Brake Pedal "Creaking"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 SLK55
Brake Pedal "Creaking"

Hi,

I have an 07 SLK55. I was just wondering if anyone of you had this problem. The brake pedal, not calipers/pads, "creak" when I step on it. Sometimes it creaks 4-8 times as I come to a stop in traffic. This happens when the engine is ON or OFF, so I'm thinking it's mechanical. Car is only 6 weeks old with about 3000 KM's (about 2000 miles).

I'm just dissapointed in the quality of MB here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:05 PM

SLK 55 AMG
This is quite normal in high-end brake systems.

The calipers squaek against the rotors, and in many cars including lambo's and ferrari's, it's a lot worse. You're calling this a quality issue, when it is quite normal to find this in many performance cars.

However, this 'could' be a problem with your breaks, probably with the seating of the pads. They may need to be reseated or replaced. Or as happened with most owners, you just need to put a few more thousand miles on them for the squeak to go away or go down in volume to a barely negligable amount. Air temperature and moisture affects this as well.

Is there any other problems with your car? If not, then I think you're exaggering the "mb quality issue" and just like to be a bit picky. Chill down a bit and do a forum search. You'll quickly realise this is a perfectly normal thing in this car
Old 10-13-2006, 01:53 PM

07 SLK55
Originally Posted by Shinigami
This is quite normal in high-end brake systems.

The calipers squaek against the rotors

Hi Shini,

I wished you had read my post carefully. I said it was NOT the calipers...It was the BRAKE PEDAL inside the car.

My comment about dissapointed in quality is that in all my previous M3 and Cayman S, I was not dissapointed with quality. I may have been lucky. Those cars had some issues, I'm not debating it. I travel for business a lot, and in the process drive rentals. The only time I could remember experiencing these problems were on rentals, which in North America, are mostly American cars (Ford, GM, Chevy). So that is where my dissapointment comes from.

Either way, thanks for the response.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:45 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Only one owner that I know of, had a problem with their break pedal. It snapped and got repaired. You may also have a defective one, it might be rubbing against something.

If your M3 and Cayman have been flawless, all the more power to you. Personally, I know more then a few people who got tired of their M3 engines blowing up... Now THAT's a quality issue.

IMO, a pedal creaking versus an engine going bust, I know which one I'd take...

But anyway, have that pedal checked out. I definitely would be worried about it snapping or something, it is after all, a security device in your car...
Old 10-16-2006, 05:39 PM

07 SLK55
Drove to my local MB dealership and had a service advisor look at it and there is no immediate fear of it falling apart. He thinks it's the spring in the brake pedal mechanism. May need some lube. He suggested I make an appointment to take it in, or wait till the first oil service...I'm relieved.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:47 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 SLK55 AMG
few people who got tired of their M3 engines blowing up... Now THAT's a quality issue.
I can vouch for that! My 2001 M3 had the engine replaced twice and my 2003 M3 has had one at 20K KM's. Three engines in two years is not quality!!
Old 10-20-2006, 01:26 PM

07 SLK55
Originally Posted by CDN-SLK55
I can vouch for that! My 2001 M3 had the engine replaced twice and my 2003 M3 has had one at 20K KM's. Three engines in two years is not quality!!

Sorry to hear about the blown engines. Mine was an 03 M3 and I didn't have any engine problems...luck of the draw I guess.