Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 11:24 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 SLK55, 04 SL55
Electrical Problems

Hi I am looking for some assistance with some electrical problems my car has been experiencing any help will be greatly appreciated
The problems started a few months ago with the car all of a sudden lowering the passenger window turning on the interior lights and then shouting at me cause the door was open it was however properly closed and if I opened and then closed the door the problem went away, then the traction control would activate for no reason whatsoever I could be doing a constant 60mph on a straight and dry road with no potholes and the TC would bring the car to a halt very violently about the same time my COMAND would reboot its self whenever it felt the need and would take over a minute to change a CD track these problems still continue.
Now yesterday again on a straight level and very flat road the car tells me its out of oil and to stop when I pulled into my office car park I checked for any oil leaking and found nothing so I left it for 30 mins and then used the press R 3 times trick to check the exact oil amount and it said 15.5L but the tank is not that big so I left it again for half an hour and tried again and it said 7.4L that seems like the correct reading to me however my headlights have decided that they are not needed and refuse to function and the windows will not fully close, does this sound like a computer fault to you guys as I plan on having the dealer recode every single module in the car to the latest software versions before I will accept it back.
Sorry about the long post and thanks in advance for any help
Dan
Old 03-27-2006, 06:29 PM

2006 SLK55 AMG/// 2006 Porsche CaymanS 2010 135i
Originally Posted by DansSlk
Hi I am looking for some assistance with some electrical problems my car has been experiencing any help will be greatly appreciated
The problems started a few months ago with the car all of a sudden lowering the passenger window turning on the interior lights and then shouting at me cause the door was open it was however properly closed and if I opened and then closed the door the problem went away, then the traction control would activate for no reason whatsoever I could be doing a constant 60mph on a straight and dry road with no potholes and the TC would bring the car to a halt very violently about the same time my COMAND would reboot its self whenever it felt the need and would take over a minute to change a CD track these problems still continue.
Now yesterday again on a straight level and very flat road the car tells me its out of oil and to stop when I pulled into my office car park I checked for any oil leaking and found nothing so I left it for 30 mins and then used the press R 3 times trick to check the exact oil amount and it said 15.5L but the tank is not that big so I left it again for half an hour and tried again and it said 7.4L that seems like the correct reading to me however my headlights have decided that they are not needed and refuse to function and the windows will not fully close, does this sound like a computer fault to you guys as I plan on having the dealer recode every single module in the car to the latest software versions before I will accept it back.
Sorry about the long post and thanks in advance for any help
Dan
Your car sounds possessed! With that many electrical malfunctions the only thing I can suggest is go to the dealer and have them check it out. Sounds like a control module gone crazy??!! The odd thing is that most if not all of your electrical systems are screwed up.

You may want to look into the All data listings to see if there is any similar problems listed, unfortunatley the data base is not easily searchable (at least I do not know how to do it)

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Mercedes-...ndex-post.html

In any case good luck with the problem, let us know what the diagnosis is.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:41 PM
Almost a Member!

05 SLK55, 04 SL55
Thanks i have just been out to the car and the key fob opens the car the inside lights come on and most of the outside lights however the cluster and all other electrics inside the car are dead my engine bay fuse box is now a swimming pool so i think i have found the cause of the problems. Am i correct in saying that the computer in there is the ECU?
Thanks Dan
Old 03-28-2006, 01:29 AM

SLK55 AMG, BMW X5 3.0d Sport
Dan. Take the car to your dealer, why are you messing around with this. If you prefer have them pick it up.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:46 AM
Almost a Member!

05 SLK55, 04 SL55
I do not plan on messing with the car myself this sort of thing is out of my league but what worries me is that the water in the fuse box issue has been addressed once already and it has happened again so i had a mech friend of mine plug the car into star and nothing totally dead he said the ecu is most prob ruined and my dealer would most prob consider writing the car off and to be honest if the electrics are all dead thats what i want them to do
Old 04-04-2006, 03:02 PM

I do not plan on messing with the car myself this sort of thing is out of my league but what worries me is that the water in the fuse box issue has been addressed once already and it has happened again so i had a mech friend of mine plug the car into star and nothing totally dead he said the ecu is most prob ruined and my dealer would most prob consider writing the car off and to be honest if the electrics are all dead thats what i want them to do

You have water in your fuse box??? Which fuse box has water in it? Also is this from rain, washing the car or something else?? I have not heard of any other members with this problem.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:22 AM
Almost a Member!

