SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Brabus vs Kleemann on SLK55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 10:09 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Le Corre
Like NY_SG mentionned above, Kleemann has a lot of different engine kits so you have first to consider what you want. I wouldn't go for a Kompressor kit since it will overstress the whole structure/gearbox but perhaps they have other kits I don't know.
For Brabus, you have the B 55 S kit which delivers 390 HP and the 6,1 S kit which delivers 445 HP.

If I were you I would first consider what kind of kit I want: slight modification, heavy changes, Kompressor,etc... Then you'll have to define what other mods you have to do to cope with the power increase (in case of heavy changes) and finally you will have to define a budget to see what you can afford.

NY_SG is also right concerning the warranty, it's a really important point to add to your equation.

As a conclusion, I would say that if you can, go for the 6,1 S kit. Many will spit on this option arguing that a Kompressor will give you more bang for your buck but they compare two different worlds.
with the 6,1 S kit, you just don't buy a engine kit, you buy a new engine. Bottrop plant where Brabus engines are handcrafted are exactly the same than the AMG one in Affalterbach. If you choose this way, you won't have a tuned AMG M113, you will have Brabus M113, with an engine number and the signature of the mecanician who asembled it. Perhaps it's nothing for most of you, but I hope that some see the difference.
Wow! Excellent misinformation.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Brabus B55 (Brabus Modified SLK55)
Originally Posted by G55K
Wow! Excellent misinformation.
Specify exactly what is wrong with his information. It all sounds correct to me and very well thought-out. His opinion doesn't qualify as "information." You can disagree with him but make an argument - don't just say he is wrong and abandon the fight. I would like to hear where you think he is misinformed. He is absolutely correct regarding the BRABUS options and his opinion is that the 6.1 engine displacement is the best route. How is that "misinformation"? I have nearly every BRABUS upgrade worth getting on the SLK55 from BRABUS except for the 6.1. I have first-hand experience with their sales staff, shop and merchandise. Certainly, BRABUS isn't perfect but his "information" regarding the different options is spot-on. Even Kleemann will tell you that the kompressor stresses the components. Now, the SLK55 can take a lot of stress - I'm not saying the engine is going to blow - but it certainly puts more stress on the engine than leaving it naturally aspirated. That is a simple and well-known fact. Don't get me wrong - Kleemann is cool. But you have to accept that they are going to use bolt-on modifications that are going to produce more engine stress.

Personally, I don't see getting the BRABUS 6.1. If you are going to spend an extra $30,000 on just the engine then get an SL55 and upgrade the cosmetics over time. The SL55 gives you 485 bhp. Once you get up over $100,000 your options with other vehicles become much more broad than the SLK - both for MB and other makes. BRABUS is so expensive that you can easily make foolish decisions that are not cost conscious or efficient. But, then again, that is what kind of makes it fun. Americans love to over-consume.

I think that Kleemann is a great tuner. But BRABUS is just so classy. You really can't go wrong with either. I totally agree that it depends on what your goals are with your car. Some of us want a few tweaks and enhancements to make our SLK a little different without making it into a racecar. I still think of my SLK as a "luxury car." Not a racecar.

I would respect your opinion more if you backed it up with some facts. Check out Shinigami's posts - he/she (sorry, I don't know which ) backs up everything with facts and solid argument. Everyone should try to do the same.

That is my take.

Last edited by Beleriand; 03-17-2006 at 01:54 AM.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
Originally Posted by Beleriand
Specify exactly what is wrong with his information. It all sounds correct to me and very well thought-out. His opinion doesn't qualify as "information." You can disagree with him but make an argument - don't just say he is wrong and abandon the fight. I would like to hear where you think he is misinformed. He is absolutely correct regarding the BRABUS options and his opinion is that the 6.1 engine displacement is the best route. How is that "misinformation"? I have nearly every BRABUS upgrade worth getting on the SLK55 from BRABUS except for the 6.1. I have first-hand experience with their sales staff, shop and merchandise. Certainly, BRABUS isn't perfect but his "information" regarding the different options is spot-on. Even Kleemann will tell you that the kompressor stresses the components. Now, the SLK55 can take a lot of stress - I'm not saying the engine is going to blow - but it certainly puts more stress on the engine than leaving it naturally aspirated. That is a simple and well-known fact. Don't get me wrong - Kleemann is cool. But you have to accept that they are going to use bolt-on modifications that are going to produce more engine stress.

