SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK 55 AMG competitors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 05:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by UStifosi
That's assuming the M3 engine hasn't spun all of it's rod bearings yet.

How BMW manages to sell $50k cars with engines that grenade amazes me.

Say all you want about the reliability of M-B the last few years at least they don't have the engine blowup fiasco that BMW faces. What an *** mess.

well said dude!
Old 09-15-2004, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I own an 04' M3 Convertible (SMG)... It looks like the SLK55 amg will be in the same price range so I bet they will be competing with BMW.... But the next generation M3 will have 400bhp V8!!! That's something to consider... I'm going to purchase the SLK55 just because I think it's one of the best looking cars I have ever seen (even though I have only seen it through internet pics)... Plus I have always been a big fan of AMG cars... Unfortunatly, I live in the Chicago area which means that I couldn't drive a sports car until March the latest because of the snow.... So I'll compare them then, but I'm sure plenty of tests will take place in the top magazines by that time.
Concerning the reliability issue with the M3 engine, I haven't had any kind of problems so far and it is the best built car I have ever driven!!! I am subscribed to quite a few M3 forums and have only heard of one engine blow up... Lord knows how he drove it!!!
Old 09-21-2004, 04:41 PM

SLK55 AMG
you have a good taste for cars
Old 09-23-2004, 09:43 AM

Audi RS4
Interesting - as I have just gone the other way. I had ordered a SLK55, but cancelled it as I couldn't shake off the image that 99% of SLK's are driven by women, the lingering "hairdresser" image and the fear that occasionally (very occasionally) I will need more than two seats. I've therefore ordered a 997 "S". It definitely comes our as more expensive (approximately €90,000 compared with €73,000 for the SLK) but I think ultimately its worth it - the porker has the heritage that Mercedes can (still) only dream about.

Originally Posted by dosers
I had pre-ordered a new 911 (997) S before deciding to go with the SLK55; I have been buying Porsche for years, but I simply felt it was time for a change. Yeah, the regular 997 is fairly close to the SLK55, but you'll end up paying more for options, if you want to deck it out, than on the Mercedes. And the 997 S added almost 10 Grand to the deal right off the bat so that in the end the 997 is quite a bit more; and no convertible until April in Germany (probably not until late Summer in the US).
I think Porsche would argue that their car handles better; and they probably would be right. Porsche has traditionally not been the torque / HP king, but rather concentrated on handling. The 99 I have handles very well, and even a boxster, while having many downside, handles better than many current Mercedes. I think the SLK55 is a better deal overall (especially compared to the new S) and, not having driven the 55 version, the 350 handles really well indeed.
ANyway, just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Dan
Old 09-23-2004, 01:26 PM

2005 MB SLK 55 AMG
Hallo Martin,

yeah, I actually had a deposit down on the 997 S, but cancelled that in July for the SLK55. I have driven Porsche since '96 (had the Boxster and the now the 996) and, frankly, I wanted to try something new. No particular reason; I've been pretty happy with Porsche and the quality of the cars (though nothing's perfect, even Porsche). I do like the 997 quite a bit (though I am still not crazy about the interior) and the decision wasn't easy. I also wanted to get a Cabrio again, which I would have had to wait for till next summer. I have never had a big problem with the 'driven by women' moniker, but that's just me. I hated the old SLK, it's just the new one, AND being the AMG that I liked even before introduction. In the end, no car's for life. I might love it, or I might think 'oh well' and go back to Porsche in 4 years. I don't think I (or you) would be unhappy with either car.

The S is very cool. I drove the standard 997 and it's so so - frankly not to different a feel from my 996. The interior to me is bland (I do like the exterior better than the 996 though). The S had a nice kick to it - and a much better sound as well. As for the backseats... have you tried getting in and out ? ;-)

I am renting the 997 in next month in Berlin, for a few days to check it out over a longer period (avis fun cars in Deutschland fuer unter 200 Euro pro Tag, 250 km & Versicherung inklusive) but I am set on the Benz for now.

You'll love the S, it's a pure Porsche, that's for sure :-)

Best,
Dan

Originally Posted by MartinH
Interesting - as I have just gone the other way. I had ordered a SLK55, but cancelled it as I couldn't shake off the image that 99% of SLK's are driven by women, the lingering "hairdresser" image and the fear that occasionally (very occasionally) I will need more than two seats. I've therefore ordered a 997 "S". It definitely comes our as more expensive (approximately €90,000 compared with €73,000 for the SLK) but I think ultimately its worth it - the porker has the heritage that Mercedes can (still) only dream about.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:37 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by MartinH
Interesting. Pay 23% more for basicly the same performance & in return you have a car that has rear seats built for 2 foot tall monkey (or someone with no legs) . Additionally, I think with the SLK55, one gets some exclusivity. There are so many 911s where I live, they are like Mustangs (EVERYONE has one).

Its OK! Different tastes for different folks. 911's are indeed very nice cars. But for me, the 911 Cab top does not fold away neatly, everyone has a 911, its more money, doesn't have rear seats that adults can use for more than 5 minutes, and is not as visually stimulating (although it appears Porsche "heard" all the complaints that the recent designs lacked lines & looked more like an egg) :p

Well, enjoy your 911. Its a well built car, engineered to the hilt, and performs well. They just don't do much for me anymore .

-Matt
Old 09-24-2004, 02:13 AM

Audi RS4
I actually drove a 996 back in 2001 when I was looking for a new car and felt at the time that it wasn't the right car for me (even though I loved the look the sound and the image). At that time I bought an Audi RS4 and have really enjoyed driving it for the last three years - and while the power is excellent, the handling leaves something to be desired. I'm not big on convertibles and to me the attraction of the SLK was the power of the 55 engine.

Both the SLK and the Porker are / will be a common sight on the road where i live and, I must admit, while there are a lot of Audi A4's, the relative exclusivity of the RS was fun. In fact had Audi got there game together and launched a new RS as my car was coming up for renewal I probably would have bought another one.

I'm looking forward to three years with the Porsche and I'm sure the SLK 55 will also be huge fun. Hopefull my kids don't get too tall in the next three years!
Old 09-28-2004, 03:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
c6 driving

If you're around SFBA, then you can drive c6 on 17 (gm driving event in San mateo)
Old 10-27-2004, 05:25 AM

SLK55 AMG
I like the C6 .... but is the Z06 still a better performer?