SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2007 | 10:59 AM

Transmission problem

Has anyone else had an issue with their transmission not engaging?

I was driving and came to red stop light. I stopped. When the light turned green I applied gas, but the vehicle wouldn't move. The RPMs went up, but no forward movement. So, with a line of cars behind me I put it in Park and then back to Drive. Still the same problem. Tried Neutral to Drive with the same problem. Tried Reverse and got the same results. Then I put it in Park and turned off the ignition. I sat for a moment and then restarted the vehicle. When I put it in Drive I was able to get home, about .5 a mile away, but it was making a new noise from the rear end.

It is in the shop now, but has anyone else experienced a similiar situation?

Thanks

Andy
Old 01-30-2007 | 12:43 PM

2002 C240
Our new/used car is doing something similiar. Only had it now a week.

Wife starts the car in the cold morning, puts the car in reverse and then drive, jerking both times and then the car will not shift out of second gear. It acts like the auto stick is engaged and will not allow it to shift.

She has to shut the car off and restart it. After which it runs fine. No clue what is going on.
Old 01-31-2007 | 01:19 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 SLK55
Andy, I think i had the same problem few months ago.. and in my case it was the torque converter .. changed it under warrantee .

check this https://mbworld.org/forums/slk55-r171/175102-gearbox-problem-can-i-still-go-kleemann.html

wish you all the best.
Old 01-31-2007 | 10:59 AM

Thanks,
I appreciate the response. The car is at the delaership now and I am just waitinng for a response. How long did the repair take? Days ? Weeks? Just curious.

Thanks

Andy

Originally Posted by McLarenSLR
Andy, I think i had the same problem few months ago.. and in my case it was the torque converter .. changed it under warrantee .

check this https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=175102

wish you all the best.
Old 01-31-2007 | 11:00 AM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by Catchmefucan

I was driving and came to red stop light. I stopped. When the light turned green I applied gas, but the vehicle wouldn't move. The RPMs went up, but no forward movement. So, with a line of cars behind me I put it in Park and then back to Drive. Still the same problem. Tried Neutral to Drive with the same problem. Tried Reverse and got the same results. Then I put it in Park and turned off the ignition. I sat for a moment and then restarted the vehicle. When I put it in Drive I was able to get home, about .5 a mile away, but it was making a new noise from the rear end.

Thanks

Andy
You have a defective transmission module. My SLK had the same issue at about .5k miles (2 yrs ago). I had MB flatbed it from the road where it "died" (I coaxed into a nighborhood road not too far from the Dealer, ironicly), they changed the tranny module (they had to order it which took 1 week), problem solved - the issue has never returned.

-Matt
Old 01-31-2007 | 11:45 AM
Almost a Member!

06 SLK 55, 05 G35 Coupe 6sp.
Mine did this while driving about 30 MPH. It just disconnected and would only move about 5 MPH no matter what the engine speed. Flatbeded it to the dealership. The next day they called me and said it was low on transmission fluid. I asked them where it went as there was nothing on the garage floor or on the tranny case, I looked. They said that the Benz 7 speed trannys have a safety switch that disconnects them if the fluid is low. Not sure I believe that. They never did explain where the fluid went. Works fine now.
Old 01-31-2007 | 04:57 PM

I received a call from the dealership service person today. They say it is a defective transmission and they will replace it with a new transmission. Problem is the transimissions are in Germany. He's looking for a local one, but I may have to wait a week or two before my car is ready. Fortunately, I have an Audi A6 2.7 T Street line as my daily driver. Should I ask for my next maintenance to be free for the inconvenience? Or just suck it up and leave it at that.

Thanks

Andy

Trending Topics

Old 01-31-2007 | 08:45 PM

05'H2, 01'Z3, 74 DeTomaso Pantera
If it were my car, I'd make sure they gave me a Merc rental from the dealership. (And this is under the premis that your car is a new 07', or, still under b-2-b warranty).
Old 02-01-2007 | 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by kaamacat
If it were my car, I'd make sure they gave me a Merc rental from the dealership. (And this is under the premis that your car is a new 07', or, still under b-2-b warranty).

Actually my Audi is acceptably comfortable and my 55 is a 2006 CPO with less than 10K. So, it is under B-2-B warranty. I have asked if there is an upgraded transmission tha can be put in the vehicle without affecting warranty. I should find out the response today.

Andy
Old 02-02-2007 | 09:50 AM

2010 SLK 350, 2010 Infiniti FX 35, 2007 SLK55 AMG, 1988 CRX SI
Cold Start?

Originally Posted by tsamptrail
Our new/used car is doing something similiar. Only had it now a week.

Wife starts the car in the cold morning, puts the car in reverse and then drive, jerking both times and then the car will not shift out of second gear. It acts like the auto stick is engaged and will not allow it to shift.

She has to shut the car off and restart it. After which it runs fine. No clue what is going on.
Yes, this has happened to me several times especially when it's cold out and I'm in a rush to get going.

If the car has been sitting for a long period of time (overnight), one possibility the fluids have settled and/or viscosity has changed because of the cold weather - I guessing that this may be a cause, so go easy on me my fellow members.

Next time when you start your car, let it run for more than a minute or so. I haven't had the problem since doing this way. See if this works for your SLK.
Old 02-02-2007 | 07:42 PM

04 CLK55, IWC CLS55 AMG(one of 55), 07 Honda CR-V 4WD
Originally Posted by Catchmefucan

Thanks Andy
Replace the valve body or check the tranny oil. If the oil is clean and sufficient, your valvebody has some foreign objuects like small metals.
Do you drive your car very hard?