Personally, I don't see getting the BRABUS 6.1. If you are going to spend an extra $30,000 on just the engine then get an SL55 and upgrade the cosmetics over time. The SL55 gives you 485 bhp. Once you get up over $100,000 your options with other vehicles become much more broad than the SLK - both for MB and other makes. BRABUS is so expensive that you can easily make foolish decisions that are not cost conscious or efficient. But, then again, that is what kind of makes it fun. Americans love to over-consume.

I think that Kleemann is a great tuner. But BRABUS is just so classy. You really can't go wrong with either. I totally agree that it depends on what your goals are with your car. Some of us want a few tweaks and enhancements to make our SLK a little different without making it into a racecar. I still think of my SLK as a "luxury car." Not a racecar.

I would respect your opinion more if you backed it up with some facts. Check out Shinigami's posts - he/she (sorry, I don't know which ) backs up everything with facts and solid argument. Everyone should try to do the same.

That is my take.
I am with you with the "brabus is just so classy" Well said!
Old 03-17-2006, 04:04 AM

SLK 55 AMG
I think the "misinformation" part was directed at the comment about how Brabus makes the 6.1 liter engines.

According to my Brabus price list, the 6.1 liter engine for the SLK 55 is a "bore out", i.e. they take the existing engine, and then carve out the cylinder walls to make the space larger. Then they replace the cylinders with the right size ones.

The rest of the engine is still pretty much the same thing. Maybe they change the valves, the springs, the camshafts and so on, but it's not a strictly "new" engine.

I do believe the rebuilder of the engine adds his own stamp on the finished work.

I'm a guy btw
Old 03-17-2006, 05:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
..........one company uses superchargers, the other company uses displacement. There are no big mysteries in car tunning that only one company knows and the other is totally oblivious to. Each company simply cooses its own strategy. Why we don't understand this and keep debating this is amusing.

Ted
Old 03-18-2006, 04:46 AM

S550
Still never the less it is still better to have a N/A engine then supercharged. Brabus 6.1 litre is not worth getting, it just simply cost way to much. Unless you are a hard core brabus fan. I personally have not driven a brabus 6.1

I have driven a E500 with brabus b11 kit on it, a G55K with K8 on it I think they do deliver what they say. never the less to each of their own. Some like this better some like that better ya know LOL.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by NY_SG
Still never the less it is still better to have a N/A engine then supercharged. Brabus 6.1 litre is not worth getting, it just simply cost way to much. Unless you are a hard core brabus fan. I personally have not driven a brabus 6.1

I have driven a E500 with brabus b11 kit on it, a G55K with K8 on it I think they do deliver what they say. never the less to each of their own. Some like this better some like that better ya know LOL.
Why is it better to have a N/A car versus a supercharged car? This make no sense. The Kleemann supercharger makes 0.5 bar which is very low (safe) boost for the compression ratio of the SLK55 engine. Are there some risks? Sure there are, anytime you modify a car you're taking a risk. The Brabus 6.1L starts life as a 5.5L and is bored and stroked from 5.5L to 6.1L. How is this any safer than using a low boost supercharger?

There are many ways to increase a cars power output: Supercharge, turbocharge, stroker engine, higher compression, nitrous, etc. All options will produce more power than stock and they all carry some risk. In my opinion, your risk is very low when choosing proven tuners such as Brabus or Kleemann. I just find Brabus to be overpriced for the performance gains as compared to Kleemann.

If I were to modify my SLK55 I'd use a Kleemann supercharger. I would also have Kleemann drop in the pistons from an E55 to lower the compression ratio of the N/A 55 engine found in the SLK55. Then I would crank up the boost beyond 0.5 bar and have a very reliable and fast SLK.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by alroumi
I am with you with the "brabus is just so classy" Well said!
If you're into the "bling" otherwise known as class, just throw on some Brabus wheels and a Brabus body kit. Leave the engine stock.

