ship/Germany

JMC
Old 01-19-2006 | 06:43 PM

Too many to list
Originally Posted by jcanabal
Well....I took the time to take the wheels off the car and weight them.

First...I noticed they are made by: http://www.cromodorawheels.it/cromodora.html

Second..I also noticed that they are "marked" (on the steel) as Left (L) Front (F) etc....I didn't know they are side specific!! hummmm???

OK...the pics are right....the 2-3rd pics are from the USA 030 package. The euro ones maybe different (I doubt...except that the F1 car actually uses 19's and not 18's. The first and last...I don't know but they look kind of fake-looking (but int maybe the pic quality)

So the weights:

Front: = 28 pounds

Rear: = 30 pounds

I think...yes they are heavy...the question remains...are they heavier than the non-030 ones?

(I weight them with the tire and then substracted the listed tire weight.)

Can anyone do the same with non-030 car/wheels? Please!

Thanks,

JMC
PS: Pics of my car: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119630

Thanks, verification that the 030 wheels are complete pigs.

The air in the tire has no effect.

Assuming the link that indicated the standard wheels are in the 25 pound range, they are still really heavy but at least better.

A 5 pound difference will have a significant impact on accelleration and handling.

And whoever said that a 19" wheel will always weigh more than an 18" wheel, where you talking about the same style of wheel? If so, then of course. But if not, then thats not even close to be true. There are 19" wheels coming in at less than 18 pounds.
Old 01-19-2006 | 07:53 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by trompazo
Thanks, verification that the 030 wheels are complete pigs.

The air in the tire has no effect.

Assuming the link that indicated the standard wheels are in the 25 pound range, they are still really heavy but at least better.

A 5 pound difference will have a significant impact on accelleration and handling.

And whoever said that a 19" wheel will always weigh more than an 18" wheel, where you talking about the same style of wheel? If so, then of course. But if not, then thats not even close to be true. There are 19" wheels coming in at less than 18 pounds.
Geezuz, time for me to buy some rims! I came out with 26 lbs/ea for the stockers based on the 11.7 & 11.9 kilo (non 030 package which do indeed "appear" to look heavier). Even at 26 lbs, its OBESE! Time to nuke these rims...I knew they were pigs & I never liked them anyway! Time to talk to Fikse.

See ya,
-Matt
Old 01-19-2006 | 09:31 PM

Too many to list
Originally Posted by Yellow R1
Geezuz, time for me to buy some rims! I came out with 26 lbs/ea for the stockers based on the 11.7 & 11.9 kilo (non 030 package which do indeed "appear" to look heavier). Even at 26 lbs, its OBESE! Time to nuke these rims...I knew they were pigs & I never liked them anyway! Time to talk to Fikse.

See ya,
-Matt
CCW is also a good option. Talked to them a few weeks ago and they were just going to get them on a SLK to confirm that 8.5 fronts and 10 inch rears fit.

If you want 19's, SSR Comps are a great track wheel. Tire rack has them in 19s for an SLK. They'd be great with some Michelin Pilot sport cups.
Old 01-20-2006 | 01:41 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Hopefully someone will weigh-in (pun intended) with a verified weight for the OEM SLK55 wheels (without the 030 Pkg).
I'll do it. Would have tonight, but my weight scale has a dead battery! whoops! I'll try to do it tomorrow morning, once I get that CR2032 battery.
Old 01-20-2006 | 04:09 AM

SLK 55 AMG
When I asked the dealer for the weight of the rims, the weight listed in their system may have been an indicated weight for rim with the tire already in place, or perhaps a weight for the rim and the box it comes in...

But I kind of doubt this... Also, as has been pointed out in some discussions, there's two kin of split 5 spoke rims out there, and they do come in several sizes.

When I asked for the rim size and weight, I went with 18" only, and I specified the real AMG split 5 spoke rim, not the non-AMG one which where the splits are in a more curved shape then on the AMG ones where they're a lot more straight.

Since they were definitely heavier then my current rims (and a lot more expensive), I declined the offer to buy them. However, the only way to truly find out the correct weight, is to of course weigh them yourself.
Old 01-20-2006 | 10:57 AM

Too many to list
Originally Posted by Shinigami
When I asked the dealer for the weight of the rims, the weight listed in their system may have been an indicated weight for rim with the tire already in place

Ahh, no. IN that case they would be the lightest wheels on earth. AMG wheels are known to be very heavy. Theres no revelations here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stock wheel weight