Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 11:59 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 slk55
What to do before the dyno?

Hey all,

I have a couple questions regarding a dyno. I want to get a baseline as I plan to make some engine mods in the future. But first, questions...

Will AM wheels that are heavier than the OE negatively affect the dyno numbers? Should I mount the OE wheels for the dyno run?

Also, besides putting the car in Dyno mode, are there any other precautions?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 05-05-2006, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by dsb
Hey all,

I have a couple questions regarding a dyno. I want to get a baseline as I plan to make some engine mods in the future. But first, questions...

Will AM wheels that are heavier than the OE negatively affect the dyno numbers? Should I mount the OE wheels for the dyno run?

Also, besides putting the car in Dyno mode, are there any other precautions?

Thanks,

Dan
Hi Dan.

No noticable impact of using lighter weight rims/tires on a dyno - just does not show up since the car is on a "roll" & the delta in this scenerio is likely within a few Hp. Less unsprung weight DOES provide a benefit, just a not noticable one on a roll/dyno. I know it seems counterintuitive, but that is what I have read on a few forums - like the Vette forum for example.

You should get between 295 - 305 rwhp baseline. Just make sure the car has access to good airflow via a strong fan & its preferabley cool weather (60 - 70s is optimal). A good 4th gear pull works well for the 7G. Post results if you get the chance. See ya!

-Matt