SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

What's with Designo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 SLK55 AMG palladium silver w/Bengal red leather
What's with Designo?

I have a 2006 SLK55 (irridium silver) that I'll be replacing soon by another and I'm thinking about a Designo graphite.

1. Does anybody know why there's longer any info on Designo in the last 2 editions (2008 and 2009) of the SLK-class brochure? In earlier editions there were 2 pages with lots of photos.

2. Where can we get official info on Designo? There's no Designo brochure, no Designo website, and nothing on the mbusa website (at least I can't find anything). Isn't that a bit strange? Also, the mbusa site has mysteriously lost the "build the car" option for the SLK55, so I can't get Designo pricing info. A while back I saw prices for "Designo interior" and "Designo exterior." Is getting one without the other possible?

3. Anybody have photos of a Designo graphite SLK55 (interior and exterior)?

Thanks.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:26 AM

SLK 55 AMG
If I go to Mercedes-Benz.ch and take a look at the Swiss brochure, there's plenty of Designo stuff in there.

The roll over bars are about 1000chf
The ceiling (inside) in Designo alcantara is about 2000chf
The leather pack (seats etc) is about 5500chf
You can get some interior bits and pieces for ~1000chf if you don't want the entire kit with seats
Designo paint is anywhere from 3000 to 5000chf depending on if you want standard Designo or the Mystique (colour changing) paint

The online catalogue has a few pages of pics as well... but not much.

If you go to www.mbslk.de (a nice SLK dedicated website, but in german), you can see some Designo pics in the galleries section. Use http//babelfish.altavista.com to translate into English or French etc..

My dealer once had a champagne colored Designo SLK55 AMG, and boy was it hot. Too bad Designo is soooo expensive. It's great for a non-AMG because it really improves the seats of the SLK, but the AMG already has nice alcantara/leather seats in dual tone color, so it's a bit overkill on an AMG. But if you have money to burn, I'm sure Mercedes-Benz would be more then happy to deliver
Old 10-06-2008, 07:59 PM

2013 SLK55 AMG palladium silver w/Bengal red leather
Thanks, Shinigami, but since my initial post I've learned:

1. that the Designo package is no longer available on ANY SLKs delivered in the US.

2. that the individual components, such as Designo metallic graphite, are not available either, even as a special order, on the SLK55AMG.

Too bad. I really like that graphite.

Last edited by Frenchie; 10-07-2008 at 01:41 AM.