SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Some real quick pics..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 11:19 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 SLK55, iridium/black 030 AMG Performance Pkg 319 Lighting Pkg 326 Premium Pkg 420 Entertainment
zaint10,

I would go with silver or a two tone black/silver, Initially I decided on two tone but then decided to go with silver alone, I feel all black won't show the lines as well.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:38 PM

SL 6.1 Brabus, E55, SLK55
Originally Posted by SLKfromLOKEY
zaint10,

I would go with silver or a two tone black/silver, Initially I decided on two tone but then decided to go with silver alone, I feel all black won't show the lines as well.
Thanks SLKfromLokey

hmm... Interesting.....I totally agree with you on your comment on black!
I was thinking of two tone too but thought it would not be possible so I didn't take it seriously. Any head up on how to go about doing 2 tones? Which part silver and which part black???
Old 02-13-2006, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by dsb
PS, it's hard to tell how much lower the car is. Did you ever measure the wheel gap before and after the drop? Can you provide the difference? If you didn't take before measurements, could you at least post after measurements? You have the only 55 with a drop so that data would help.
The wheel gap for the 55 and the 350 w/ amg kit, should be the same, I measured it today, and it's 1 1/4" front and 1 1/2" rear. I attempt to lower the SLK today w/o success, the spring compressor I got from autozone didn't work, so I will have to take it to a professional to have them compress the springs. Looks like it' going to be another 1/4" lower in the front and 1" lower in the rear. I also test fit my wheels today and it fit perfectly, will have the tires and wheels mounted and balanced tomorrow, if all goes well, I should have my wheels and car lowered tomorrow.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:41 AM
Almost a Member!

06 SLK55, iridium/black 030 AMG Performance Pkg 319 Lighting Pkg 326 Premium Pkg 420 Entertainment
zaint10,

C2D and I were planning on leaving the lip on the diffuser silver and only the two left and right panels in black, when I refer to the lip, I'm referring to the edge that goes around the piece and in the middle.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:20 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Originally Posted by Ynot
The wheel gap for the 55 and the 350 w/ amg kit, should be the same, I measured it today, and it's 1 1/4" front and 1 1/2" rear. I attempt to lower the SLK today w/o success, the spring compressor I got from autozone didn't work, so I will have to take it to a professional to have them compress the springs. Looks like it' going to be another 1/4" lower in the front and 1" lower in the rear. I also test fit my wheels today and it fit perfectly, will have the tires and wheels mounted and balanced tomorrow, if all goes well, I should have my wheels and car lowered tomorrow.
When you remove the rear springs, identify the size of the spring shims. Note, the sides do not always match. The purpose of the shim is to level the vehicle. There should be some marking identifying whether it is 1,2,3, or 4dot size. If you car has issues, this may be your resolve. The shim is located at the top of the spring, not the bottom. I talked to the parts department and they gave me sizing. Size 1 = 1mm, Size 4 = 17mm. I don't remember what size 2 & 3 equals but it's probably around 6mm and 11mm.

BTW, I thought of taking out the springs myself but was worried about something going wrong and losing an eye. Why didn't the spring compressor work? Too tight to get it in there? Too dangerous?
Old 02-13-2006, 02:37 AM

2006 SLK55 AMG
awesome!
thx for the help
Old 02-13-2006, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by SLKfromLOKEY
zaint10,

C2D and I were planning on leaving the lip on the diffuser silver and only the two left and right panels in black, when I refer to the lip, I'm referring to the edge that goes around the piece and in the middle.
Thanks for you reply SLkfrom Lokey. I think the dual color diffuser sounds good, but it will create too much conplexityin term of design on the car. I think I would stick with either silver or black.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:30 AM

AMG
is the 4rth pic was taken on boyloston street?> where lords & taylors is?
Old 02-13-2006, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by dsb
When you remove the rear springs, identify the size of the spring shims. Note, the sides do not always match. The purpose of the shim is to level the vehicle. There should be some marking identifying whether it is 1,2,3, or 4dot size. If you car has issues, this may be your resolve. The shim is located at the top of the spring, not the bottom. I talked to the parts department and they gave me sizing. Size 1 = 1mm, Size 4 = 17mm. I don't remember what size 2 & 3 equals but it's probably around 6mm and 11mm.

BTW, I thought of taking out the springs myself but was worried about something going wrong and losing an eye. Why didn't the spring compressor work? Too tight to get it in there? Too dangerous?
Thanks for the tip, I finished installing the front today, it does drop exactly 1/4". The spring compressor didn't work for the front b/c I couldn't clamp both end of the spring. I tried compressing from the middle and went almost all the way down and still couldn't get the top bolt to screw in. I could have force it but if the spring compressor slips I would have lose more than an eye, It wasn't worth it. I took it to a professor to have them take out and install the spring, cost me $30 bucks.