If you want performance go with Kleemann. The Kleemann supercharged 5.5L will outperform a Brabus 6.1L by a significant margin. It all depends on your goals.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by G55K
If you're into the "bling" otherwise known as class, just throw on some Brabus wheels and a Brabus body kit. Leave the engine stock.

If you want performance go with Kleemann. The Kleemann supercharged 5.5L will outperform a Brabus 6.1L by a significant margin. It all depends on your goals.
There is no doubt that the Kleemann supercharged 5.5L will give you more Hp than any BRBAUS option. But BRABUS offers a lot more than "bling." Check out this post:

https://mbworld.org/forums/slk55-r171/141141-brabus-b55.html

That is my BRABUS B55. It only has an additinal 40 hp and trq but it feels like a brand new car. I think it looks classy and not "bling." Also, when you bring an SLK55 to BRABUS, they don't offer a lot of body work because the AMG stuff is already really nice. I mean, they would do it if you asked but they don't push it.

I agree that there are risks with any modifications. Why else would both Kleemann and BRABUS start only warranting their stuff for one-year. They must have been getting burned on the long-term warranties. All of us with the ***** to get mods are really asking for big expenses down the road. It is a trade off no matter who you go with.

But it is damn fun ain't it.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
There is no doubt that the Kleemann supercharged 5.5L will give you more Hp than any BRBAUS option. But BRABUS offers a lot more than "bling." Check out this post:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=141141

That is my BRABUS B55. It only has an additinal 40 hp and trq but it feels like a brand new car. I think it looks classy and not "bling." Also, when you bring an SLK55 to BRABUS, they don't offer a lot of body work because the AMG stuff is already really nice. I mean, they would do it if you asked but they don't push it.

I agree that there are risks with any modifications. Why else would both Kleemann and BRABUS start only warranting their stuff for one-year. They must have been getting burned on the long-term warranties. All of us with the ***** to get mods are really asking for big expenses down the road. It is a trade off no matter who you go with.

.................I am sorry, but this is too funny. You got an additional 40HP and all as a result, Brabus is king. You have a beautiful car. So do others. There is nothing in your car that is a big secret that another tuner cannot do. The trinklets you have on your car can be purchased by any one. It might make you feel better to think there is some big seceret that brabus has blessed your car with, but at the end, you simply paid a lot of money for 40HP. A Kleemann s/ced SLK 55 will leave your car behind. If you say you don't care about speed, why did you buy an SLK 55 and why then did you border to add an additional 40Hp to an already ridiculously fast car? You could have simply added the trinklets to your car and it will look the same. Likewise, if you own a Kleemann supercharged SLK 55, don't start yelling about Kleemann, there will be no big secret in your car that brabus cannot do if they chose to. This is why all this debate is funny. One simply makes choices as to which tuner to go with and each tuner simply makes choices as to which stretegy to choose to generate HP. HP is HP whether from brabus, or Kleemann or nitrous. You simply pick your poison and live with the benefits and the consequences.

Ted
Old 03-18-2006, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
.................I am sorry, but this is too funny. You got an additional 40HP and all as a result, Brabus is king. You have a beautiful car. So do others. There is nothing in your car that is a big secret that another tuner cannot do. The trinklets you have on your car can be purchased by any one. It might make you feel better to think there is some big seceret that brabus has blessed your car with, but at the end, you simply paid a lot of money for 40HP. A Kleemann s/ced SLK 55 will leave your car behind. If you say you don't care about speed, why did you buy an SLK 55 and why then did you border to add an additional 40Hp to an already ridiculously fast car? You could have simply added the trinklets to your car and it will look the same. Likewise, if you own a Kleemann supercharged SLK 55, don't start yelling about Kleemann, there will be no big secret in your car that brabus cannot do if they chose to. This is why all this debate is funny. One simply makes choices as to which tuner to go with and each tuner simply makes choices as to which stretegy to choose to generate HP. HP is HP whether from brabus, or Kleemann or nitrous. You simply pick your poison and live with the benefits and the consequences.

