First ride in an SLK55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
First ride in an SLK55

So, my friend picked me up this morning around 1:30 AM at a local supermarket we meet at. Had an SLK55 with him and took me for a ride. Damn, that thing is quick and the exhaust note is great. And nothing like getting thrust back into your seat. Looks really mean too.

The only thing was that the car probably needed wider tires for traction, the ESP was going off all the time. Too bad it doesn't have the supercharged 55 engine either, but maybe that will be too much? Idk. It was a great ride. Always had a thing for SLK's when they first came out and have always wanted one, but dad wouldn't let me get a 2 seater since he already has a CL500.

Last edited by gaazmon; 08-04-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 SLK55, 08 R32
I love my car! With the wider the tires I do have better traction but it still goes out. I can't imagine what the SC charger guys are going through!
Old 08-04-2008, 03:28 PM

Porsche 911 Carerra 4S
Yes, SLK 55 AMG is a really nice car ! I adore my ride, too!!!!!!
Old 08-04-2008, 07:19 PM

2006 SLK55
Speaking of ESP, I was speaking to some Austrian I met who's big time into Benz. He said that if you hold the ESP button down for extended time (like 5-10 seconds) it will completely shut off? Any techy's who can chime in?
Old 08-04-2008, 08:01 PM

RHD C200 Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
Originally Posted by lsufan
Speaking of ESP, I was speaking to some Austrian I met who's big time into Benz. He said that if you hold the ESP button down for extended time (like 5-10 seconds) it will completely shut off? Any techy's who can chime in?

No techie, but.... It differs from MB model to model, and there's no way as far as I know to "just" completely disable ESP. The closest you can get in the SLK is to go into "dyno" mode, which *completely* disables all the smarts, including ESP.

For the SLK :

Here's how. To start, turn the ignition key to the first accessory position, making sure the dash display shows the odometer. The SRS airbag light should be on. Press the trip odometer reset button three times rapidly before it goes off. If you do this right, a screen will appear showing a voltmeter. Then press the "up" arrow on the left side of the wheel twice to take you to the "ESP dynamometer test" screen. Using the plus (+) button on the right side of the wheel, select "on." And then start the car. Warnings will appear informing you that the ESP, ABS, and BAS (brake assist) aids are now turned off and you're on your own.

If you did it right, you've put the car in a mode intended for diagnostic testing on a rolling dynamometer—all electronic supervision is unplugged. Unhindered by techno-aids, the SLK's grip on the skidpad improved by 0.03 g compared with simply hitting the ESP switch on the dash. To return all the safety technology, scroll back to the dyno test screen and select "w/t. 15 off" with the minus (-) button. Shutting off all the electronic aids isn't easy, and that should tell you something. Owners are not generally privy to the dynamometer mode; therefore, we will continue to publish test numbers attained with the dashboard ESP switch turned off. We just thought you'd want to know!
Oh, and LSU? You in Baton Rouge?! :-)
Old 08-04-2008, 10:20 PM

2006 SLK55
Sweet...track time. Thanks. No Baton Rouge now, Orlando.