My new SLK 55........

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi RS4
My new SLK 55........

......is on the way.

Just heard that I have a confirmed December build date which means that it should arrive sometime around Christmas - nice pressie!

I have ordered the v-max variant which adds €2,000 to the price and two weeks to the delivery time which brings the total cost up to an eye watering €74,000 or just under GBP 50,000. Still seems like a bit of a bargain compared to a (less powerful) Porsche.

The "toys" have added quite significantly to the price, mostly the top-end stereo and COMMAND Sat Nav, but also the AIRSCARF and Xenons.

Can't wait
Old 06-03-2004, 05:21 AM

987S
Re: My new SLK 55........

Originally posted by MartinH
......is on the way.

Just heard that I have a confirmed December build date which means that it should arrive sometime around Christmas - nice pressie!

I have ordered the v-max variant which adds €2,000 to the price and two weeks to the delivery time which brings the total cost up to an eye watering €74,000 or just under GBP 50,000. Still seems like a bit of a bargain compared to a (less powerful) Porsche.

The "toys" have added quite significantly to the price, mostly the top-end stereo and COMMAND Sat Nav, but also the AIRSCARF and Xenons.

Can't wait
What is the "v-max" version?..... I've never heard of it! Also I was told by my MB dealer that Xenons were standard on UK spec SLK55 AMGs? is that not the case? Finally do you know how far up the waiting list you are? I was told that I'm around 100 in the list and shouldn't expect the car until August 2005.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:14 AM

Audi RS4
Re: Re: My new SLK 55........

Originally posted by SLK55AMG
What is the "v-max" version?..... I've never heard of it! Also I was told by my MB dealer that Xenons were standard on UK spec SLK55 AMGs? is that not the case? Finally do you know how far up the waiting list you are? I was told that I'm around 100 in the list and shouldn't expect the car until August 2005.
The V-Max version is the unrestricted version (Velocity-Maximum) as normally the car is subject to the industry 250 kmh. The V-max version has a top speed in the region of 280-285. I understand that the change is mor than just a chip upgrade but also different tyres. Ordering the v-max adds about 2 weeks to the delivery time. Anyone can order this off the AMG options list.

Not sure about UK-spec cars as I live in Germany but the xenons are an option here (the base spec car is however considerably cheaper than the UK base car - at current exchange rates it works out to around GBP 42,000 whereas the UK base car is, I believe, in the region of GBP 49,000).

Because I live in Germany that also explains the delivery date and I imagine RHD versions will be much later. I have no idea where I am on the local waiting list but production starts in September and I placed my order two months ago - so I can't be that far down.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:58 AM

987S
Thanks Martin...... because you quoted the price for your car in GBP I guessed (wrongly) that you were in the UK.

Unfortunately we have to wait a bit longer over here as the first AMG builds aren't due until January...... the higher base price may also explain why the Xenons appear to be included (although AIRSCARF isn't included in the base price!). I sort of guessed what the V-max version would be and it should be much more useful for you on the Autobahns....... no point in the UK as we have so many speed cameras you can't go over 100mph without risking a driving ban.

Enjoy the car and post some pictures when it eventually arrives!...... what colour did you go for?
Old 06-03-2004, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
I live in the US and mine will be here late September/Early October...
Old 06-03-2004, 01:00 PM

Porsche Cayenne S
You can get the SLK55 by Sept/October? Are you sure? That is so cool!
Old 06-03-2004, 09:22 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
C63s coupe
SLK55 in US in Sept/Oct? ...

That is not what any Northern California dealers are saying. They are hoping to have showroom SLK350s by late this month just so they can generate orders.

I took #1 on the list for a 2006 model year.

And I managed to get European delivery!

