Cars with out factory HID /Xenon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS, SLK, ETC
Cars with out factory HID /Xenon

Can I simply use an aftermarket kit? (ebay or wut not) Or is it a lot more complicated ?
Will that throw any error codes?
Old 08-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Please STFF. This has been answered numerous times.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
Please STFF. This has been answered numerous times.
Roger~Now, I know it works on C-class but I just wanted to check it would be same for SLK as well..

Thanks
Old 08-25-2010, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
Can I simply use an aftermarket kit? (ebay or wut not) Or is it a lot more complicated ?
Will that throw any error codes?
Always good to ask questions in my opinion.

Yes, you can do this. However, you are unlikely to achieve results identical to or really close to factory. However, you can come reasonably close.

I recently installed a MTEC kit from ebay. The kit seemed quite good quality.

Slight problem is I don't love the beam pattern, and the bulbs shake sometimes (I think they are picking up vibration from the way I mounted the ballasts). Eventually I'll tweak it some more.

I chose 4300k to look as close to factory as possible. The light is much improved. It's actually brighter than my factory HID on C Class. I've driven by my own car too, and the lights did not glare with the standard projectors that come on the SLK.

Some people get the DDM Tuning kits for much cheaper and achieve as good or better results.

There are little bits and accessories like that bulb holders included with the MTEC kit that make it an easier process.

MTEC also has built in way to prevent computer from coding, built into the ballast no extra thing to hook up.

The DDM requires an external cancel thing they sell for like $12.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Originally Posted by mac911
Always good to ask questions in my opinion.

Yes, you can do this. However, you are unlikely to achieve results identical to or really close to factory. However, you can come reasonably close.

I recently installed a MTEC kit from ebay. The kit seemed quite good quality.

Slight problem is I don't love the beam pattern, and the bulbs shake sometimes (I think they are picking up vibration from the way I mounted the ballasts). Eventually I'll tweak it some more.

I chose 4300k to look as close to factory as possible. The light is much improved. It's actually brighter than my factory HID on C Class. I've driven by my own car too, and the lights did not glare with the standard projectors that come on the SLK.

Some people get the DDM Tuning kits for much cheaper and achieve as good or better results.

There are little bits and accessories like that bulb holders included with the MTEC kit that make it an easier process.

MTEC also has built in way to prevent computer from coding, built into the ballast no extra thing to hook up.

The DDM requires an external cancel thing they sell for like $12.
Awesome~!! Thank you for your input!!
Did you had to take your car to the dealer to change the light setting to "Xenon avail"?
Old 09-07-2010, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
Awesome~!! Thank you for your input!!
Did you had to take your car to the dealer to change the light setting to "Xenon avail"?
Hi.

Not with MTEC kit. MTEC kit has built in something that tricks computer and no computer error (at least for me and the couple people I know that also used the kit).