Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 04:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
SLK55 Modifications for Starters!

I wouldlike to know modificationsfor my SLK55

I am thinking of adding Greenfilters! Ecu upgrade

And do you guys know how much does the Kleemann Camshafts cost and How much does the Kleemann Headers cost?

What about Kleemann Sport Catalytics? Does anyone know where can i get them , I tried to contact Kleemann and they didnot reply to me!

Are there any other modifications to add that arent that exspensive!

Thank you in advance
Old 03-06-2006, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 6.1 Brabus, E55, SLK55
I just saw your post on benzworld.org. I hope you dont mind if I answered it here. Regarding Kleemann sport catalyst. I ordered them long time ago.... can't really remember how much I paid... (sorry)
hmm If im not wrong $US 500-600 with installation??? Little difference in exhaust noise at lower rpms but definitely more agressive at high revs...More responsive?? mayb its just me... but over all.... No regrets.

I assume you live outside the States. I reckon u should be able to locate local dealers from kleemann site.

-I'm waiting for Greenfilters from Euroteck too.

-Also getting kleemann ECU done ASAP. cant wait.....

-Evosport under drive pulley would be an inexpensive mods , and hopefully can squeeze out 10~12 more ponnies....( no good technicians here so I might skip mine) <--Ask Dinko for more info....

-Headers you should be looking at around ~$4000 but best bang for bucks for N/A slk55 ( ~ +30hp/30tq)

-Eisenmann exhaust ( not yet available for slk) but usual claim of some hp gain

Hope this can be somewhat helpful
Old 03-06-2006, 06:02 AM

SLK 55 AMG
It can take a few days for Kleemann to reply.

The headers will cost about $3000.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Okay, im going to Check evo sport under drive pulley!
Old 03-06-2006, 06:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Couldnt find Evosport underdrive pulleys....There no pulley listed for SLK55 only CLS55,SL55 etc
Old 03-06-2006, 06:24 AM

SL 6.1 Brabus, E55, SLK55
Try checking under V8 N/A pulley. It should be there.

Shinigami is right.....the headers were ~$3500++ but with weak US$ against stronger Euros I would say should be getting close to $4000 us.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Originally Posted by zaint10
Try checking under V8 N/A pulley. It should be there.

Shinigami is right.....the headers were ~$3500++ but with weak US$ against stronger Euros I would say should be getting close to $4000 us.
evosport - Under-Drive Pulley Kit, Performance - Mercedes-Benz V8 w/o factory Kompressor (1998+)

Is it this?
Old 03-06-2006, 06:53 AM

SLK 55 AMG
umm... if I'm not mistaken, a pulley is only used on supercharged engines. Since the 55 is naturally aspirated, you don't have any pulleys for it.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Originally Posted by Shinigami
umm... if I'm not mistaken, a pulley is only used on supercharged engines. Since the 55 is naturally aspirated, you don't have any pulleys for it.
No , not always M3's have aftermarket pullies and they are not even Supercharged
Old 03-06-2006, 12:25 PM

Received 243 Likes on 155 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
Here we go again. Sorry, but...

Originally Posted by alroumi
I wouldlike to know modificationsfor my SLK55

..Greenfilters...Ecu upgrade...Camshafts...Catalytics..
OK, perhaps "alroumi" is a very experienced driver with a lot of track time and driving instruction in his background. But really, I'm always amazed at how otherwise sensible people are so eager to throw $$$ away to modify an already fantastic car for minimal performance gains.

As many of us have encouraged in previous posts, why not spend your $$$ on yourself and attend numerous driving schools and track sessions to improve your driving skills that will last the rest of your life?

"To make your car go fast, send it's driver to school."
Old 03-06-2006, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Originally Posted by slk55er
OK, perhaps "alroumi" is a very experienced driver with a lot of track time and driving instruction in his background. But really, I'm always amazed at how otherwise sensible people are so eager to throw $$$ away to modify an already fantastic car for minimal performance gains.

As many of us have encouraged in previous posts, why not spend your $$$ on yourself and attend numerous driving schools and track sessions to improve your driving skills that will last the rest of your life?

"To make your car go fast, send it's driver to school."
Sorry, But I have a tendancy to modify my cars, Unfortunatley we dont have a Track over here, the closest track is in Bahrain !

Thank you in advance
Old 03-06-2006, 02:40 PM

SLK 55 AMG
No , not always M3's have aftermarket pullies and they are not even Supercharged
I know there are various belts and the bits they keep spinning are used to power the shafts, springs, etc...

But is the word "pulley" also used to describe these bits and pieces? Thought there was some other word for it.

The only mods that I'm well informed of include camshafts, headers, valve springs, CF airbox, the supercharger, ecu mod and that's about it for the SLK.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:48 AM

06 SLK55
I know there are various belts and the bits they keep spinning are used to power the shafts, springs, etc...

But is the word "pulley" also used to describe these bits and pieces? Thought there was some other word for it.

