SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Wind Noise on Interstate highways

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 06:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wind Noise on Interstate highways

The Slk 55 is much quieter when compared to a Boxster S

On intersatge highways areound 60 to 80 MPH plus speeds there is lot of wind nose from the rear of the car's roof area, Is this normal for a convertible?
Old 02-27-2007, 09:01 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 slk55
Originally Posted by smjc_99
The Slk 55 is much quieter when compared to a Boxster S

On intersatge highways areound 60 to 80 MPH plus speeds there is lot of wind nose from the rear of the car's roof area, Is this normal for a convertible?
Are you asking about the SLK55 or Boxster? Anyways, about the SLK... I think it's noisiest when the roof is up with all windows down. I'm not sure if that's the norm with a convertible but I accept it as is.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:05 PM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
I'm still amazed how people want a quiet ride yet they get a convertible car. If you don't like the wind noise from the roof area or the extra noise from not having a solid roof overhead, get a coupe or sedan. Be happy that you can drop your top when you want to take a nice cruise somewhere while others have to settle for only a sunroof or nothing at all.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
'05 SLK55, Obsidian, black/red, light and premium pkg., COMAND with nav, airscarf, Sirius
One of the major reasons I bought an SLK was because of the retractable roof. I enjoy having the alternative of being able to put the top up and drive in relative quietness. I've owned convertibles in the past and didn't like having to hear all the road noise when the top was up.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:25 AM

SLK 55 AMG
The SLK is the quietest convertible out there with the top up. Some wind noise however may happen due to the form of the vehicle causing turbulences and the like.

Still, go drive a few other convertibles and you'll see that they're much worse.

However, what you may be experiencing is a poor seal between the windows and the rubber spacers on your roof. The windows can be adjusted higher/lower to cause a tight fit, and there's been some reports of a collapsed rubber joint on the rear window causing a whistling wind noise (fixed under warranty). Inspect your car closely for all of this, and if in doubt, find out if you can drive another SLK at the same speeds (ask your dealer for a test drive or find a fellow SLK owner who can take you for a drive).
Old 02-28-2007, 06:00 AM

Looking for a new toy.
Originally Posted by Racin_fool
I'm still amazed how people want a quiet ride yet they get a convertible car. If you don't like the wind noise from the roof area or the extra noise from not having a solid roof overhead, get a coupe or sedan. Be happy that you can drop your top when you want to take a nice cruise somewhere while others have to settle for only a sunroof or nothing at all.
With the SLK55, you get a solid roof overhead *L*. On the highway, mine is as quiet as any other hardtop car I've been in - no windnoise, no rattles, nada.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:01 PM

'06 SLK55 AMG, '05 Lexus RX330, '98 Toyota Tacoma 4X4
My SLK55 is quiter than most coupes on the freeway. I have no idea what it's like with the windows down and roof up, seems a bit crazy to me.