Ted
Wow. You sound bitter against BRABUS. By the way, what do you drive? What is your first-hand experience with a tuner? I noticed that you don't post what you drive? I am not saying you don't drive a fine car and that you don't have experience, but cite that instead of baseless attacks. Your first-hand knowledge is a powerful argument - your hollow and mindless BRABUS bashing just sounds like sour-grapes. Insult is never and argument.

The simple answer to your question of "why" did I go to BRABUS is because I decided what my goals were, did my homework, and - in the end - because I felt like it. I never said that BRABUS has any special secrets. I went to three shops that install Kleemann parts - all referred to me by Kleemann HQ. I spent hours in those shops negotiating and talking about my options. All three were absolute hole-in-the-wall grease pits that I wouldn't leave my SLK55 in if the work were free - no matter what the performance gains. There are so many considerations other than price in this equation. The proof is in the pudding - I own a BRABUS B55 and I love it. I have never ONCE bad-mouthed Kleemann or any other tuner. I went to BRABUS because they are classy, offer top of the line stuff and are a local company for me. They treated me well and just look at my car - you can't argue with results.

You keep making the argument that you just simply have to choose your strategy when attempting to gain Hp - kompressor vs. NA. Well, I made that choice. But you still seem to have some kind of insecure problem with that. Is it because you couldn't afford BRABUS or could afford it but aren't willing to pay for it? I can respect that. But tell us WHY you don't want to pay for BRABUS; what problem do you have with BRBAUS beyond price. If price is the only basis for your decision then you should be driving a Prius or a Ford Focus. The only thing anyone ever complains about when talking about BRABUS is price. But once you have spent up and towards $100K on a car it becomes clear that price and value are quite relative to us all. It may come hard to some, but there are many of us out here to which price is really no object. I wanted some nice modifications. I did my homework - read several books and magazines, posted over 200 times on this and other forums, talked to many technicians and salesmen. I visited a half-dozen shops. After becoming educated on the subject and surveying my options, I chose BRABUS. You make it sound like I made a snap decision to spend $25K at BRABUS or that BRABUS put me under some kind of spell. Or maybe you just think I am weak-minded enough to drop that kind of money based solely on what people say in these forums. Nothing could be further from the truth. I made an educated decision with all the facts necessary to do so. Also, I got a lot more than 40 Hp. I got many of the little things that makes BRABUS so great. Look at my previous posts for a complete list - over 10 different cosmetic upgrades ("trinkets" as you called them). Frivolous - yes. And I loved every minute of it. So sue me.

You insinuate - although I never said anything like it - that I don't care about speed. I care a lot about speed. I just don't want to supercharge the engine. I did the absolutly most effective engine tuning to gain Hp without adding a kompressor - camshafts, valve springs and combustion ratio adjustment. What else would you suggest for gaining Hp without adding a supercharger? Better yet, what have you actually done in the real world to modify your own vehicle? That kind of banter is useful to us all. Let's hear it.

Once again, you sound very bitter and a bit jealous. I know that isn't going to go over well with you but it is true. You keep saying that I think BRABUS worked some "secret" on my car. Actually, everything BRABUS did was very simple - simple but quite effective.

Put down the sword and try to make some sense. Stop putting words in my mouth and let's hear about your PERSONAL experiences with these tuners. You do have some . . . . right? The last thing I want is a fight with you. Let's talk like gentlemen and debate the issue.

Last edited by Beleriand; 03-18-2006 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:32 PM

S550
Wow this is turning into a fight. HEHE but anyways! Beleriand <= is the king! I SUPPORT YOU AND YOUR SLK! LOOKS TIGHT MAN. Who do you deal with over at brabus? I believe my friend always look for a guy name andreas or something like that.

C55 ( full on renntech ) I had it before my E55. Every single thing they offer for c55 for N/A. I didn't want to put a supercharger onto the car. It doesnt full any quicker. I even did headers, cams ecu, filter whatever renntech has for C55 amg. So disappointed I sold it last year for like 45k only. BLEH.

