SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Thinking about buying a SLK55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Thinking about buying a SLK55

Hi guys.........

I am thinking about getting an SLK55 and want some opinions on what the car is like to live with.......usability, relaibility. I track my cars, so any input as to that would be great as well..............Thanks
Old 05-12-2006, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 55 AMG
Seeing as you have a nice lineup of cars, adding an SLK 55 AMG in there shouldn't be a problem for you, financially at least. Even go Kleemann if you want some serious power.

I think the general concensus is that the SLK 55 AMG is more reliable then the SL 55 AMG.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:16 AM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
it is very easy to live with. Pretty much close to your vantage in specs, with a drop top. 25 less HP, 60+ extra lbft of torque, front engine, rwd. Bit understeery at fast cornering (due to V8 lump), but the torque is enough to correct that and it feels pretty good when you do cause this car does deliver.

Definitely faster off the line than the M3......interior is sub par when compared to your SL (no ventilated seats, no keyless go, panaroma roof, trunk access button when the top is down.....all welcome options that are not available)

Suspension is a bit harsh at slow speeds and bumpy roads, but superb when you are giving it the stick.....

good luck

p.s> nice stable
Old 05-16-2006, 09:54 PM

c32
Nice stable of cars you got there....I love my slk55 but if i already had an sl55 I don't think adding the mini version would be necessary. Im sure the slk55 feels a little more nimble then the sl55 but weighs less but overall I think they are very similar cars. The reason I got the slk55 was because its a sexy hardtop convertible that goes really really fast, you already have in my opinion the nicest hardtop convertible roadster there is.

One advantage of the slk55 where I live is that it does turn a lot of heads, with so many sl500 around in big cities they hardly get noticed anymore. If i were you I would give it a test drive and see what you think, but there are a lot of other great cars out there too.

I recently added a 650ci bmw and man I love driving it. While its not as fast as the slk55, its no slouch and hit handles like a dream. Very driver orientated and gives you that feeling of connection with the road. You have an m3, im sure you know what I mean....either way good luck to you, at the price ranges your shopping what ever you choose im sure will be real nice.