SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK exterior colors on other MB models?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK exterior colors on other MB models?

First-time poster here, so be kind.

The pic sticky is nice, but I want to see the color options in real life before ordering my 55. Does MB use the same colors (and with the same names) on other models? I understand that a color that looks good on a sedan might not look as good on the SLK, but at least I'll see the difference between the shades.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:36 PM
ON PROBATION

Each model has its own set of 'standard' and 'designo' colors, both inside (interior) and outside (paint). Obviously many colors can be found in common across the model range.

You can order any MBZ paint color on the model that you are ordering; if it is not one of the 'standard' paint colors listed in the brochure of the model and model year which you are ordering new, it will cost you an extra $1000-$2000 USD for the "Special Order Option" of going with your 'non-standard' color of choice. I do it all the time, well worth it to me.

Go down to a dealer who has alot of cars and look at the colors in daylight on different cars -- it really is the only way that you can educate yourself about color options and choice.

Photographs, paint chips, samples in brochures - and for sure the lousy color representations on the various MBZ websites like MBUSA - none of these are going to help you much, in reality.

Visit dealers, look at cars on the lot and compare what you see to what is listed as available in the various models' brochures. This is the method that I recommend.

Then order your new car in the exact color that you want it in.

Last edited by ClayJ; 10-09-2006 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
Originally Posted by ClayJ
Each model has its own set of 'standard' and 'designo' colors, both inside (interior) and outside (paint). Obviously many colors can be found in common across the model range.

You can order any MBZ paint color on the model that you are ordering; if it is not one of the 'standard' paint colors listed in the brochure of the model and model year which you are ordering new, it will cost you an extra $1000-$2000 USD for the "Special Order Option" of going with your 'non-standard' color of choice. I do it all the time, well worth it to me.

Go down to a dealer who has alot of cars and look at the colors in daylight on different cars -- it really is the only way that you can educate yourself about color options and choice.

Photographs, paint chips, samples in brochures - and for sure the lousy color representations on the various MBZ websites like MBUSA - none of these are going to help you much, in reality.

Visit dealers, look at cars on the lot and compare what you see to what is listed as available in the various models' brochures. This is the method that I recommend.

Then order your new car in the exact color that you want it in.
Second that, Check the colours that the dealer has on other cars then order your SLK
Old 10-10-2006, 06:30 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by TwiceBlown
... Does MB use the same colors (and with the same names) on other models?...
For a given model year in a given country, MB typically uses the same names for the colors. Though not all colors are available standard on all models.

From MY to MY the names may change, EVEN if the actual color does not (a marketing thing).

From country to country for the same color, the name can be (seems to be usually) different (again a marketing thing).

The color codes (i.e. the color number) is what you can go by. If it's the same number, regardless of the marketing name, its the same color. This is my understanding.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
Originally Posted by bloflin
For a given model year in a given country, MB typically uses the same names for the colors. Though not all colors are available standard on all models.

From MY to MY the names may change, EVEN if the actual color does not (a marketing thing).

From country to country for the same color, the name can be (seems to be usually) different (again a marketing thing).

The color codes (i.e. the color number) is what you can go by. If it's the same number, regardless of the marketing name, its the same color. This is my understanding.

True an example is Cubanite Silver which is acctually Pewter Gray in america