SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Misc. Cap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misc. Cap

I changed my air filter today to the K&N filters, but during the process I dropped the circled part (in the picture) into the left side of the engine bay. I tried driving my car around to hopefully force it out, but it's still in there somewhere.

Do you guys think it'll eventually roll out while driving? Also, how important do you guys think that cap is?
Attached Thumbnails Misc. Cap-airfilter17.jpg  
Old 03-18-2006, 04:30 AM

AMG
its better to have a cap.. and being important or no , iam not sure of that, by th way, hows the new K & N filters? do you feel any gain " butt dyno "

is there a big difference in sound?
Old 03-18-2006, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by AMG&AMG
its better to have a cap.. and being important or no , iam not sure of that, by th way, hows the new K & N filters? do you feel any gain " butt dyno "

is there a big difference in sound?
Yeah, I'm gonna go to the dealer today and say they never put the cap back on after the last service which was 2 weeks ago.

IMHO, when I started my car after installing the new filters, there was a much louder roar from the engine. You'll definitely notice some difference in sound...I'm not too sure about the gain, though. I'll try driving it around the city later today. If anything, it's only going to be marginally different.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:15 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
When I looked at that red cap before, I thought it was the top of where an Oil Dipstick would be, if we had a dipstick.

so, yes, (without regard to whether it is that or not), you should not leave it open to get dirt/dust/contaminents into it.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:35 AM

Too many to list
I'd put my money on a 0hp gain from K&N filters. They are fine quality, though, and I run them on many cars.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:14 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Yup, it could be a bad thing if the cap is loose. It's the oil dipstick hole, and oil can get contaminated or fly out...
Old 03-19-2006, 06:29 PM

Received 243 Likes on 155 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
Originally Posted by Shinigami
Yup, it could be a bad thing if the cap is loose. It's the oil dipstick hole, and oil can get contaminated or fly out...
Yes -- and also, this tube likely provides a path for excess air to enter the engine, causing the fuel injection computer and the fuel mixture to be erroneous. On a BMW, if the oil dipstick is missing or loose, the "Check Engine" light will probably come on and a lean mixture will result. I'm surprised that your light has not come on -- I'd check for malfunction messages on the display.

Find something to plug it with until you can recover the original cap or obtain a new one. (But don't let anything get sucked down the tube into the oil pan -- $$$$)
Old 03-19-2006, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by slk55er
Yes -- and also, this tube likely provides a path for excess air to enter the engine, causing the fuel injection computer and the fuel mixture to be erroneous. On a BMW, if the oil dipstick is missing or loose, the "Check Engine" light will probably come on and a lean mixture will result. I'm surprised that your light has not come on -- I'd check for malfunction messages on the display.

Find something to plug it with until you can recover the original cap or obtain a new one. (But don't let anything get sucked down the tube into the oil pan -- $$$$)
Ok, now I'm a little scared. How will I know if something has fallen in or if the oil is contaminated? I just plugged the hole with a thick roll of paper towel for the time being. Hopefully it'll be ok until I can get another cap tomorrow since I didn't have time the other day.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:37 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Paper towel may rip and paper filaments (the microscopic tubes of paper mesh) will most likely fall in. I would have taken a clean plastic bottle top and attached it around the hole with some heat resistant tape...

Just go to your dealer ASAP, don't drive your car a lot, and it should be ok. Personally, I would ask to change the oil entirely just to be on the safe side.

With a little luck, no long term damage was done.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:59 PM

Paper towel may rip and paper filaments (the microscopic tubes of paper mesh) will most likely fall in. I would have taken a clean plastic bottle top and attached it around the hole with some heat resistant tape...

Just go to your dealer ASAP, don't drive your car a lot, and it should be ok. Personally, I would ask to change the oil entirely just to be on the safe side.

With a little luck, no long term damage was done.
Are you guys sure this is where the engine oil is located? I heard that it's not for the engine oil, but for something else. Hmmm.....
Old 03-20-2006, 04:10 PM

SLK 55 AMG
Several people have already measure the oil level from that hole.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:04 PM

Received 243 Likes on 155 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
Several people have already measure the oil level from that hole.
Yes, here is the link to my post on making an oil dipstick from a coat hanger.

SLK55 Oil Dipstick
Old 06-14-2006, 12:47 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Damn, I just looked under my hood while checking the battery. I know I had the cap in place, but now it's not there?! What the heck? Where did it go?

Jbrhee, did you ever find yours? Did you get a new one? Do you have the model number so that I can order one?

TIA,

Dan