SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK 55 AMG - Instrument Cluster Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slk 55 amg
SLK 55 AMG - Instrument Cluster Problems

Can anyone help !!!!! I have a 2005 SLK 55 AMG which has lost its memory just like we do when we get old. The instrument cluster appears to have lost its back up power when the car is switched off. On start up, the clock winds backwards until it locates the GPS time and the Info Computer loses all reference to any previous data, so I lose the fuel consumption and average speed readouts, etc.

That is the lesser of the two annoying problems it presents, the real irritation is that sometimes on start up the instrument panel remains absolutely dead and remains so until I remove and refit fuse number 30 (I think, the one listed for instrument panel alongside the glove compartment) which returns the instruments to life. When the instr cluster is dead, so are the controls on the steering wheel.

I have to carry a pair of long nose pliers around so I can perform this operation. This dead instr cluster story happens occasionally but the loss of memory is on every start up.

Please help with some good suggestions. The car is out of Maintenance Plan so I'm trying to keep the repair costs down.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 SLK 55 amg, 2002 CLK 430 Cab (hers), 1989 944 Turbo (sold), CLK 500 (sold), 125cc shifter kart
I have not heard or read of such a problem. Strange. Must be a short somewhere; sounds like a dealer item unfortunately.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:12 PM

slk 55 amg
Thanks for the bad news. I am afraid you may be right. It is a nuisance. I will see if anyone comes up with any ideas then I will have to succumb to the dealer.

Thanks for your trouble.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:01 PM

Low Battery

I don't drive my 55 very often, but when I fired it up on 12/26, the car wouldn't crank, COMAND shut down, and the clock went nuts.

I called roadside assistance and they ran a battery test. The voltage was low, so they put a power supply to the car's main battery and the beast fired right up!

Mine's a 2007 w/ 22k miles. It was sitting for about 3 months. The MB Mechanic from roadside assured me that once I drive around for about 15 minutes - the car would start up again... if there was an alternator/charging problem with the battery, the MFD would go red and say "visit workshop."

Turns out it was just the cold weather sapping the battery.

I haven't had problems for the few days I drove it afterward - but I did notice that I lost the Trip data for the past 19k miles

I might get a trickle charger from MB for $80 so this doesn't happen again... but I'm hoping the battery kills off just before my warranty expires (but that NEVER happens!).
Old 01-16-2011, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
Originally Posted by in2dwww

I might get a trickle charger from MB for $80 so this doesn't happen again... but I'm hoping the battery kills off just before my warranty expires (but that NEVER happens!).
why not get a float charger from walmart for 20$ and send the remaining 60$ to me as a consulting fee?