I also had my tires mounted today, after I installed my springs, I tried to mount the wheels, had some problems, I thought the wheels didn't fit, and after talking to Yuya from DCR, he said I need new lug nuts, went to Discount tires and got new ones, it fit one side and not the other. The rear fits perfectly, althought I think 10" are too wide if you don't lower your slk, it looks like it sticks out more than it actually does. After trying different ways to fix the problem in the end, I didn't have much time to install the springs in the rear. BTW do you know if the rear spring is compress? It doesn't look like it. The spring compressor didn't fit, so I'm going to do some research before attempting to lower the rear.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:49 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Thanks for the tip, I finished installing the front today, it does drop exactly 1/4". The spring compressor didn't work for the front b/c I couldn't clamp both end of the spring. I tried compressing from the middle and went almost all the way down and still couldn't get the top bolt to screw in. I could have force it but if the spring compressor slips I would have lose more than an eye, It wasn't worth it. I took it to a professor to have them take out and install the spring, cost me $30 bucks.

I also had my tires mounted today, after I installed my springs, I tried to mount the wheels, had some problems, I thought the wheels didn't fit, and after talking to Yuya from DCR, he said I need new lug nuts, went to Discount tires and got new ones, it fit one side and not the other. The rear fits perfectly, althought I think 10" are too wide if you don't lower your slk, it looks like it sticks out more than it actually does. After trying different ways to fix the problem in the end, I didn't have much time to install the springs in the rear. BTW do you know if the rear spring is compress? It doesn't look like it. The spring compressor didn't fit, so I'm going to do some research before attempting to lower the rear.
I'm glad to hear the front only dropped 1/4". I was concerned it would be too low. I agree with your comment regarding 10" wheels. Here's a quick few pics with mine on. Keep in mind that there is a 3mm spacer on. I think it sticks out just a little too much but that should be resolved once I install springs and new wheels that dont require a spacer. Lastly, I don't understand the question you're asking regarding the rears. However, if it only cost you $30 to install the front springs, why didn't you have them install the rears too?
Attached Thumbnails Some real quick pics..-angle.jpg   Some real quick pics..-side.jpg   Some real quick pics..-rear.jpg  
Old 02-13-2006, 10:09 PM

AMG&AMG,

hmm nope, they are not... but yah it does look pretty similar.

I think so too that 10" rear looks a little too sticking out. Just slightly. If lowered a little will probably look way better.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by dsb
I'm glad to hear the front only dropped 1/4". I was concerned it would be too low. I agree with your comment regarding 10" wheels. Here's a quick few pics with mine on. Keep in mind that there is a 3mm spacer on. I think it sticks out just a little too much but that should be resolved once I install springs and new wheels that dont require a spacer. Lastly, I don't understand the question you're asking regarding the rears. However, if it only cost you $30 to install the front springs, why didn't you have them install the rears too?
The front and rear springs are different, the front springs are on the struts and rear is on the side. $30 is for them to compress the spring and bolt it on the strut, with a professional spring compressor it takes less the 10 mintues per spring. I took the strut off the car and let them do it, $30 is not for them to take out my struts, compress the springs, and then install it back on my SLK. If it was that cheap, I would not bother to do it myself.

Since the rear spring is on the side and if not compress, it looks like three bolts is holding it, it looks like an easy job, but if it's compress, I need some kind of spring compressor so it doesn't pop out and hurt somebody.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by zaint10
AMG&AMG,

hmm nope, they are not... but yah it does look pretty similar.

I think so too that 10" rear looks a little too sticking out. Just slightly. If lowered a little will probably look way better.
It definately will look better if you lower it, 9.5" is ideal if you don't want it to stick out at all. btw, I just notice I didn't complement your car yet. It's definately a beauty, a job well done.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:41 PM

It definately will look better if you lower it, 9.5" is ideal if you don't want it to stick out at all. btw, I just notice I didn't complement your car yet. It's definately a beauty, a job well done.
Thanks Ynot! Looking forward to see yours when its lowered and with your new rims on!!
Please advised me more on lowering the car. Looking forward to get mine lowered too. If no rubbing problems.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by zaint10
Thanks Ynot! Looking forward to see yours when its lowered and with your new rims on!!
Please advised me more on lowering the car. Looking forward to get mine lowered too. If no rubbing problems.
Doesn't look like mine is going to rub but since you have a 55, it might be different. I'm also looking forward to seeing the slk lowered and with my new wheels, if all goes well, it should be finished wednesday.