The only mods that I'm well informed of include camshafts, headers, valve springs, CF airbox, the supercharger, ecu mod and that's about it for the SLK.
Yes, the underdrive pullies specifically under drive the alternator and other power robbing items that a serpentine belt or the like powers. They do not add any hp, but rather reduce the amount of hp being robbed by these other items...
Old 03-07-2006, 06:57 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Falco: thanks for clearing that out

But would the different really be that noticeable? I doubt replacing those belts would net more then a few hp, they're still there running the alternator and other bits, which must be kept running

It has been mentioned before, the headers and an ECU from kleemann is the quickest and cheapest (if $3000-4000 is considered cheap) to get another 40hp from the car.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Falco: thanks for clearing that out

But would the different really be that noticeable? I doubt replacing those belts would net more then a few hp, they're still there running the alternator and other bits, which must be kept running

It has been mentioned before, the headers and an ECU from kleemann is the quickest and cheapest (if $3000-4000 is considered cheap) to get another 40hp from the car.
There is a place over here that has the Ecu Program For the CLK55 W209 since they are the same engine would it work on my R171 SLK55
Old 03-07-2006, 09:19 AM

SLK 55 AMG
I have no idea... Yes, it's technically the very same engine, but the HP levels between the NA 55's still varies by up to 10hp, and I'm not sure if this is a result of the exhaust system being different, or an ECU mod...

Why not call them up and ask them? Maybe they will do the mod for free if you ask to be a guinea pig with your car (however, if they DO break something, you've got a problem on your hands).

You need to weigh the pros and cons...
Old 03-07-2006, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
I have no idea... Yes, it's technically the very same engine, but the HP levels between the NA 55's still varies by up to 10hp, and I'm not sure if this is a result of the exhaust system being different, or an ECU mod...

Why not call them up and ask them? Maybe they will do the mod for free if you ask to be a guinea pig with your car (however, if they DO break something, you've got a problem on your hands).

You need to weigh the pros and cons...

Btw, You might know them Fasttuning from Germany!
Old 03-07-2006, 10:20 AM

2006 SLK55 AMG
fasttuning?

don't go with ECU upgrades that aren't specifically designed for your car. CLK55s have a 5 speed transmission etc but the same engine.

kleemann, vaeth (german) and fabdesign are goot

Last edited by nishi; 03-07-2006 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Originally Posted by nishi
don't go with ECU upgrades that aren't specifically designed for your car. CLK55s have a 5 speed transmission etc but the same engine.

if you can speak german:
mach es lieber nicht und hol dir lieber ECU upgrade von kleemann, die sind wirklich die guenstigsten und besten modification anbieter. wenn du schon so ein geniales auto faehrst, hol dir auch was anstaendiges Vaeth bietet auch geniale upgrades an, dazu FabDesign

if not - stick to kleemann
Sorry, but i dont okay i will see about Kleemann
Old 03-07-2006, 02:45 PM

SLK 55 AMG
Btw, You might know them Fasttuning from Germany!
Nope, I don't know them (btw: update your location so we know where you're posting from).

We do have one tuning house in Switzerland called www.digit-power.ch
They have tuning products for other 55's, but nothing for the SLK...

Fab-Tuning is also Swiss, incidentally.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:42 AM

SLK55
Originally Posted by Falco
Yes, the underdrive pullies specifically under drive the alternator and other power robbing items that a serpentine belt or the like powers. They do not add any hp, but rather reduce the amount of hp being robbed by these other items...
Lightened pulleys are primarilly used on turbocharged engines to reduce "lag" by decreasing spool-up time. They are usually used with lightened flywheels. They also decrease total vehicle weight as well.

The downside to this is less drivetrain inertia with decreased fuel efficiency, voltage shortfalls as well as less dampening and more drivetrain vibration.

They do not increase engine output.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Guys do you reccomend me to add the Evosport Pullies or not!
Its the Cheapest mod for now after the Green filters!
Old 03-08-2006, 10:05 PM

06 SLK55
Guys do you reccomend me to add the Evosport Pullies or not!
Its the Cheapest mod for now after the Green filters!
Yes. Green Filters, evosport pullies, kleemann headers, kleemann ecu and you are 400hp and 415 tq...for <5K installed...
Old 03-08-2006, 10:08 PM

06 SLK55
Originally Posted by fredfromny
Lightened pulleys are primarilly used on turbocharged engines to reduce "lag" by decreasing spool-up time. They are usually used with lightened flywheels. They also decrease total vehicle weight as well.

The downside to this is less drivetrain inertia with decreased fuel efficiency, voltage shortfalls as well as less dampening and more drivetrain vibration.

They do not increase engine output.
Per my post, the pullies help RELEASE hp not necessarily by being lighter but by underdriving the alternator etc, so as to not rob the engine of as much power.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:55 AM

SLK55
Originally Posted by Falco
Per my post, the pullies help RELEASE hp not necessarily by being lighter but by underdriving the alternator etc, so as to not rob the engine of as much power.
Good point and I totally agree. I wasn't thinking about underdriving.
But the question remains how much actual HP does the 12V DC alternator, power steering and AC unit on "off" rob from the drivetrain? Evosport makes claims but where's the dyno printouts? At the wheels.
See here.

I have lightened pullies in my stage3 1.8T so I'm not against them, but I wonder if they're worth the $$$ in a NA V8. Maybe if the poster wants to go with a SC later on it would be. But then again installation would be easier at that time. My vote is for the wider tires to get the power down, then an LSD.
Cheers

Last edited by fredfromny; 03-09-2006 at 08:18 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLK55 Modifications for Starters!