Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 Red SLK350 & '01 Black ML320
Originally Posted by dsb
Can you? Have any pics?
Here's the SLR like hood/nose:
http://www.performanceproducts4benz....od+With+Grille
But if you want performance and/or handling.....
Even my SLK350 is faster and has better handling than the SL500
Attached Thumbnails Sl500 -----> Slk55-sl-cover.jpg  
Old 06-05-2006, 09:05 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What a trip. I didn't think it existed. Not sure if I like the look though.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:59 PM

'12 ML350
Originally Posted by blazinginder
i dont doubt any of you guys in what you're saying...just from i see and where i live in NJ...there are few SL's and more SLKs which makes the SL the cream of the crop around here...but i guess each area has their own differences
I'll have to disagree there...I too live in northern NJ but work in NYC. On the way home today in my SL500, I saw no less than 6 other R230 SLs during my 25 mile drive home!

For me, the number one reason to get a car is to drive it first, to be seen in it second. When I gave up the Boxster S and got the SL500 in Oct of '03 with the sports package, it was because I loved (and still love) the exterior aesthetics of the R230 and thought the SL feels very solid for an open top car. However, I am realizing that I don't like the weight and the weighty feel of the car...and while I thought about getting the SL55 to replace it to have the power overcome the weight issue, it's an inescapable fact that it's just a heavy car with less steering feedback. So it's going...

Interestingly, I thought about getting the SLK55 with the PP - especially after reading the very positive UK press reviews of the car, that it'd be a nice little road carver. And the lower curb weight, better power to weight ratio and the AMG Speedshift would conspire to make it a great little roadster and not out of depth on a road course if I decided to take it to instruct at a HPDE event and leave my M3 and the trailer at home.

Of course, now we have a 6 week old daughter and my wife misses going out in the 'fun' car since we have to take the LX 470 or the A8L when we go out as a family - so I'm going back to the Porsche camp and ordering a Carrera S coupe...with a Porsche child seat of course! But I'll wait until after the summer to trade the SL, enjoying one more summer with what is a great grand touring roadster...but it's not a sportscar, Colin Chapman wouldn't approve!
Old 06-05-2006, 11:46 PM

i dont doubt any of you guys in what you're saying...just from i see and where i live in NJ...there are few SL's and more SLKs which makes the SL the cream of the crop around here...but i guess each area has their own differences
That doesn't make it the cream of the crop, it makes NJ drivers look like they have discerning taste of a beautiful and "powerful" automobile. As Car and Driver, MT, Automobile, and etc... have had the same.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:38 AM

1990 560 SEC (modified), SLK55, CLK500
I just put my name down for an SLK55. I love the SL 500s styling, but after driving the SLK55, i just HAD to have it. no doubt the sl55 is more powerful, but it doesn't handle as well, and it costs more than double....

In the end, it's a decision between cruising and performance.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:54 PM

SLK 230
Very Interesting!

Hi,

Well I have to say I found this thread very interesting and i thought i would just add my two pennies worth in a logical and hopefully british way!

1. As with anything it all depends which car you feel is suitable for you - drive it and if you like it buy it - simply in my view. But what I don't understand is this constant argument of well SLs are more common then SLKs - people seem to think that is a bad thing - maybe people just have better taste or if something is really good of course lots of people are going to get it so surely that comment is an advert for how good the SL is. Fact of the matter is they are both nice cars but horses for courses. To be frank if you want a car that no-one else has then get a Noble or a TVR and then you will feel very unique - probably uniquely stupid as you think of the SL or the SLK you could have had!

2. This may be a little controversial - but has the SLK really shook off it's woman image? Now I know a lot of people may complain about this saying how macho they are with their SLK but in my experience I find that women tend to buy SLKs whereas men tend to generally buy SLs - again not saying that men don't buy SLKs or women don't buy SLs - but i was just speaking of my experience of noting drivers of cars as I drive past. Does the fact that women buy the SLK more make it a bad car - of course not and an AMG car can never be sniffed at in whatever format!

3. If you are that much into getting a fast roadster - wait for the folding tin roof MX-5 and then u'll really get the roadster feel! Or get a porsche cayman s which in my opinion is probably the best handling car in the market at the moment - sticks to roundabouts like hell!

4. Building on point 3. the future for the Merc SL and SLK range will be very interesting. Don't forget the big selling point of them was their folding roof but of course a lot of other car manufacturers are now copying it. Now of course you may say but they are not a Merc - but to be honest other car manufacturers are not far behind and some may be arguably ahead. I therefore think that there may be more effort on individuality, luxury and uniquess in Merc cars to try to compete in what is getting a more and more crowded market and as consumers becoming a bit more careful about their money and wanting more for their hard earned bucks. So interesting times ahead!
Old 06-18-2006, 05:16 PM

I agree, i STILL think the SLK is a chick's car, but like i said, i test drove the SLK55 just for fun, and then nothing else mattered anymore.