That used to be "impossible" on AMGs but then I heard some larger US dealerships were able to get maybe one a month that way. At first my salesman balked, but then he pointed out to his manager that my current CLK55 & ML320 (2 of 7 MBZs to date) came from them and we are set.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:55 AM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
No guarantees

Yeah, Mercedes started taking European Delivery orders on AMG SL55's at one point only to contact everyone sometime later to cancel them. If history repeats itself you might want to protect yourself by either ordering a non European Delivery AMGSLK and/or placing a European Delivery order for the 350SLK.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:40 AM

RX-7 TT, SLK55 on order
I have not bought a brand new car since 1986. I just placed an order for an SLK55 for my wife. I've never even driven a Benz & I'm laying down $60 - $70k over the other car we were looking at (a Jaguar convertible XKR).

I hope all this Benz hype about quality & satisfaction is true. I guess we'll test drive a 350SLK if/when they start arriving before the AMG versions. If we don't like the feel, we can cancel I suppose.

The car looks nice & it should perform pretty well (better than the XKR at least). We sat in a C32 at the Dealer & it seemed pretty slick, I must say. I got back into my '93 RX-7 twin turbo & it felt like a lightweight "tin can"....but its not supposed to be a Merc either:p . The AMG will be slower, but its build quality is FAR superior to my older RX-7 (and just as good, if not better, than the XKR we had been evaluating, in my opinion).

As long as the wife is happy, that's all that matters. I just hope there are no 1st year fit/quality issues. I've read about the 1st Gen SLK having 1st year issues on this Forum...... I hope history does not repeat itself.

See ya,
-Matt
Old 06-04-2004, 01:07 PM

SL500
Martin

Thats cheap - I take it its a LHD and not to full UK spec?

RHD drive is onlt 3040EUR, so even with GE prices I can't get a reasonable spec SLK55 below GBP52.7k without Vmax (at EUR1.49/GBP)

Are you getting a discount? If so PM me immediately!

Where in Germany are you - I used to live in Bavaria.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
Actually, got an update:

Just got a call from the dealer, and he confirmed that the build date will be in mid-july.

Meaning that my SLK 55 will be here late August/Early September.

**** just gets better!
Old 06-04-2004, 07:23 PM

C 32 AMG (203.065)
Don't want to spoil you guys good mood, but the SLK55 is having it's first production in October.. The SLK350, production July.. not sure if your dealer is mixing things up there..
Old 06-05-2004, 04:09 AM

E500
Hi,

I just order a SLK 55 for my customer as:

Airscarf (Head-area heating, German Option Code 403)

- Bi-Xenon Headlights with Headlight washer system. (German Option code 614)

- Factory break-in / theft alarm system with optional Interor protection (German Codes 551 and 882)

- Interior Lighting Package (German Code 876)

- Air Condition System Thermotronic: upgrade from the factory Thermatic (automatic, sensors etc.) (German Code 581)

- External and internal mirrors electronically dimm in bright light (German Code 249)

- Command DVD Navigation System (With Radio, DVD, 9 Speakers) (German Code 527)

- CD Changer in Glove Compartment (German Code 819)

- Sound-System Surround (Harman/Kardon), 11 High-end speakers, 380Watt. (upgrade to Logic 7 9 speakers!) (German Code 810)

- Tire-Pressure loss warning sensor (German Code 477)

- Driver Seat, Steering Wheel, outside mirror electronically set WITH memory (German Code 275)

- Passenger Seat, electronic, with Memory (German Code 242)

- Parameter steering (speed-sensitive power steering) (German Code 213)

That is the first order I took. I can't wait to see the car get to dealership. The customer already have driven in Germany which the dealership there already have the test drive car. The delivery for Germany is sometimes in 08/04.

Last edited by rusnakmb; 06-05-2004 at 04:11 AM.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:49 AM

Audi RS4
Originally posted by SLK55AMG
no point in the UK as we have so many speed cameras you can't go over 100mph without risking a driving ban.

