There shoudln't be a SLK63...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by Shinigami
Wrong. According to AMG, the engine fits just fine. It's almost the same size as the 55 engine..

Wrong...see post # 12.If it fit they would put it in the car.Ask Rob Allan over on the Private Lounge on Wednesday night if you don't believe me.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 55 AMG
The fuel pumps are separate entities, the talk was about the engine fitting inside the engine bay. As far as the 63 and 55 engines go, their size is nearly similar.

If they made a lower specced 63 model with 400hp or so, would they need the extra fuel pump? Maybe one is just enough. After all, Kleemann pumpsout 600hp meaning you need to pump more fuel to the engine (seems to work fine with the standard pump, as they apparently don't add a new one), and even the SLR engine fit in using the standard pumps it would seem?

So if the 63 has two pumps instead of one, won't the pumps be fittable elsewhere in the car, perhaps move the battery to the rear like they did with the Z4M (versus the standard Z4), and then you've got more space for the pumps.

I just don't see this being a technical issue. I see it as AMG trying to quieten things down because they're working on something for the facelift. Probably trying to rack up sales of the Black Edition (limited numbers) before they release something new during the mid-life face lift. There's just no way this car would be built for a duration of 4 or 5 years and then be entirely replaced. That's just way too short a duration to keep a car in MB's lineup which usually sells a model for over 7 years.

But... manufacturers do the darnest things. But a problem for MB or AMG, this is not. No way, it's just not envisageably. If a private person can add an SLR engine into the SLK (albeit the cutouts on the bonnet), AMG can do something similar (and look at the SLR engine bay... they've absolutely crammed it full of stuff, yet all of it fit the SLK).

And whilst were at it, go look at a CLK or E class 63.

Their engine bays are not that big, they're pretty much the same size as the SLK's. Yet all of the 63 stuff was fitted in just fine.

Just my two cents. So many people from so many directions are giving conflicting points of view with some insiders telling us it is underway, and other denying it. It's just usual automotive speculation, and when speculation becomes this loud, something very surely is being done behind closed doors.

Once again, just my opinion.

Last edited by Shinigami; 09-18-2006 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by Shinigami
I see it as AMG trying to quieten things down because they're working on something for the facelift. Probably trying to rack up sales of the Black Edition (limited numbers) before they release something new during the mid-life face lift.
I respect your opinion.Remember that the "Black Series" isn't coming to the US - where more than half of all the AMG's are sold.If they wanted to "rack up sales" it would be released over here.After being in Affalterbach last month and speaking with Rob Allan at the AMGfest at MBHQ in Montvale last month I can only relay what I was told.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:08 PM
Almost a Member!

slk63 will be on market soon...letz see..heh heh
Old 09-18-2006, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
blah who cares

At some point in the future they will make a car that is newer, cooler, faster than the current SLK55.

I'm in the boat that says it wont be before 2009. At most just a facelift and some minor upgrades.

Either way ... bring it on ... I"ll still smoke it.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:43 AM

SLK 55 AMG
"Something" will come sooner or later. It 'has' to be more impressive then the current SLK for MB to win over potential buyers.

Of course, if AMG themselves tell us "no, it isn't coming", I guess we need to believe them. For the time being, that is...

If the black series isn't coming to the states, then AMG must get something going. But will it be with the facelift, or will it be with an all-new car in 2009 or beyond?

But I guess we can all agree on one thing, the fact that we disagree lol

btw: what I'd find interesting, is if AMG moved the batter in the trunk in the same spot as the extra tyre. Then use the freed up space in the engine bay for the extra pump if needed. Seeing as the 63 engine is some 20lb lighter then the 55 engine, and the battery being lighter as well then the extra tyre in the rear, I would see the overall weight of the SLK going down by more then 20lb just based on these alone. This would also bring weight distribution closer to 50/50.

That would be sweet... a nearly 500hp SLK with less weight, but all the luxuries still intact. I personally can do without the extra tyre in the rear

Last edited by Shinigami; 09-19-2006 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
They should offer the Black Series seats in the SLK63. That would be my next ride.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:39 PM

2006 Brabus B55 (Brabus Modified SLK55)
Back to the original post for a second. An SLK63 for $70K? Huh?

That would be cheaper than the 2006 SLK55. My old 2005 SLK350 cost me $70K. If the car does come out, it would be way over $100K. That alone is enough to send people running. Once you get into six figure territory, you are too damn close to moving to the next level - e.g., Bentley, Maseratti, Aston-Martin, etc. I don't think there is a market for a six figure SLK.

To be totally honest with you, by the time I was done modifying my SLK, I had spent enough to buy a nice, lightly used exotic. Not that I really regret it, but if I had to do it all over again, I might make a different choice. The SLK55 is perfect at a median price point of around $85K.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by Beleriand; 12-22-2006 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by Beleriand
Back to the original post for a second. An SLK63 for $70K? Huh?
$70K starting MSRP sounds about right, that's just the starting MSRP, with no options, SLK55 is around $63K MSRP, so $7K extra for a new model seems about right. Of course if you click on all the options, it can certainly get into six figures. Just my two cents.