05 SLK55, 04 SL55
The water was in the engine bay fuse box and its just rain water running down one of the plastic tubes and into the box because the lid was not closed correctly by the dealer when they where replacing fuses it destroyed everything in that box ecu included and very badly damaged most of the other electrics because of shorts and what not i have got a new car on the way also i asked them about the fact that there should be nine speakers in the non HK system one just below each mounting point for the seat belts they agreed but when they removed the trim to look the wires where there but the speakers and not be installed from the factory so they will be checking the new car when it arrives to make sure its ok i love the slk and all mercs for that matter but you just gotta laugh sometimes!
Old 04-09-2006, 05:15 PM

The water was in the engine bay fuse box and its just rain water running down one of the plastic tubes and into the box because the lid was not closed correctly by the dealer when they where replacing fuses it destroyed everything in that box ecu included and very badly damaged most of the other electrics because of shorts and what not i have got a new car on the way also i asked them about the fact that there should be nine speakers in the non HK system one just below each mounting point for the seat belts they agreed but when they removed the trim to look the wires where there but the speakers and not be installed from the factory so they will be checking the new car when it arrives to make sure its ok i love the slk and all mercs for that matter but you just gotta laugh sometimes!
There is not 9 speakers in the NON HK equipped car.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:04 AM
Almost a Member!

05 SLK55, 04 SL55
Hi i hate to disagree with you mate but there are one of the sales guys has an slk without HK and his car has 2 in the back the HK has another 2 in the middle storage thingy even my price list states that the COMAND system comes with 9 again sorry to disagree with you but its what i have seen with my own two eyes and so far they have served me correctly can i ask how you know there are not 2 in the back?
Old 04-10-2006, 03:19 PM

You're getting a new car out of this???? That's great to hear

When you receive the new one you may want to post the original car's VIN so when it comes up for sale used other member can stay away.

Best of luck with the new SLK!!!!
Old 04-10-2006, 03:27 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Hi i hate to disagree with you mate but there are one of the sales guys has an slk without HQ and his car has 2 in the back the HK has another 2 in the middle storage thing even my price list states that the COMMAND system comes with 9 again sorry to disagree with you but its what i have seen with my own two eyes and so far they have served me correctly can i ask how you know there are not 2 in the back?
Correct there are 9 in Audio 20, and 11 in HK Audio, for the US (and I believe everywhere).

The 2 additional are in the top of the upright console between the seats.

HOWEVER, the 9 "common" speakers are common locations only. They are different speakers (better) in the HK system then in the standard.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:03 PM

I don;t have command, just the regular audio 20, and there are no speakers behind the seat ? There are "grills" but no noise and no way of selecting a "fader" on the set.
I apologise if my answer may have been misleading but I was led to believe that only the HK had the speakers in the rear behind the seats
Old 04-11-2006, 06:46 AM
Almost a Member!

05 SLK55, 04 SL55
thanks for the replies
marktini i am very happy to be getting a new car its because me and the dealer agreed that the problems could return because of the damage caused and will be sure to post its VIN as soon as i find the paperwork.
From what i have been told bloflin is right on the money with his answer about the speakers so if you cant hear anything from the back of your car easy-slk i would ask the stealer about it,
the car they sat me in had the audio 20 and i could clearly hear sounds from the back of the car the set did not have a fader control and neither does the comand they said it was because they are small tweeters and not full blown rear speakers so it wasn't worth it and no need to apologise by the way.
I will post back when i get the new motor and i will find out just what is happening to mine.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
thanks for the replies
marktini i am very happy to be getting a new car its because me and the dealer agreed that the problems could return because of the damage caused and will be sure to post its VIN as soon as i find the paperwork.
From what i have been told bloflin is right on the money with his answer about the speakers so if you cant hear anything from the back of your car easy-slk i would ask the stealer about it,
the car they sat me in had the audio 20 and i could clearly hear sounds from the back of the car the set did not have a fader control and neither does the comand they said it was because they are small tweeters and not full blown rear speakers so it wasn't worth it and no need to apologise by the way.
I will post back when i get the new motor and i will find out just what is happening to mine.
It sounded like a front fuse box from the start. There is no serious damage from blowing it. You put a new one in and its perfect.

The windows open because the undervoltage condition of the front fuse box causes the windows to go down so you can get in after a battery failure.

The headlight problem and several other problems all relate to front fuse box.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:42 PM
Almost a Member!

05 SLK55, 04 SL55
That does not sound like my situation the all the components on the engine/gearbox and interior CAN buses (the ECU also had water come into contact with it directly) have been ruined and shorting of the power lines in the engine bay box caused damage the components connected to it the interior fuse box was damaged but the systems connected where ok unless as mentioned they where on the CAN bus the MOST components apart from the audio gateway are ok and it is being written off because it would be uneconomical to repair.

I have had a flat battery in the car before and the windows did not drop i had to use the emergency key to open the door then pop the bonnet and when this incident happened i was driving the car at the time and they dropped about 1/4 so i would not have been able to get in anyways also not great if you need to bail out and surely the doors would be a better solution to that problem anyway are they designed to drop fully in the event of a flat?

I think if the damage was contained to the box i think it was going to be repaired but they plugged in star and there was no response from the car so when they started digging around they found the whole problem you know what your on about and i don't i am just going on what they said to me so i hope this explanation is a bit clearer i look foreword to your reply as i am very interested in your thoughts on the problem?

Thanks

Dan