SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Torque Wrench Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 07:26 PM

Received 133 Likes on 100 Posts
2023 GLE63S - Edition 55
Torque Wrench Question

I purchased a torque wrench today because here in the "Great White North", we have to swap tires around every so often because of old man winter. I initally purchased a short wrench about 15 or so inches and when I set it to 80-85 (saw a previous discussion thread) it didn't click at all. I assumed that the wrench was too short so I picked up another much longer one. The link is attached below. Is this one the proper type for wheels, it seems to click at what feels right but you never know for sure. Please advise.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber
Old 12-10-2006, 08:59 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 slk55
You should be fine with just about any torque wrench. I have one similiar to yours. It works fine for me.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:31 PM

Received 133 Likes on 100 Posts
2023 GLE63S - Edition 55
I guess im not up on the physics of torque wrenches. I assume that the length of the wrench must impact the torque values. The first wrench I purchased was about 15" long; the second one is 28" long. They both have the same torque number settings, but the length of the wrench must be factored in somehow ... After setting both of them to 80, using the short wrench, I tightened the bolt pretty hard and it didnt click. With the longer wrench, it clicked after much less pressure...
Old 12-10-2006, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 231 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
It's the physics of torque, not of torque wrenches. Torque is the product of the force you apply times the distance over which it's applied. (This simplified definition assumes you're applying the force at a right angle to the torque wrench.)

The same force (your muscles) will apply twice the torque to the bolt if you apply it with a torque wrench that's twice as long. The reason the short one didn't click is that you didn't put enough muscle into it to compensate for the shorter distance. Unless you have some experience with different wrenches, it's easy to think you're applying more torque than you really are with a short one -- or less than you really are with a long one.

Stay with the longer one. It's easier on the back and you won't overtorque anything because it won't let you.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
whoover's right. You have to physically push/pull harder on the shorter torque wrench to get the same 80 Nm twisting force on the bolt. You need to push/pull less hard on the longer torque wrench to get the same 80 Nm.

I got my torque wrench at Canadian Tire and it works great.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels
Torque wrenches need to be calibrated.
Whenever you purchase a quality torque wrench it should come with calibration data.That way you know that what you set it to is what it is.
These wrenches are most accurate in the middle of the scale, so if youre cranking it up to the upper part of the scale it would be best to get another wrench that is rated to read higher values.
When storing you should always back it off to the lowest setting to preserve it's calibration.