I wanted to sell the E55 for the new s550 brabus. But i decided to keep it much better E55 then s550. So now I drive a Bone stock E55 with OZ rims. And once again my gf just had to destroy the rims scratched it on a curb usual ****.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by NY_SG
Wow this is turning into a fight. HEHE but anyways! Beleriand <= is the king! I SUPPORT YOU AND YOUR SLK! LOOKS TIGHT MAN. Who do you deal with over at brabus? I believe my friend always look for a guy name andreas or something like that.

C55 ( full on renntech ) I had it before my E55. Every single thing they offer for c55 for N/A. I didn't want to put a supercharger onto the car. It doesnt full any quicker. I even did headers, cams ecu, filter whatever renntech has for C55 amg. So disappointed I sold it last year for like 45k only. BLEH.

I wanted to sell the E55 for the new s550 brabus. But i decided to keep it much better E55 then s550. So now I drive a Bone stock E55 with OZ rims. And once again my gf just had to destroy the rims scratched it on a curb usual ****.
Thanks. But I don't want a fight. I just want intelligent debate.

I dealt with Matt at BRABUS. I know Andreas well. Andreas is very experienced. Matt is newer to the BRABUS scene but he is a car enthusiast and gets as excited about your car as you do. Either guy is great but I dealt with Matt and have to give him his props - THANKS MATT!
Old 03-18-2006, 05:25 PM

05 sl600, 06 CLS55 AMG, 1971 Cuda
With the Kleemann you get a lot of power. I have had the super charger in my car for 4 years and I use my car as a daily driver, the only problem is who installs it for you, very important to pick the right installer.

Last edited by SLVRBLT43K; 03-19-2006 at 03:15 AM.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:47 PM

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=141141

Don't get me wrong, I think Brabus makes some great stuff. I'm just more into performance than wheels and body kits so I like the Kleemann mods for my money. Also, you have a very nice car.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:53 PM

Wow. You sound bitter against BRABUS. By the way, what do you drive? What is your first-hand experience with a tuner? I noticed that you don't post what you drive? I am not saying you don't drive a fine car and that you don't have experience, but cite that instead of baseless attacks. Your first-hand knowledge is a powerful argument - your hollow and mindless BRABUS bashing just sounds like sour-grapes. Insult is never and argument.

The simple answer to your question of "why" did I go to BRABUS is because I decided what my goals were, did my homework, and - in the end - because I felt like it. I never said that BRABUS has any special secrets. I went to three shops that install Kleemann parts - all referred to me by Kleemann HQ. I spent hours in those shops negotiating and talking about my options. All three were absolute hole-in-the-wall grease pits that I wouldn't leave my SLK55 in if the work were free - no matter what the performance gains. There are so many considerations other than price in this equation. The proof is in the pudding - I own a BRABUS B55 and I love it. I have never ONCE bad-mouthed Kleemann or any other tuner. I went to BRABUS because they are classy, offer top of the line stuff and are a local company for me. They treated me well and just look at my car - you can't argue with results.

You keep making the argument that you just simply have to choose your strategy when attempting to gain Hp - kompressor vs. NA. Well, I made that choice. But you still seem to have some kind of insecure problem with that. Is it because you couldn't afford BRABUS or could afford it but aren't willing to pay for it? I can respect that. But tell us WHY you don't want to pay for BRABUS; what problem do you have with BRBAUS beyond price. If price is the only basis for your decision then you should be driving a Prius or a Ford Focus. The only thing anyone ever complains about when talking about BRABUS is price. But once you have spent up and towards $100K on a car it becomes clear that price and value are quite relative to us all. It may come hard to some, but there are many of us out here to which price is really no object. I wanted some nice modifications. I did my homework - read several books and magazines, posted over 200 times on this and other forums, talked to many technicians and salesmen. I visited a half-dozen shops. After becoming educated on the subject and surveying my options, I chose BRABUS. You make it sound like I made a snap decision to spend $25K at BRABUS or that BRABUS put me under some kind of spell. Or maybe you just think I am weak-minded enough to drop that kind of money based solely on what people say in these forums. Nothing could be further from the truth. I made an educated decision with all the facts necessary to do so. Also, I got a lot more than 40 Hp. I got many of the little things that makes BRABUS so great. Look at my previous posts for a complete list - over 10 different cosmetic upgrades ("trinkets" as you called them). Frivolous - yes. And I loved every minute of it. So sue me.

