SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Rollover Sensors in Air Ducts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rollover Sensors in Air Ducts

Has anyone noticed the rollover sensors located inside your front air ducts? I about fell over when I found them, as they block at leasy 50% of the opening. I took one off and searched the web to discover that they are tied to the SRS system - some sort of yaw/rollover sensor that must deploy the airbags if you flip the car.

What a terrible place to mount them. I'd bet that's why the C55 has a bit more HP - they're probably mounted elsewhere.

Has anyone run without them? The SRS light stays on when they are disconnected...
Old 09-05-2006, 12:58 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
can you post a pic?
Old 09-05-2006, 11:24 AM

2006 SLK55 AMG/// 2006 Porsche CaymanS 2010 135i
Originally Posted by tomato
Has anyone noticed the rollover sensors located inside your front air ducts? I about fell over when I found them, as they block at leasy 50% of the opening. I took one off and searched the web to discover that they are tied to the SRS system - some sort of yaw/rollover sensor that must deploy the airbags if you flip the car.

What a terrible place to mount them. I'd bet that's why the C55 has a bit more HP - they're probably mounted elsewhere.

Has anyone run without them? The SRS light stays on when they are disconnected...
The C55 has more HP because of the length of the exhaust system. Additionally, why would you remove something that is designed to protect you and your passenger?

Last edited by Marktini; 09-05-2006 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:28 PM

Marktini - If I was going to remove them, I already would have...Was curious if anyone had. So, do you know if the sensors are mounted in the same place on the C as the SLK?

DSB - All you have to do to see/find them is remove the plastic intake duct from the front clip on the radiator mount (they simply pop off). Stick your hand in the front part that is still attached to the car and you'll be stunned...
Old 09-06-2006, 04:26 AM

SLK 55 AMG
I doubt removing them would increase hp... There's no change done to this part of the car when Kleemann pumps out almost 600hp, so the airflow should be plenty.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:18 PM

2006 SLK55 AMG/// 2006 Porsche CaymanS 2010 135i
Originally Posted by tomato
Marktini - If I was going to remove them, I already would have...Was curious if anyone had. So, do you know if the sensors are mounted in the same place on the C as the SLK?

DSB - All you have to do to see/find them is remove the plastic intake duct from the front clip on the radiator mount (they simply pop off). Stick your hand in the front part that is still attached to the car and you'll be stunned...
I guess I mistook "I took one off...." for removal of the sensor. In any case what are you trying to accomplish by this? They have no effect on HP.