SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Renntech Supercharger Project finale

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2006 | 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG, 2006 Range Rover Sport with Kahn Design Package
Renntech Supercharger Project finale

Renntech Supercharger project completed!

Video clips and photos!

Video clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0X9IiMJhrQ

Last edited by art@kronen; 04-11-2007 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-04-2006 | 01:34 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Excited to see it's all done! I was hoping to see a better video, but I guess we can leave that to Jesse (owner). I was suprised that it still uses the AMG intake. I guess it requires some modification so that the supercharger fits.

So, is it 100% complete, or do you now have to wait for RT to tune it?

BTW, where's Jesse at? He hasn't posted anything and it's his car?!
Old 06-04-2006 | 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

RT is flying today to tune it. WE going to dyno-tune it tomorrow. Dsb, i thought you were coming to witness the installation? Jesse is busy i guess, but he's going to get to drive the car on monday.
Old 06-04-2006 | 06:09 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Thanks for the invite. I've been too busy to run down there lately. I'm sure I'll see it soon enough. Looking forward to it. Keep up the pics/vids and the good work!
Old 06-04-2006 | 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
What is the projected power output? Have the brakes/chassis/suspension been upgraded as well? This looks like a neat car!
Old 06-04-2006 | 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
stay tuned

I've been keeping silent ... so that when it is done I can fill everyone in. As is, it is not done yet ... it still needs to be tuned by the RT team.

Since dynos are so inconsistent ... I've decided to do something a little different.

I got 2 baseline dynos. One is from a dynojet without load ... this seems to be the most commonly used. The 2nd is from a intertial based dyno which seems to be the other common type. Since each type can have different configurations ... it really is too hard to show everything but at least this way people can see the dynos from the two most popular types.

Both baselines were with my stock SLK55 with zero modifications. I think everyone has already seen my first baseline which was on a dynojet.

Just so everyone is clear ... inertial or load based dynos show a significantly lower HP number than those from a regular dynojet that isn't simulating load. This is exponential so I can't give just a percentage difference. It seems that the higher the HP output the greater the difference.

Just so everyone is aware ... this project is coming is phases.
Phase 1 : Carllson UL rims and wider tires
Phase 2 : Renntech Supercharger and ECU
Phase 3 : Headers
Phase 4 : Exhaust

I'm sure there will be other fun things for me to modify but I'll be taking them one at a time to make sure that I do get improvements.

IngenereAMG : This is a 030 SLK55 I don't really feel like I need to upgrade the brakes, chassis or suspension but we will see. If I do upgrade anything it will most likely be the suspension and then aerodynamics.

BTW ... can you say STEALTH???
Old 06-05-2006 | 09:56 AM

SLK55
Originally Posted by Jesseliu
I've been keeping silent ... so that when it is done I can fill everyone in. As is, it is not done yet ... it still needs to be tuned by the RT team.
Best of luck with your project! You are certainly paving the way for others!
Old 06-05-2006 | 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar

Since dynos are so inconsistent ... I've decided to do something a little different.

I got 2 baseline dynos. One is from a dynojet without load ... this seems to be the most commonly used. The 2nd is from a intertial based dyno which seems to be the other common type. Since each type can have different configurations ... it really is too hard to show everything but at least this way people can see the dynos from the two most popular types.

Both baselines were with my stock SLK55 with zero modifications. I think everyone has already seen my first baseline which was on a dynojet.

Just so everyone is clear ... inertial or load based dynos show a significantly lower HP number than those from a regular dynojet that isn't simulating load. This is exponential so I can't give just a percentage difference. It seems that the higher the HP output the greater the difference.

Just so everyone is aware ... this project is coming is phases.
Phase 1 : Carllson UL rims and wider tires
Phase 2 : Renntech Supercharger and ECU
Phase 3 : Headers
Phase 4 : Exhaust

I'm sure there will be other fun things for me to modify but I'll be taking them one at a time to make sure that I do get improvements.

IngenereAMG : This is a 030 SLK55 I don't really feel like I need to upgrade the brakes, chassis or suspension but we will see. If I do upgrade anything it will most likely be the suspension and then aerodynamics.

BTW ... can you say STEALTH???

The 030 was set up to handle 355hp..not a huge speed from a supercharger. It will apparent pretty fast if you need to do more. Good luck and be safe.
Old 06-06-2006 | 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Some numbers

Did the final tuning today ... was pretty happy with the results. Kronen should be able to post the dynos for the intertial based dyno. They will be posting before and after.

Just so you know when I was on a dynojet my baseline was 299.5hp SAE corrected. On the inertial dyno my baseline was around 255. We did several pulls and I think that was the average.

I still have to take my car back to the original dynojet to do a new pull with mods to see where it will be but I wouldn't be surprised to see it around 400hp SAE corrected.

After mods on the inertial dyno I was pushing around 326 HP SAE corrected. We tried 2 different flash programs of which both had good A/F ratios. We ended up going with the 2nd program which netted the 326.

I have to give thanks to the Kronen team as well as to Renntech. Fantastic service from everyone. The install went pretty much flawlessly and I am extremely impressed with the mechanic as well as the kit from Renntech.

The timeline was install on saturday from 7am to 7pm Saturday.
Sunday off.
Monday triple check the install(renntech went over it with a fine tooth comb) and fix a coolant leak due to a clamp. No time to dyno on Monday so pushed to Tuesday.
Tuesday, 2 hours at the dyno machine where they tried 2 different maps.

No engine lights came on ... no detonation or pinging ... just the sweet sound of a supercharger.

I will be taking the car back to the inertial dyno sometime around the end of next week to take another snapshot.