In California, the folding roof is mostly a novelty as it seems most people either drive a roadster as their weekend car only, or they just drive it top down year round. I don't think the SLK being a hard top convertible is a MAJOR factor in people wanting it.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:17 AM

SLK 55 AMG
I honestly don't give a **** if the SLK is a chick car. I have nothing to hide and I'm perfectly happy with my sexuality.

Those who consider it a "problem" in my honest opinion, need to just chill down a bit and see it under a new light. A car does not a person make.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:38 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
The SLK looks pretty good from the front and handles better than a SL, but is primarily branded my many as "girl's" or "hair dresser's" car, etc. If you can get over that nonsense and fit in one then I guess it is for you.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:56 PM

Damn....something's wrong if a hairdresser can afford a SLK55?
Old 06-19-2006, 02:25 PM

'06 Red SLK350 & '01 Black ML320
Originally Posted by cy0811
The SLK looks pretty good from the front and handles better than a SL, but is primarily branded my many as "girl's" or "hair dresser's" car, etc. If you can get over that nonsense and fit in one then I guess it is for you.
Just take a look at the old SLK (R170) and the new SLK (R171) and then drive them both.
You'll have no problem understanding why the R170 was not the first choice for men.
Now there is a total different case with the R171 and it will not be long untill the last "few" people will realise this is not a "girl's" or "hair dresser's" car, wheather they will admit it or not.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:18 AM

SLK 230
Hairdressers...

In reference to the previous post about hairdresser's you'd be surprised how much they actually do earn:

1. If you have a partner you will realise it is amazing how much they spend on their hair!

2. Most people i know tip their hairdresser as they don't want to walk out with bad hair!

3. Hard for the taxman (IRS in america) to know exactly how many customers they have and they work on cash basis hence easier to avoid income tax.

4. Some salons have their own hair products which also increases income.

Therefore for all those reasons earning six figures plus is not hard for them.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:20 AM

SLK 230
oh and sexuality.

Also my comments about sexuality are not meant as a criticism. I agree the SLK is a great car - but as Bush and Blair have learnt a reputation once earnt is very hard to shake off! (Just look at Skoda for a car related analogy - they actually make good cars but they are still trying to shake off their reputation). Just the way life is. But as I said in the end - drive them all and buy which one you like, after all it's your own hard earned money.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:55 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
My ex-hairdresser, who is a young lady, drives a CLS55....now I go to a male barber who has a miata.

Anyway, there will be those who appreciate the SLK55 for its power and new look, while some may still say its a girl's benz. I personally think the SLK55 front end is awesome, but would rather splurge for the SL55 if I needed more power since for me the SL is almost too small.

Is price a concern?
Old 06-21-2006, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
I think NeilC123 had some good points in general.

I find it hard to agree with the idea that "SL's are more common in Orange County, so get the SLK instead." There may be many reasons for someone to choose an SLK, but that is not one of them.

If you stop yourself from getting an SL only because it wasn't exclusive enough, that's a little bit daft. If you want to be more exclusive, go into higher price territory and consider Astons (not my thing, but anyhow), Ferraris and Lambos.

Generally speaking, one doesn't get a more exclusive car by going down the price ladder. If you take that logic a little bit further, you can skip the SLK, the Honda S2000, the Mazda Miata and go all the way to a 1984 Chrysler LeBaron. Try hitting a LeBaron with a rock in Orange County ... or anywhere else!
Old 06-22-2006, 12:13 AM

SL500 and S60R
Actually here in Santa Monica or anywhere on the Westside along with Hollywood, Beverly Hills, etc... SL's are a dime a dozen. People out here don't give them a second look... and I have a MY04 SL500. Whereas people seem to always do a double take while I catching a ride in my friend's SLK55.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:17 AM

SL500 and S60R
Originally Posted by IanSL55
Ha! Welcome to Shady Canyon!

~ Ian
Hi Ian, good friends of mine live up in Shady Canyon. Love the area.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:10 AM

'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
Originally Posted by NeilC123
In reference to the previous post about hairdresser's you'd be surprised how much they actually do earn:

1. If you have a partner you will realise it is amazing how much they spend on their hair!

2. Most people i know tip their hairdresser as they don't want to walk out with bad hair!

3. Hard for the taxman (IRS in america) to know exactly how many customers they have and they work on cash basis hence easier to avoid income tax.

4. Some salons have their own hair products which also increases income.

Therefore for all those reasons earning six figures plus is not hard for them.
Dealing in cash might boost net but not gross income.

And please, I'd say about 1 in maybe 1,000 hairdressers can make $100K+ a year if that.

