SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Maintenance costs???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 08:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mustang GT convertible, Porsche 997.2 cab
Maintenance costs???

I have a Lexus SC430. Maintenance and repair costs are pretty high, but thankfully not much breaks. This is a decent handling car, but throttle response and performance are poor. I really want something that goes a lot better.

I have been looking at the SL55 AMG for about 6 months and came close to buying a few times. My budget is around $30k, so I'm definitely looking at 10 year old models. I get scared off by maintenance and repair costs; especially relating to the ABC system and intercooler pump and components. Plus, past experience has taught me it costs a lot more to make something heavy go fast, than something light.

So, I started looking at the SLK55 AMG. It seems to weigh at least 800 lbs less and doesn't give up much in performance. I don't know a lot about these SLK models, but I haven't read any of the warnings about maintenance I've seen from the SL 55 AMG. With my $30K budget, it looks like I can find some pretty nice low mileage 2006 - 2007 models.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or comments from those who own one. It's seems like a lot safer purchase for my pocket book.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 SLK55, 2014 E63 Wagon
Mine has been reliable, but the service at the dealer can get pricey. I did have electronic components fail within the last 4 years (crank position sensor and the smart key sensor). The car is a simpler design, big V8 with a standard suspension, than the SLs. The roof is probably the most complex system. Performance is good and it feels much lighter. It has been a blast to drive and I will be holding on to it since it's getting hard to find cars with these specs.

There are several great independent shops out there and that can help you keep costs down. Good luck on your car search.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 SLK55, 2014 E63 Wagon
Forgot to mention, you should be able to find these at prices that are much more friendly to your wallet. Tires are cheaper too and the power makes it easy to go through the rears quite quickly (as you should expect from any proper RWD AMG)!