Adam ... feel free to post the video as well as both dynos. You can call the dyno place and get it ... I forgot to leave the post dyno with Art.

So end numbers are 71 HP SAE corrected improvement on a inertial based dyno. I'm positive that on a dynojet the numbers will easily exceed the numbers on Renntech's website. (Renntech uses a dynojet I believe) Renntech's website says that it should have a 98hp increase for the mods that I did. (This number is from the crank and not from the wheels.)

I'll drive the car around for a month or two and then get the Renntech Headers. I've asked to see if they can make me equal length headers which Renntech needs to give me a quote on. At that point possibly a carbon fiber hood. Again mucho $$$ but lets see what Hartmut can do. At this point I would trust Renntech and thier service and recommend them to anyone.

Drivability ... no issues to report ... easy to drive seems just like stock at low speeds, give it a little gas and WHOOoooo.

BTW if you need the name of the shop that did they dyno ... I would highly recommend them. Just PM me for contact info.

**all HP numbers are all at the wheel other than the Renntech 98hp number**
Old 06-07-2006 | 02:52 PM

RENNTtech C55
Jesse,

Congrats, I spoke to Ken this morning and he told me that you did the S/C.
Yes, get the headers and yes the air box as well. Headers are insane! Sound incredible.

BennyZ
Old 06-07-2006 | 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It was crazy crazy fast i tell ya!
Old 06-07-2006 | 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 E55 AMG
I love how it has the stock engine cover and air intake!!
Old 06-08-2006 | 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Originally Posted by MB AMG
I love how it has the stock engine cover and air intake!!
Yeah, Its stealthy
Old 06-17-2006 | 05:20 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Hi Jesse.

Congrats on your install.

Pal, you should always try & use a dynojet (that inertial measure is pretty worthless). What is your final rwhp rating on the dynojet (not done it yet?).

See ya,
-Matt

Did the final tuning today ... was pretty happy with the results. Kronen should be able to post the dynos for the intertial based dyno. They will be posting before and after.

Just so you know when I was on a dynojet my baseline was 299.5hp SAE corrected. On the inertial dyno my baseline was around 255. We did several pulls and I think that was the average.

I still have to take my car back to the original dynojet to do a new pull with mods to see where it will be but I wouldn't be surprised to see it around 400hp SAE corrected.

After mods on the inertial dyno I was pushing around 326 HP SAE corrected. We tried 2 different flash programs of which both had good A/F ratios. We ended up going with the 2nd program which netted the 326.

I have to give thanks to the Kronen team as well as to Renntech. Fantastic service from everyone. The install went pretty much flawlessly and I am extremely impressed with the mechanic as well as the kit from Renntech.

The timeline was install on saturday from 7am to 7pm Saturday.
Sunday off.
Monday triple check the install(renntech went over it with a fine tooth comb) and fix a coolant leak due to a clamp. No time to dyno on Monday so pushed to Tuesday.
Tuesday, 2 hours at the dyno machine where they tried 2 different maps.

No engine lights came on ... no detonation or pinging ... just the sweet sound of a supercharger.

I will be taking the car back to the inertial dyno sometime around the end of next week to take another snapshot.

Adam ... feel free to post the video as well as both dynos. You can call the dyno place and get it ... I forgot to leave the post dyno with Art.

So end numbers are 71 HP SAE corrected improvement on a inertial based dyno. I'm positive that on a dynojet the numbers will easily exceed the numbers on Renntech's website. (Renntech uses a dynojet I believe) Renntech's website says that it should have a 98hp increase for the mods that I did. (This number is from the crank and not from the wheels.)

I'll drive the car around for a month or two and then get the Renntech Headers. I've asked to see if they can make me equal length headers which Renntech needs to give me a quote on. At that point possibly a carbon fiber hood. Again mucho $$$ but lets see what Hartmut can do. At this point I would trust Renntech and thier service and recommend them to anyone.

Drivability ... no issues to report ... easy to drive seems just like stock at low speeds, give it a little gas and WHOOoooo.

BTW if you need the name of the shop that did they dyno ... I would highly recommend them. Just PM me for contact info.

**all HP numbers are all at the wheel other than the Renntech 98hp number**
Old 06-19-2006 | 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Matt

Sorry just got back from japan last week and haven't had time to take it up to Oakland for the dyno(same one that you used).

I'll try and see if I can get it done this week or next. We should try and meet up!
Old 06-19-2006 | 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, lets meet up and go "race"
Old 06-19-2006 | 02:27 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Sorry just got back from japan last week and haven't had time to take it up to Oakland for the dyno(same one that you used).

I'll try and see if I can get it done this week or next. We should try and meet up!
No problemo - I was posting from St Lucia the other day (on vacation....just got back last night myself).

You will surely see a rwhp increase over the stock 300 rwhp....just curious how much - we'll see when you get the time in the coming weeks. Congrats Jesse! Very cool my man!

PS - we should hook up after you dyno. I'll buy ya dinner at Los Altos Bar & Grill (the best French Dip au jus sandwich on the planet ).

Cheers,
-Matt
Old 06-19-2006 | 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Am I invited by any chance?
Old 06-19-2006 | 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Look forward to it

Can't wait to try that french dip sandwich!

And no your not invited adam. get to work!
Old 06-19-2006 | 04:27 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Can't wait to try that french dip sandwich!

And no your not invited adam. get to work!
Cool. FWIW, I don't mind if Adam comes - I'll buy him dinner too - seems like a nice fella.

See ya guys.

-Matt
Old 06-19-2006 | 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you Matt. Jesse, i am working!