Gas smell from exhaust?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65
Gas smell from exhaust?

I have been getting a strong gas smell coming from the exhaust, at least I think so. Almost like unburnt gas. It's most noticeable when I warm the car up in the morning in the garage or when I'm parking it when I get home because of the smaller area and no wind to disperse it, but every now and then I get a whif of it when at a light. Any ideas what it could be? The E has never smelled like this.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:00 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 slk55
I've smelled that too. Sometimes I think its coming into the cabin maybe from the vents?! Not sure. Anyways, I've popped open the hood. I didn't see anything nor smelled anything. I don't even smell it at the exhaust tips. Yes, I actually got down there and took a whif... but nothing. If you figure it out, let me know. I mostly get it the harder I drive. I thought maybe it was an issue with the catalytic converters not burning something off.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65
Originally Posted by dsb
I've smelled that too. Sometimes I think its coming into the cabin maybe from the vents?! Not sure. Anyways, I've popped open the hood. I didn't see anything nor smelled anything. I don't even smell it at the exhaust tips. Yes, I actually got down there and took a whif... but nothing. If you figure it out, let me know. I mostly get it the harder I drive. I thought maybe it was an issue with the catalytic converters not burning something off.
I'll ask the service guys about it when I take it to have my CF parts installed if I can't manage it myself. I don't want to break something putting them in and I haven't found instructions on how to remove the oem parts yet.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
I get the same thing too, Dont know how does it get in to the cabin