Lets say a hairdresser gets 10 clients a day, 5 days a week, at $30 a head plus $5 in tips. That's a high $ estimate for most hairdressers but we'll run with it anyway. At least 1/2 goes to the salon leaving $15+$5 or $20 per head. Multiplied by 10 per day and five days a week that's $1,000 a week, times 52 week or $52,000 a year. 10 clients is rather high per day as well.

The girl who cuts my hair is 28 years old and rents a small apartment in Newport Beach for far more than she can probably afford. She drives a Honda Civic so old the badging has fallen off. She constantly complains about how she's barely making it, yet she's the #1 earner in the salon. It's not Vidal Sassoon but it's not a cheap place either (www.eighteeneight.com).

Originally Posted by robert_in_la
Hi Ian, good friends of mine live up in Shady Canyon. Love the area.
Great golf course if you know a member. I'm in the hills adjacent to Shady Canyon on the ocean side - the cars that pull out of that community are SICK...

Originally Posted by 1985MB380SE
I think NeilC123 had some good points in general.

I find it hard to agree with the idea that "SL's are more common in Orange County, so get the SLK instead." There may be many reasons for someone to choose an SLK, but that is not one of them.

If you stop yourself from getting an SL only because it wasn't exclusive enough, that's a little bit daft. If you want to be more exclusive, go into higher price territory and consider Astons (not my thing, but anyhow), Ferraris and Lambos.

Generally speaking, one doesn't get a more exclusive car by going down the price ladder. If you take that logic a little bit further, you can skip the SLK, the Honda S2000, the Mazda Miata and go all the way to a 1984 Chrysler LeBaron. Try hitting a LeBaron with a rock in Orange County ... or anywhere else!
OK we can close the thread on this post! HILARIOUS!

~ Ian

Last edited by IanSL55; 06-22-2006 at 05:22 AM.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:14 PM

2006 Brabus B55 (Brabus Modified SLK55)
Originally Posted by Florp
Here in Orange County (and much of SoCal), you can't throw a rock without hitting an SL, while SLKs are still fairly uncommon. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the SL, but everyone and their brother has one here.
I am coming in kind of late on this thread but I have to agree about the SL500 in Orange County. I have never seen anything like it. There are more SL500s in OC than any other car - the 911 is a close second. The ubiquity of the SL500, however, is not a reason to shy away from it. But 308 hp for over $120 K seems like a bad deal. For $140 K you can buy a Bentley Continental GT and get over 500 hp and a lot more exclusivity. In my opinion, the SL500 is the worst deal in the entire MB line of cars (a close second to that ridiculous R-class that is so underpowered it is just silly).

Why not get the best of both worlds and get the SL55 AMG. I wish I had. I like the look of the SL500 but find it vastly underpowered for the cost. with over 500 hp the SL55 AMG solves that problem.

Don't get me wrong, I love my SLK55 - especially with the mods I have. But the SL55 AMG is a true monster. I wish I had gotten one from the start. I ended up spending as much as a stock SL55 by the time I was done modding my SLK55. Then again, given the weight to power ratio of my SLK55 (I have it slightly above 400 hp modded) I think I can hold my own against any SL55.

I won't buy Mercedes again though. I like the Lambo too damn much. Even at $2-3 for every mile driven in maintenance I can't resist. I will be joining the ranks of the Raging Bull very soon.

Take care!
Attached Thumbnails Sl500 -----> Slk55-sl55-small-.jpg   Sl500 -----> Slk55-redlambo-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Beleriand; 06-24-2006 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:06 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 S500 & 350Z
Cant say much for I have not driven either cars, but maybe this video might be able to help you out a tad bit. This lady can drive pretty well I'd say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5LHG...h=slk55%20gear
Old 06-27-2006, 07:34 PM

2006 Brabus B55 (Brabus Modified SLK55)
Originally Posted by nitrousoxidex
Cant say much for I have not driven either cars, but maybe this video might be able to help you out a tad bit. This lady can drive pretty well I'd say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5LHG...h=slk55%20gear
I have seen this video many times before and I hate it. While I agree with her that the SL55 is probably a better car, I think her assessment is ridiculous. All she can say about the SLK is that the steering wheel is too big and the seats don't fit her right? She should try adjusting the seats and the steering wheel. She says nothing about acceleration, handling or braking - the things that really matter on the track. In the end, the SLK only lost out by .3 seconds on the track. But the way she talked about the SLK you would have thought it was a lot worse. I put absolutely no stock in her report whatsoever.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:29 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Beleriand: Vicky has always hated the SLK. Seen her comparison of the SLK 32 AMG versus a Z3? She slagged the SLK as if it was a POS.

Funnily enough, it seems to me that the SLK AMG seats are a bit more supportive then an SL AMG seats, and the steering wheel is the same size. She was just complaining for complains sake.

It's truly a disaster when you have a biassed reviewer reviewing a car.