Enjoy the car and post some pictures when it eventually arrives!...... what colour did you go for?
Believe me I can sympathise with you all in the UK as I am a brit and lived in the UK until 1999. I've been in Germany for 5 years and although there is still a lot of traffic on the roads here you can still find lots of decent unrestricted stretches. I regularly drive my current car (Audi RS4), safely and legally, at over 200 kmh (and occasionally at 250+ - but the amount of concentration required to drive at that speed makes it unviable for any length of time).

I've gone for Obsidian Black metallic - at the launch in my local garage that has a new SLK 200 in that colour with an AMG bodykit and it looks exceptionally smart
Old 06-06-2004, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLK55 AMG
clk 55

how is the clk 55? better than an M3?
Old 06-06-2004, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
Originally posted by MadC32
Don't want to spoil you guys good mood, but the SLK55 is having it's first production in October.. The SLK350, production July.. not sure if your dealer is mixing things up there..
October is when the standard official release of the SLK55, meaning that its production should start a month or two earlier.
My dealers have always lived up to what they said, and I know I can trust my dealer.

Speaking of 350, they should be getting some by the end of this month. I have a friend who has ordered a 350, and he went in about 3 weeks ago to confirm all his options, because his car was being built mid-may.
Old 06-06-2004, 04:29 PM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Dinko - are you getting a European spec SLK55 which is being modified there in Florida? I recall when the new SL came out there were a few dealers in Florida and Las Vegas who were bringing in early production cars prior to the official US release but they had to be modified to meet US standards. Otherwise it would be really frustrating to have your car built and sitting in a fenced yard somewhere for two or three months waiting for the official US release date in late October-Novemeber.
Old 06-06-2004, 05:57 PM

C 32 AMG (203.065)
Originally posted by dinko
[B]October is when the standard official release of the SLK55, meaning that its production should start a month or two earlier.
My dealers have always lived up to what they said, and I know I can trust my dealer.
In case of a new model being introduced into the market, there are cars being produced in advance, but as for new engines, those cars aren't built before the offical release.

But I'll inform myself, if the U.S.-market release differs from ours.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
None of those to answer your questions guys. It's not a European deliver, and no it wont be modded to US standards.

The car will be the same car if I were getting it now or in 2 years.

No one said anything about getting the car 2 - 3 months in advance. I should be getting the car about 2 - 3 weeks tops prior to release.

Guys, they're not gonna start building them in October and release them in October...

It's almost like a Soda Drink (Mountain Dew Live Wire for ex). Their release is supposed to be in Summer, while they released them a bit earlier. See where I'm coming from?

In short, I will post pics of the car early september, when it ships.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
In case of a new model being introduced into the market, there are cars being produced in advance, but as for new engines, those cars aren't built before the offical release.
What engines? I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're saying...
Old 06-07-2004, 01:01 AM

C 32 AMG (203.065)
I'll try to explain. A few weeks ago, the new SLK had it's official release (March 04) with the SLK 200 (I doubt you'll be getting that statesside, but not sure). Those cars were produced in February in order to have them at the dealerships on time. Now in July production of the SLK350 is starting, but since this is not a new car, but a new engine, theres no need to have them built in advance for a official market release.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:04 PM

2006 CLS 55 AMG
THE NEW SLK IS AWESOME IT WILL BE A NICE ADDITION
Old 06-08-2004, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
I'll try to explain. A few weeks ago, the new SLK had it's official release (March 04) with the SLK 200 (I doubt you'll be getting that statesside, but not sure). Those cars were produced in February in order to have them at the dealerships on time. Now in July production of the SLK350 is starting, but since this is not a new car, but a new engine, theres no need to have them built in advance for a official market release.
oh ok
Old 07-04-2004, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by MadC32
do you think its an old car with a new engine ? hehe its totally a new car.... dudeeeeeeee
Old 07-14-2004, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by MartinH
......is on the way.

Can't wait

Martin,

Congratulations on your new car, great christmas present I have a question for you, what is the AIRSCARF? thanks!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My new SLK 55........