SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Ashtray removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SLK55 AMG/// 2006 Porsche CaymanS 2010 135i
Ashtray removal

I need to remove my ashtray and housing, I accidently got some change stuck behind the ashtray

Before I try and figure how to get it out I thought I'd see if anyone removed their ashtray?

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2006, 12:31 AM

2006 SLK 55
Smile How to remove the dirty, nasty ashtray

Originally Posted by Marktini
I need to remove my ashtray and housing, I accidently got some change stuck behind the ashtray

Before I try and figure how to get it out I thought I'd see if anyone removed their ashtray?

Thanks!
Quite simple. Step one, foot on brake, turn on ignition, shift into N, turn off the ignition. Sqeeze the gray plastic trim on each side of the gear shift trim to snap the leather boot up and over the gear shift lever. Similarly, snap next trim piece that contains the shift indicator lights. Then the larger piece of the center cosole that reaches from the emergency brake to insert under the ashtray just snaps out and can be gently lifted up and to the rear.

Then, use a small flat screwdriver to carefully pry out the rubber grommet on the left of the ashtray face plate. Use the flat screw driver to gently pry the cover off the lighter trim from the medial, left side. The lighter trim should pop off easily if you are prying in the right spot. Under the lighter trim. lies the right hand screw. Both of these screws are T-20 torque drive screws. Don't use a phillips, it might strip the screws. Unscrew those two screws and the ashtray should pull out enough to find the coins. The electrical wiring for the lighter wiil limit how far you can pull out the ashtray.

At this point, you simply reverse the steps to replace the dirty, nasty ashtray. Or if you have ordered the lower accessory tray that replaces the ashtray from Glauser M-B like I did, you pry off the wiring harness for the lighter and install the new tray in place of the ashtray. The new tray is much more functional for coins, small flashlight, breath freshener strips, etc. You lose the cigarette lighter but there is a 12 v accessory outlet a few inches away in the passenger footwell.

The whole thing can be done in 15 minutes. Don't force anything. If it doesn't come easily, adjust your direction of movement before you break something. Everything just snaps in and out easily once you try it. Good Luck.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:18 AM

SLK55 AMG, BMW X5 3.0d Sport
Originally Posted by reallife
steps to replace the dirty, nasty ashtray.
I guess you are a non smoker
Old 04-11-2006, 12:35 PM

Quite simple. Step one, foot on brake, turn on ignition, shift into N, turn off the ignition. Sqeeze the gray plastic trim on each side of the gear shift trim to snap the leather boot up and over the gear shift lever. Similarly, snap next trim piece that contains the shift indicator lights. Then the larger piece of the center cosole that reaches from the emergency brake to insert under the ashtray just snaps out and can be gently lifted up and to the rear.

Then, use a small flat screwdriver to carefully pry out the rubber grommet on the left of the ashtray face plate. Use the flat screw driver to gently pry the cover off the lighter trim from the medial, left side. The lighter trim should pop off easily if you are prying in the right spot. Under the lighter trim. lies the right hand screw. Both of these screws are T-20 torque drive screws. Don't use a phillips, it might strip the screws. Unscrew those two screws and the ashtray should pull out enough to find the coins. The electrical wiring for the lighter wiil limit how far you can pull out the ashtray.

At this point, you simply reverse the steps to replace the dirty, nasty ashtray. Or if you have ordered the lower accessory tray that replaces the ashtray from Glauser M-B like I did, you pry off the wiring harness for the lighter and install the new tray in place of the ashtray. The new tray is much more functional for coins, small flashlight, breath freshener strips, etc. You lose the cigarette lighter but there is a 12 v accessory outlet a few inches away in the passenger footwell.

The whole thing can be done in 15 minutes. Don't force anything. If it doesn't come easily, adjust your direction of movement before you break something. Everything just snaps in and out easily once you try it. Good Luck.
Reallife:

Thank you very much for the detailed instructions, I truly appreciate it!!!

Do you happen to have a part number for the larger tray? If I'm going to have to remove the ashtray I might want to replace it and the lighter since nobody will ever smoke in my car.

Thanks again!!!
Old 04-11-2006, 06:10 PM

2006 SLK 55
Smile PArt number for ashtray replacement

Originally Posted by Marktini
Reallife:

Thank you very much for the detailed instructions, I truly appreciate it!!!

Do you happen to have a part number for the larger tray? If I'm going to have to remove the ashtray I might want to replace it and the lighter since nobody will ever smoke in my car.

Thanks again!!!
Ordered mine from Glauser MB in Colorado. Part number was A171 680 0552. tokk a week or so. Price was about $90. I also replaced the cupholder with another storage container, PN A171 680 0052. It was $90 also. It is much easier to replace. Takes all of 60 seconds if you have a T20 torque screwdriver. In both cases the color code number was 9116.

Then I had to order an Ultimate cupholder for my wife.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:13 PM

2006 SLK 55
Non-smoker??

Originally Posted by Easy-SLK
I guess you are a non smoker
ROTFLMAO!!

Smokers are paying for my retirement, my cars, my house, and my kids out-of-state college tuition. BTW, I'm an anesthesiologist.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:32 PM

Ordered mine from Glauser MB in Colorado. Part number was A171 680 0552. tokk a week or so. Price was about $90. I also replaced the cupholder with another storage container, PN A171 680 0052. It was $90 also. It is much easier to replace. Takes all of 60 seconds if you have a T20 torque screwdriver. In both cases the color code number was 9116.

Then I had to order an Ultimate cupholder for my wife.

Once again I appreciate the responses!!! thanks!
Old 04-17-2006, 06:22 PM

I took the ashtray out to get out the change, the instructions were right on the money, and the process was very easy. My only comment is that anyone else trying this should be sure that the star/torx wrenches they use are long enough, there's not a lot of room to work in, and shorter wrenches will get caught up on the climate controls.
I think I may order the storage tray now that I know how easy the process is.

Last edited by Marktini; 04-17-2006 at 06:26 PM.