You insinuate - although I never said anything like it - that I don't care about speed. I care a lot about speed. I just don't want to supercharge the engine. I did the absolutly most effective engine tuning to gain Hp without adding a kompressor - camshafts, valve springs and combustion ratio adjustment. What else would you suggest for gaining Hp without adding a supercharger? Better yet, what have you actually done in the real world to modify your own vehicle? That kind of banter is useful to us all. Let's hear it.

Once again, you sound very bitter and a bit jealous. I know that isn't going to go over well with you but it is true. You keep saying that I think BRABUS worked some "secret" on my car. Actually, everything BRABUS did was very simple - simple but quite effective.

Put down the sword and try to make some sense. Stop putting words in my mouth and let's hear about your PERSONAL experiences with these tuners. You do have some . . . . right? The last thing I want is a fight with you. Let's talk like gentlemen and debate the issue.
Ted's owned several tuner cars so he does have a lot of experience. So have I, so I can speak from experience. I don't think anyone is bashing Brabus as they do make high quality stuff. They're just extremely overpriced IMO.

Last edited by G55K; 03-18-2006 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce

...........This funny. You have no idea who you are talking to. I think point is well made. I think it is stupid to "hero worship" one company...........be it Kleemann or Brabus or ford. But feel free to do so.

Ted
Old 03-18-2006, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
...........This funny. You have no idea who you are talking to. I think point is well made. I think it is stupid to "hero worship" one company...........be it Kleemann or Brabus or ford. But feel free to do so.

Ted
Hey, I'm too damn old and jaded to engage in "hero worship" for anyone or anything. You wouldn't meet anyone else on this planet more grounded in reality than me. I have seen the best and worst this world has to offer - and nobody's perfect. I have never denied that BRABUS is pricey. I just pointed out that, to some, getting the lowest price isn't everything.

I never said "BRABUS is king." In fact, if you look over my posts, I have been very realistic as to where BRABUS can improve its operation. I have also never said anything negative about Kleemann or any other tuner. I am a bit confused where you got that idea from. I am just saying that, overall, I am pleased with what I got from BRABUS - warts and all. Give me a break and let me enjoy it - at least until my warranty runs out.

I don't want to fight. I respect your opinion. Let's just leave it at that.

Take care.

Last edited by Beleriand; 03-18-2006 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:32 AM

Too many to list
THe Brabus stuff seems like a complete waste of money for the results.

BTW, i do have little experience with modded cars (see below) and I do all the work myself.

IMO, the only performanbce mod I would ever want in this car is the Kleeman LSD.

If I was to do any more mods, the only one with any significant bang for the buck would be a KLEEMAN ECU and Kompressor. I'd like to see more info on this with regards how they dial in the Air/fuel ratios with the ECU mods before I would consider it.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by trompazo
THe Brabus stuff seems like a complete waste of money for the results.
To each his own. But I can tell you that my experience has been exactly the opposite. The results have been incredible. This feels like a new car. I am getting 0-60 in the 3.9 - 4.0 range. I have a lot more power in higher gears. When I am in 5th or even 6th gear and I hit the accelerator, it snaps into action. Before, it would accelerate but just slowly through the higher RPMs. Now it reaches the higher RPMs just as fast in 5th or 6th as in 3rd. It is hard to explain in words. You have to feel it. it will convince you.

I respect your opinion. And let me tell you, if this BRABUS modification had sucked or if I had not gotten my money's worth, I would be the first in line to scream about it. IMHO the car looks great, driver awesome and feels like a million dollars. Others may disagree. But I would wager that if you had just one chance to drive it, you would change your mind.

In the end - and this is the most important point - for my money I got a car that is nearly one-of-a-kind. BRABUS NA has only done 4 other kits that resemble mine. It is that uniqueness, that originality that I was paying for. You absolutely could get the same originality from Kleemann or other tuners. BRABUS certainly doesn't have a monopoly on originality. But for my money, I wanted something out of the ordinary. That is why we modify our cars. I feel like I got that from BRABUS. Bottom line.

But, once again, I realize that everyone has their own opinions and I respect that. I hope everyone finds what they are looking for.

Take care.

Last edited by Beleriand; 03-19-2006 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:19 PM

S550
Oh lord, this is funny lol. Anyways you for sure don't get much from brabus for the money you spend. You get alot more from other tuners hehe.

Everyone likes different stuff. Some like amg some like M see so whatever floats your boat alright. For me it's brabus! The new kits from kleeman ARE WICKED THOUGH! alittle over extreme but still kwel!
Old 03-20-2006, 09:52 AM

Too many to list
To each his own. But I can tell you that my experience has been exactly the opposite. The results have been incredible. This feels like a new car. I am getting 0-60 in the 3.9 - 4.0 range. I have a lot more power in higher gears. When I am in 5th or even 6th gear and I hit the accelerator, it snaps into action. Before, it would accelerate but just slowly through the higher RPMs. Now it reaches the higher RPMs just as fast in 5th or 6th as in 3rd. It is hard to explain in words. You have to feel it. it will convince you.
Im not saying the quality is bad, but for the cost, the dollar/hp increase is very bad compared to other cars.

Not sure how you are measuring your 0-60 times (what equipment are you using?) but I bet I could could similar results by using a Kleeman LSD, my lightweight 18 pounds wheels, and some R compound 285/30-18 tires. My investment would be 1/5 and likely result in a faster car.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by trompazo
Im not saying the quality is bad, but for the cost, the dollar/hp increase is very bad compared to other cars.

Not sure how you are measuring your 0-60 times (what equipment are you using?) but I bet I could could similar results by using a Kleeman LSD, my lightweight 18 pounds wheels, and some R compound 285/30-18 tires. My investment would be 1/5 and likely result in a faster car.
Maybe, but that's only because you live in Canada.

Look, we can debate this all day long. The bottom line is that I am very happy with my car as done by BRABUS. I have absolutely nothing negative or positive to say about Kleemann or any other tuner - I simply have no first-hand experience with their completed product. I know that their presentation is nowhere near BRABUS'. That matters to some of us. I would take a clean looking professional shop over a grease-monkey pit worse than Fonzi's on Happy Days anytime.

I never wanted to turn this into a "racing" car. I wanted to keep it a "luxury" car - a mature look - while getting some performance gains. As many have noted, this is a ridiculously fast car anyway - adding 40 hp on top of that only enhances the fun. How could I possibly be anything but thrilled - regardless of price? The funniest part is that I keep telling you guys that I really don't give a damn how much it cost. You guys keep coming back with "it's too expensive." Getting the lowest price doesn't always mean you are getting the best deal. I should have just bought the damn Ferrari.

I give up.

Last edited by Beleriand; 03-20-2006 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:36 PM

SLK55
Maybe, but that's only because you live in Canada.

I would take a clean looking professional shop over a grease-monkey pit worse than Fonzi's on Happy Days anytime.
Also the fact that you live 15minutes away from the North American headquarters makes it a no brainer!
There's no question that you will have quality work.

Old 03-20-2006, 08:40 PM

Shelby Cobra 289, Boss 302, TransAm
Look, we can debate this all day long. The bottom line is that I am very happy with my car as done by BRABUS. How could I possibly be anything but thrilled - regardless of price? The funniest part is that I keep telling you guys that I really don't give a damn how much it cost. You guys keep coming back with "it's too expensive." Getting the lowest price doesn't always mean you are getting the best deal. I give up.
Don't throw in the towel yet, Beleriand. Of course quality matters. And name and presentation are an intrinsic component of what we perceive as quality, as you've pointed out. So is pride of ownership, how your car looks and makes you feel. Knowing that a modern-day Timex will keep time just as well as a Rolex, would anyone trade a Rolex for a Timex?

This fall, I hope to take delivery of not only an SLK55 AMG, but a Ford GT. Why not buy a new Shelby GT500 Mustang instead of the GT? Same basic engine, same brand, only a fourth the cost. For that matter, why not opt for the Mustang in place of the SLK? At 475 hp, the GT500 will blow the doors of the Merc.

Frankly, the question never occured to me. Still doesn't!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brabus vs Kleemann on SLK55